Poor Officiating

Status
Not open for further replies.

cookieman909

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just want to make note and see of anyone else noticed this last night. Most of the game when tigers had the ball, the refs had us back 15m. Yet when we had the ball, he had the Tigers back 10m, and even then most players were 2m in front of him when we played the ball.

This explains the poor start as tigers were marching 60-70m each set due to having such a big gap, yet we struggled to get out of our end due to them being only back 8m and offside.

Tegga

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also I think the Tim brown kick should have been a try since he still ends up in front of rona before he catches it so that should put rona onside

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
I have massive questions about the integrity of the NRL but in our game I noticed officiating that I would consider altered in a way to directly influence the outcome. Luckily it didn't as the difference between the dogs and tigers showed true in the end. The refs gave very soft penalties to the Tigers which allowed a constant momentum to them, allowed two different ruck speeds between the teams (tigers fast and us slowed down). Not sure what the penalty count ended up but there was no consistency and the allowing of a fast game speed for the tigers directly helps their chances. It would be a given that allowing teams to play quick against us is a massive advantage. As long as it is consistent I have no problems but it was blatant in my opinion.

As another note I thought the general did well in the bunker last night with very quick decisions and not drawn out.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I didn't see any issues with then 10m.

But I do think the Tigers received a few soft penalties in the first half.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I agree with the comments here regarding the officiating in first grade but one of the most disgraceful and corrupt/inept decisions of the night belonged to the referee of the Intrust game who denied us a fair try to Matt Frawley which would have had the potential of swinging the advantage our way when the score was 10-6 to the Tigers mid way through the second half. . Rules that the Tigers ground the ball in their own in goal giving the decision goal line drop out when the only hand that got to it and grounded it was that of Matt Frawley. If that official ever sees first grade it will only make me surer that there is blatant stupidity within the refereeing ranks. Watch the replay and trust me you will be just as pissed as we all were last night at the ground.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I have massive questions about the integrity of the NRL but in our game I noticed officiating that I would consider altered in a way to directly influence the outcome. Luckily it didn't as the difference between the dogs and tigers showed true in the end. The refs gave very soft penalties to the Tigers which allowed a constant momentum to them, allowed two different ruck speeds between the teams (tigers fast and us slowed down). Not sure what the penalty count ended up but there was no consistency and the allowing of a fast game speed for the tigers directly helps their chances. It would be a given that allowing teams to play quick against us is a massive advantage. As long as it is consistent I have no problems but it was blatant in my opinion.

As another note I thought the general did well in the bunker last night with very quick decisions and not drawn out.
According to the stats penalty count was 7-5 against us. We got a few even ups late in the game.

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It's just another work hazard for the dogs , I think des has the team managing the ref calls better than last year.

Josh Reynolds and Graham have shown way better composure this season than last and have managed to regather a lot quicker .

I'm sure des has used pschycology or philosophy to manage the adverse ref calls

Football for the bulldogs is like like the ocean , you can't stop the waves but you can learn to surf

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
It's just another work hazard for the dogs , I think des has the team managing the ref calls better than last year.

Josh Reynolds and Graham have shown way better composure this season than last and have managed to regather a lot quicker .

I'm sure des has used pschycology or philosophy to manage the adverse ref calls

Football for the bulldogs is like like the ocean , you can't stop the waves but you can learn to surf
So true Wolfie. Sometimes it really does seem as if we are playing not only against the opposition but also the officials. To their credit the boys are just taking it on the chin and not dwelling on it, something that did not happen last year.

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
So true Wolfie. Sometimes it really does seem as if we are playing not only against the opposition but also the officials. To their credit the boys are just taking it on the chin and not dwelling on it, something that did not happen last year.
Glad you see it too ,dogluva gives my opinion some credibility.

You just have to remove the emotion and focus on the objective.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
According to the stats penalty count was 7-5 against us. We got a few even ups late in the game.
Wow I am honestly shocked at 7-5, if I had to guess I would have put money on 11-4. Refs were running the pace of the game by their decisions.

chriso

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I agree with the comments here regarding the officiating in first grade but one of the most disgraceful and corrupt/inept decisions of the night belonged to the referee of the Intrust game who denied us a fair try to Matt Frawley which would have had the potential of swinging the advantage our way when the score was 10-6 to the Tigers mid way through the second half. . Rules that the Tigers ground the ball in their own in goal giving the decision goal line drop out when the only hand that got to it and grounded it was that of Matt Frawley. If that official ever sees first grade it will only make me surer that there is blatant stupidity within the refereeing ranks. Watch the replay and trust me you will be just as pissed as we all were last night at the ground.
Yep seen that game and I to was pissed.
Agree with all said

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The players and coaching staff were obviously frustrated. Hasler started on the refs in the presser but caught himself.

ouwet

Bulldogs 4 Life
Reaction score
I personally didn't have to much of a problem with the officiating and didn't pay to much attention to the 10 metres from either side, however if what you say is correct (A little bias I think), it's awesome that the boys can overcome it...

bleedblue&white

go the berries
Reaction score
It's very easy to explain what happened last night....for the majority of the game we had D Klein on our defensive line, whereas the Tigers had the non-dominant ref. This happens very rarely as the ominant ref usually controls the 10 for both sides. It's as if the NRL came into the game with the view that the Tigers aren't going to be penalized so they gave them the ref who doesn't have any authority to actually blow a penalty! Was a very strange occurrence but that is why we lost the penalty count!
You are 100% spot on!!
I had that exact conversation with my brother while we were watching the game.
He was losing his shit at the penalties the tigers where getting compared to zero for us!
I pointed out that Klein was controlling us in D and the other guy was controlling the tigers!
The difference in ruck interpretation, the ten meters and line speed was out of control and proves the fact that put two refs out there get two different games!

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Most refs piss me off lol. I did think they fucked up when Carr held Rona back. That was a professional foul imo, and to top it off he doesnt even make the line in defence and just stands offside when we play the ball.

froggy

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Also I think the Tim brown kick should have been a try since he still ends up in front of rona before he catches it so that should put rona onside
Spot on. It was a terrible decision. How no-one else has picked it up is beyond me. Once the kicker runs past any player, that player is automatically onside. Basic rule of the game and General Patton was so busy trying to look impartial that he forgot a basic rule.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Spear tackle missed
2 professional fouls missed
laying all over the ruck
at least 1 try disallowed that should have been given.

and Briscoe (ref for NSWRL) was a joke too.

Nexus

Super Duper Ultimate Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Shit calls happen every game. Refs aren't Refs anymore.. they are conductors. They pick and choose when to enforce rules depending on the feel and flow of the game. Eg - Teams a mile ahead wont get penalties when they should and teams getting flogged will get alot of soft ones. You can predict quite accurately when penalties are going to be blown.

Slick

Young Gun
Reaction score
Can go the other way too re: penalties

A team that just made a break or is smacking the other team is more likely to get a ruck penalty than a team making two metres a run because it seems like there's more slowing or interference in the ruck against a team playing well - a team that is playing shit but continues to be infringed on in the ruck may be passed over as "forwards tired from being dunked being slow to get up" or whatever

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Here's a rhetorical one... how does a ref who enjoys Rugby League and supports a side, fairly officiate a game for a team he supports?

Status
Not open for further replies.