Possession needs to be treasured

True Blue

old dog
Reaction score
Looking through all of the games for the last 4 or 5 rounds (may as well say for the entire season so far), many of the games have again started to blow-out. If you look closely, it is easy to see that in these games the possession flow is always around that 60/40 range. In this day and age if you can only secure 40% possession, it is obvious that you are going to struggle (unless you are one of the top 6 teams).

The way in which the doggies have coughed up possession is clearly not helping our chances. Our error rates and turnovers are killing us and then to add to the worries, we probably have the highest 6 again calls against us. Referees have certainly been harsh on the bottom teams in this regard......some warranted and some in my opinion not so......particularly when you see the opposition committing the same offence, but with impunity.

The doggies need to work hard and incessantly on the following if they want to improve and turn it around:

1. Dramatically improve their fitness levels
2. Work hard on improving their discipline, not to make errors or give away penalties at crucial times
3. Treasure the possession that they have and retain that possession......last year we had the best completion rate, but not so this year.
4. Start believing in themselves
5. Start communicating with each other on the field.

Quite clearly in my opinion, improved fitness levels will also result in improved discipline and reduced errors. The club has not had a great fitness regime and process since the days of Folkes as coach.

Interested in your thoughts

Aristidiz

Bullwog
Reaction score
Looking through all of the games for the last 4 or 5 rounds (may as well say for the entire season so far), many of the games have again started to blow-out. If you look closely, it is easy to see that in these games the possession flow is always around that 60/40 range. In this day and age if you can only secure 40% possession, it is obvious that you are going to struggle (unless you are one of the top 6 teams).

The way in which the doggies have coughed up possession is clearly not helping our chances. Our error rates and turnovers are killing us and then to add to the worries, we probably have the highest 6 again calls against us. Referees have certainly been harsh on the bottom teams in this regard......some warranted and some in my opinion not so......particularly when you see the opposition committing the same offence, but with impunity.

The doggies need to work hard and incessantly on the following if they want to improve and turn it around:

2. Work hard on improving their discipline, not to make errors or give away penalties at crucial times
3. Treasure the possession that they have and retain that possession......last year we had the best completion rate, but not so this year.

Quite clearly in my opinion, improved fitness levels will also result in improved discipline and reduced errors. The club has not had a great fitness regime and process since the days of Folkes as coach.

Mate I agree possession goes a big way in winning a game, but even in the games where we have had the majority of possession we have not been able to capitalise by putting points on the board, this leaves us demoralised when the other team marches over into our 20 and scores within 1-2 sets due to a dud defensive read.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Mate I agree possession goes a big way in winning a game, but even in the games where we have had the majority of possession we have not been able to capitalise by putting points on the board, this leaves us demoralised when the other team marches over into our 20 and scores within 1-2 sets due to a dud defensive read.
Well said.!!

Ant2611

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Agree. Getting rid of Dan Ferris will go a long way in achieving this.

oldpuppy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We've also seemed to be getting good at getting held up over the line.
Any opposing player that sniffs our line finds a way between our multiple defenders.

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We've also seemed to be getting good at getting held up over the line.
Any opposing player that sniffs our line finds a way between our multiple defenders.
Because everything we do is in slow motion. So predictable and easy to read.

DaBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Mate you should coach us, you seem to know more of what needs to change than the coach.

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

I agree possession is important. However I also believe what we do with possession is pedestrian at best. We are making basic fundamental errors running basic plays.

I go the other way and believe we should throw caution to the wind more. We should throw structure out the door. Play eyes up expansive football. More in the Walker brothers coaching model.

All teams have structured defensive patterns to nullify structured attacks. We play structured at a slow pace and get nowhere.

Time to throw caution to the wind a bit more and play expansive football. Start having fun out there. The last rounds of recent seasons we have relaxed and played more expansive football and done well with the season over. This season is already over. Let’s relax and play footy now ffs.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Our completion rates the past 2 years have actually been good but obviously we don’t do much with it. One of our biggest problems is the set restarts we give away. We are the highest penalised team in relation to this. Also a lot of them come late in the count.

The 2 main culprits are Jackson and JMK. Whilst the both of them continue to play big minutes this problem will remain

Yougra

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I agree possession is important. However I also believe what we do with possession is pedestrian at best. We are making basic fundamental errors running basic plays.

I go the other way and believe we should throw caution to the wind more. We should throw structure out the door. Play eyes up expansive football. More in the Walker brothers coaching model.

All teams have structured defensive patterns to nullify structured attacks. We play structured at a slow pace and get nowhere.

