OFFICIAL | GAME DAY Post Game Round 5 | Bulldogs 30 - 26 Roosters

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Yes, the 2nd ref was brought in because of the perception that the game was becoming too fast, hectic and complex for 1 ref to manage alone. Was hoped it would take away the obvious missed events that can turn games and to manage the ruck and 10 metre rule, which was becoming too “skinny” under 1 ref. Also removed adjudication on scrum feeds.
The 2nd ref was removed for well known reasons.
I’d agree, I think now, somehow they may need to reconsider a 2nd official on the field as a secondary pair of eyes to support the primary controlling ref, with a very a clear restricted mandate on their role.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I had been saying for many years before it happened that two refs were needed in NRL because the game was becoming too fast.

And due to rule changes brought in by a commission who apart from WaynePearce have never played the game at this level, we end up now with a game that is totally different and not necessarily better than it was 25 to 30 years ago.

I knew from my experiences in A Grade Park football over 30 years ago, how difficult it is to watch the markers and all the other rubbish that goes on in the ruck, as well as keep what was for most of my time a good five metres, which got to ten by the time I had finished.

You have to rely a lot on touch judges to tip you off by extending their flag when the outside backs creep up offside. No one was miked up in that era.

Unfortunately if the touchies are inept, you are in a difficult position, and I was many times. When it got to semis was a lot better because the junior league put the better referees who were not doing a game in that grade on the field as touchies.

Players obviously know modern day refs can’t see absolutely everything and thus push the envelope as much as possible.

There are games where 30 penalties and six agains combined could be blown, ithey aren’t because it will reduce the spectacle.

We all saw what happened to Matt Cechin when he blew 30penalties and sin binned Cameron Smith at Shark PRk in 2017. Never again did he do an origin game or Grand Final, and he was one of the incumbents in all of those in 2016.

Botton line is most referees manage games rather than referee them. Ivan Cleary made this point after playing Canberra at Penrith a couple of years ago.

chemdog

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Shit. was looking forward to heading down there today.. 1st grade usually head down there the day after games too.
potential 5.30 game tonight at this stage depending on the roosters to agree to it

KLil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
well hopefully they're consistent with it in other games
They have been. That tackle was outlawed a few years back now, even in the AFL.

I literally looked for the tackle last night to sus it out again because i didnt see his head hit the ground during the game but after watching it again, damn im surprised Sualii came back on and Hughes wasnt sin binned.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
PS the new tigers HQ looks pretty smick
Cost ~$80m.
Only happened due to multiple funding sources - Canada Bay Council (who are also a tenant), NSW and Fed Govs plus there’s other tenants like cafes. Belmore has the CoE funded for $40m from NSW Gov but they really need to consider a mixed use facility like public gyms / cafes etc if wallets are to be pried open further.

chemdog

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Have to do it today as Daylight Saving ends tonight so tomorrow afternoon would get too dark too early and Belmore lights don’t meet criteria (at least NRL but likely NSWRL) for night games now. No Fox/Kayo coverage by the looks of it either - #SuperSaturday
didn't we play storm at belmore few years ago on a Monday night dk why we can't use the lights for a nsw cup unless something has changed from then

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
didn't we play storm at belmore few years ago on a Monday night dk why we can't use the lights for a nsw cup unless something has changed from then
I think he meant due to the storm the ground flooded could have impacted lighting maybe. I know some houses in Newcastle had roofs fall through Sydney most likely the same

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Yep we did (play Storm at night) but under revised guidelines a while back Belmore no longer meets NRL lighting standards for night games hence all Belmore games in recent years have been day games. Not sure if NSWRL follows same the criteria but kick-off being brought forward by 30min suggests they likely do.

Robbothedestroyer

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Put in a top shelf 1st half especially the first 25 minutes and the 2nd half was utter dog shite. Will we see the 1st half or the 2nd half performance rolled out for the rest of the year ??

KLil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Yep we did (play Storm at night) but under revised guidelines a while back Belmore no longer meets NRL lighting standards for night games hence all Belmore games in recent years have been day games. Not sure if NSWRL follows same the criteria but kick-off being brought forward by 30min suggests they likely do.
Why does the name Cameron Smith come to mind?