Polygamous marriages 'protect women'

Status
Not open for further replies.

xeno

xXxeno
Reaction score
19:06 AEST Tue Jun 24 20081 hour 52 minutes agoVIEWS: 0| FLOCKS: 0| 0 comments so farMembers of Sydney's Islamic community believe polygamous marriages should be recognised to protect the rights of women.

What do you think? Let us know your thoughts.

Sheikh Khalil Chami of the Islamic Welfare Centre in Lakemba said polygamous marriages, although illegal, existed in Australia and should be recognised.

"... Not an open door but in a way everyone will have control," he told Triple J's Hack program.

"It's a bit hard, very difficult, but unless we face it, how (do) we overcome it?

"If you know there is law that will help you, there is community will help you. Why not? Why not change the law?"

Sheikh Chami said he was asked almost weekly to conduct polygamous religious ceremonies.

While he declined to perform such ceremonies, he said, other sheikhs did not.

"There are a lot of sheikhs here without any qualifications, without any place," he said.

"They'll conduct that marriage no problem at all."

Islamic Friendship Association of Australia president Keysar Trad said recognising polygamous unions would help protect the rights of women in the relationship.

Mr Trad once proposed to another woman with the consent of his wife, Hanefa, but the second marriage did not proceed.

"I certainly would not have entertained the thought of having a relationship without a religious marriage and I thought the relationship with that person was developing to the stage where we had become too friendly with each other," he told the program.

"Rather than entertain any thoughts of an affair I thought the only decent thing to do was to consider a proper commitment to that person.

"This idea of plural sexual relationships, it is not so much frowned upon by society as long as these people don't say we want a polygamous relationship."

Mr Trad's mother was a third wife in a polygamous relationship overseas and he said the women had admiration and respect for each other and supported each other.

"In a sense, it's a compliment to the original partner that if he didn't find marriage to be so good why would he go into it again," he said.

"In a sense, he's saying that his first wife has made life like heaven for him so he's willing to provide the same service, love and support to a second woman."

He said women were choosing to enter into such marriages.

Mrs Trad said many people in polygamous marriages kept it a secret - not only because it was illegal, but because society did not accept it.

"Tell you the truth, the hardest part of it (is) the way the others perceive it not what's happened between me and him," she said.

Asked if it was just about wanting sex with more women, she said: "Yeah it can be, but having it in the right way instead of having it in like go to prostitute or just date".

Whoreessssssss

iWahash

Hannant
Reaction score
Whoreessssssss
Whores? Are you normal? Can you read? So a woman who marries only one man is a whore but a woman who has multiple boyfriends throughout a year and ****s them is alright? I knew society was ****ed, but this goes above and beyond what I had expected

xeno

xXxeno
Reaction score
Whores? Are you normal? Can you read? So a woman who marries only one man is a whore but a woman who has multiple boyfriends throughout a year and ****s them is alright? I knew society was ****ed, but this goes above and beyond what I had expected
Turn the tables and make it the woman who marries four men and to you she will be a whore.
You are a hypocrite, they are whores, how can you share partners, they are with the guy for financial security.
They are the same as hookers but take payments in a different way
I think you should question your own normality

Abdul..

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Im muslim and wouldn't even entertain it. Personally against this type of thing.

Scooby Doo

Waterboy
Reaction score
Mate i can't even handle one woman, i'd be totally farked if i had more than that

PineappleBoy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Turn the tables and make it the woman who marries four men and to you she will be a whore.
You are a hypocrite, they are whores, how can you share partners, they are with the guy for financial security.
They are the same as hookers but take payments in a different way
I think you should question your own normality
If you turn the tables that means your calling the guy a whore when he has 4 wives. The girls arnt

xeno

xXxeno
Reaction score
If you turn the tables that means your calling the guy a whore when he has 4 wives. The girls arnt
The guy should be clasified a whore, how could you look your wife in the eyes.
But the point is if a women married many men Lollipop Ayr would be calling her a whore for having 4 men at once

PineappleBoy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The guy should be clasified a whore, how could you look your wife in the eyes.
But the point is if a women married many men Lollipop Ayr would be calling her a whore for having 4 men at once
Yeh but in your first post you said "whooorrressss" at the end.
The guy is the one u should be calling the whore not the girls.

Cos if you turnt he table ud be calling the wife a whore and hte 4 husbands would not be.

xeno

xXxeno
Reaction score
Yeh but in your first post you said "whooorrressss" at the end.
The guy is the one u should be calling the whore not the girls.

Cos if you turnt he table ud be calling the wife a whore and hte 4 husbands would not be.
Read what the woman says down the bottom, they are whores in much the same way a hooker is, all for their financial safety at the end of the day

PineappleBoy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Read what the woman says down the bottom, they are whores in much the same way a hooker is it is for their financial safety at the end of the day
Yeh but they are still only havin sex with one guy?

xeno

xXxeno
Reaction score
Yeh but they are still only havin sex with one guy?
What does it matter it is not for the love of it, I am sure if a hooker got payed by the same guy all day everyday she would only root him too
Would you marry a girl who has 4 husbands?
You must be quite a lowy to marry someone who is already has a wife or wives

-Kurry-

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Personally i don't LIKE the idea of a man with more than one wife...does the term selfish not mean anything?
ALso i'm pretty feminist, so I don't like the idea that the wife is merely only one of his many ''possesions'' :p

But if people want to do it, and the women are comfortable and condone it ( as in no arranged..or should i clarify that to FORCED marriage) I can't debate it. Whatever floats their boat i guess.

Game Breaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
This polygamy marriage was used in Islam when the men went off to war and came back less.

Eventually, the ratio of men to women would decrease, which would mean some women wont get married, they still needed to support themselves so some turn to prostitution. Polygamy was used to help combat this

-Kurry-

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This polygamy marriage was used in Islam when the men went off to war and came back less.

Eventually, the ratio of men to women would decrease, which would mean some women wont get married, they still needed to support themselves so some turn to prostitution. Polygamy was used to help combat this
What's the reasoning behind polygamous marriages today, say in countries such as Australia and America?

Game Breaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
What's the reasoning behind polygamous marriages today, say in countries such as Australia and America?

You'll have to ask the people who do it. Some reason can be for older people re-marrying who would have trouble tying the know in a monogamous style. Perhaps a wife cant give birth, but the husband doesnt want to divorce her.
Im just thinking at the top of my head

Personally I wont do it, because its only meant to be done if you can treat all equally, dont think I can do that.

-Kurry-

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You'll have to ask the people who do it. Some reason can be for older people re-marrying who would have trouble tying the know in a monogamous style. Perhaps a wife cant give birth, but the husband doesnt want to divorce her.
Im just thinking at the top of my head

Personally I wont do it, because its only meant to be done if you can treat all equally, dont think I can do that.

Ahhh i see....the theory of liking more than one person and not wanting to choose is applicable? :p

I pressume even though they are meant to be equal, the man must have a favourite. There would have to be a ''head wife''. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.