Time to throw caution to the wind a bit more and play expansive football. Start having fun out there. The last rounds of recent seasons we have relaxed and played more expansive football and done well with the season over. This season is already over. Let’s relax and play footy now ffs.
Spot on. We seem to always be using that "structured" play where Jacko gets it and gives it to one of the halves and we try to get it out wide but like you said it is so pedestrian that the opposition easily defends against it. I can't recall one successful backline spread where we have created an overlap and or space for our wingers like every other team seems to do. It doesn't and isn't working for us

I'm certainly no coach but surely we should be putting more focus on creating attacks from our offloads. I think I heard them say the other night TPJ is leading the competition in offloads....but I can't recall seeing us make a line break as a result of that

Both TPJ and King are great at the offload when they have 3 defenders on them. Surely that creates some sort of gap in the defensive line when they offload. We need Dufty, BBO and even JAC sniffing around for the offload to capitalise on and create something from that second phase play.

We need something else attacking wise rather than the predictable out the back play. The more I think about it both Burton and Flanno look like robots when they just continually pass out the back without any variation. This must be the coach's instruction to stick to the set play. It's not working

Yougra

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Our completion rates the past 2 years have actually been good but obviously we don’t do much with it. One of our biggest problems is the set restarts we give away. We are the highest penalised team in relation to this. Also a lot of them come late in the count.

The 2 main culprits are Jackson and JMK. Whilst the both of them continue to play big minutes this problem will remain
Yep, that penalty Jacko gave away for offside in the first couple of minutes the other night was infuriating. We could all hear the ref calling out to him but to no avail. What is that, lack of discipline, just plain stupid...I don't get it.

And JMK is always treading a fine line with his hand on the ball in the tackle. Again you can hear the ref calling out to him to get off the ball. Our discipline for things like this absolutely sucks and puts us on the back foot defensively every game and it always involves these 2 guys

How the coach doesn't address these things is beyond me. These are things we can control

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Because everything we do is in slow motion. So predictable and easy to read.
JMK, Flanno and Jacko are the culprits! They've got slow hands and feet to start with, then about 1 in 10 of their collective passes hit a bloke on the chest. All have to go, at least to the bench.

Barrett can't make any player improve so he and his assistants have to go too.

Reactions: CMP

DaBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
JMK, Flanno and Jacko are the culprits! They've got slow hands and feet to start with, then about 1 in 10 of their collective passes hit a bloke on the chest. All have to go, at least to the bench.

Barrett can't make any player improve so he and his assistants have to go too.
That’s 100% accurate - slow hands. If you look at the Panthers and the Storm, fast hands is the key. We have JMK who terribly slow from Dummy Half, so it give the opposition plenty of time to work out where the ball is going. If only our Coach understood and could put a rocket up the side to do the same.

True Blue

old dog
Reaction score

Don't disagree with you in any way. The big issue however, is to play expansive free flowing football, the team needs to be fit and I question whether they are as fit as they need to be. I recognise that it is a long season and that fitness will improve, but there is no excuse for the levels of fitness that we have shown. I support a less structured game and a bit more free flowing ball movement, but that needs people like the Fox and Dufty need to be roamers to support the ball carrier. I also agree that we do not do enough with the possession that we actually get....

True Blue

old dog
Reaction score
Spot on. We seem to always be using that "structured" play where Jacko gets it and gives it to one of the halves and we try to get it out wide but like you said it is so pedestrian that the opposition easily defends against it. I can't recall one successful backline spread where we have created an overlap and or space for our wingers like every other team seems to do. It doesn't and isn't working for us

I'm certainly no coach but surely we should be putting more focus on creating attacks from our offloads. I think I heard them say the other night TPJ is leading the competition in offloads....but I can't recall seeing us make a line break as a result of that

Both TPJ and King are great at the offload when they have 3 defenders on them. Surely that creates some sort of gap in the defensive line when they offload. We need Dufty, BBO and even JAC sniffing around for the offload to capitalise on and create something from that second phase play.

We need something else attacking wise rather than the predictable out the back play. The more I think about it both Burton and Flanno look like robots when they just continually pass out the back without any variation. This must be the coach's instruction to stick to the set play. It's not working
As I have said, our faster more agile players should be doing more roaming looking for those offloads. The more I watch this team, the more I believe that Burton would be better suited to the centres where he blitzed it for the panthers. He gets a bit more room there to use his good footwork. Thr problem than becomes the issue of who to play at 6. At the moment Burton & Flanno rarely take the line on......we are just too slow & predictable.

True Blue

old dog
Reaction score
Mate you should coach us, you seem to know more of what needs to change than the coach.
Just expressing my views on what is turning into a very ordinary season.......no coaching job for me.....I couldn't take the shit that comes from the Kennel to be honest.