Plethora of penalties as crackdown on play-the-ball infringements and ten metre rule

Status
Not open for further replies.

VAI

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

THIS is the one-paragraph email from referees boss Bill Harrigan to the 16 coaches that will either make or break the NRL season.

After a week of debate over a wrestling crackdown ordered by commission chairman John Grant, Harrigan and his offsider Stuart Raper sent just four short sentences as notification of a stronger policing of the play-the-ball area.

It all starts in today's Anzac Day showdown at Allianz Stadium with the referees' bosses promising to penalise anything that impacts on the speed of the play-the-ball.

They have also warned coaches that the 10m rule will be strictly enforced.

There are now genuine fears that one of the NRL's showpiece games of the season, Roosters v Dragons, will be ruined by a bombardment of penalties.

Coaches are angry they were not consulted before commission chairman Grant's kneejerk reaction to criticism of the game by Knights coach Wayne Bennett, whose own team plays the most boring brand of football in the NRL.

Roosters coach Brian Smith said the increased amount of penalties could be a turn-off for fans.

"I reckon the whole game will be really disappointed if - in the two games that are on - we have some sort of plethora of penalties that are just completely the opposite of what we've been seeing for a while," Smith said.

And Storm captain Cameron Smith, whose team play the Warriors at AAMI Park this evening, told Sky Sports Radio the impending crackdown will slow the game down even further.

"If they're going to try and do that there's going to be plenty of penalties, which I thought is what all the fans don't want to see," Smith said.

"They want a free-flowing game and ... all the players and coaches want that as well. I'm not too sure why people are worried about this or blowing up this whole sort of slowing down the speed of the game. I think the game is travelling pretty good at the moment."

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...d-ten-metre-rule/story-e6frexnr-1226337472147

VAI

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Melbourne Storm captain Cameron Smith fears crackdown on the ruck will backfire

MELBOURNE Storm captain Cameron Smith has warned the NRL’s impending crackdown on the ruck will slow the game down even further.

Smith's reaction follows referees boss Bill Harrigan’s announcement yesterday that he has instructed whistleblowers to penalise offenders who engage in unnecessary wrestling tactics in tackles.

The Storm – who will take on the Warriors at AAMI Park tomorrow – are one of four teams who will experience the NRL's new policy first, just hours after the Sydney Roosters and St George Illawarra Dragons kick-off the Anzac Day action at Allianz Stadium.

"If they're going to try and do that there's going to be plenty of penalties, which I thought is what all the fans don't want to see,'' Smith told the Big Sports Breakfast this morning.

"They want a free-flowing game and I think all the players and coaches want that as well.

"I’m not too sure why people are worried about this or blowing up this whole sort of slowing down the speed of the game. I think the game is travelling pretty good at the moment.''

Smith added the lagging speed of play did not bother him, as it has led both the Storm and Brisbane Broncos to success this season.

"We're the two teams that are playing the ball slowest out of all the teams in the competition yet we’re first and second in the competition,'' Smith said.

"It's not about how fast you're playing the ball or how fast you're playing with the footy, it's about what you're willing to do when you've got the ball and when you're attacking and being able to shift the football and control the football.”

Sydney Roosters head coach Brian Smith also argued the increased amount of penalties may throw off fans.

"I reckon the whole game will be really disappointed if tomorrow in the two games that are on we have some sort of plethora of penalties that are just completely the opposite of what we've been seeing for a while,'' the Roosters coach said.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...ck-will-backfire/story-e6frexnr-1226337184666

Harby

Trance Family
Reaction score
MELBOURNE Storm captain Cameron Smith has warned the NRL’s impending crackdown on the ruck will slow the game down even further.

Smith's reaction follows referees boss Bill Harrigan’s announcement yesterday that he has instructed whistleblowers to penalise offenders who engage in unnecessary wrestling tactics in tackles.

The Storm – who will take on the Warriors at AAMI Park tomorrow – are one of four teams who will experience the NRL's new policy first, just hours after the Sydney Roosters and St George Illawarra Dragons kick-off the Anzac Day action at Allianz Stadium.

"If they're going to try and do that there's going to be plenty of penalties, which I thought is what all the fans don't want to see,'' Smith told the Big Sports Breakfast this morning.

"They want a free-flowing game and I think all the players and coaches want that as well.

"I’m not too sure why people are worried about this or blowing up this whole sort of slowing down the speed of the game. I think the game is travelling pretty good at the moment.''

Smith added the lagging speed of play did not bother him, as it has led both the Storm and Brisbane Broncos to success this season.

"We're the two teams that are playing the ball slowest out of all the teams in the competition yet we’re first and second in the competition,'' Smith said.

"It's not about how fast you're playing the ball or how fast you're playing with the footy, it's about what you're willing to do when you've got the ball and when you're attacking and being able to shift the football and control the football.”

Sydney Roosters head coach Brian Smith also argued the increased amount of penalties may throw off fans.

"I reckon the whole game will be really disappointed if tomorrow in the two games that are on we have some sort of plethora of penalties that are just completely the opposite of what we've been seeing for a while,'' the Roosters coach said.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...ck-will-backfire/story-e6frexnr-1226337184666
Smith is just saying that because that is the brand of football the Storm play. Get the player on his back to slow the down the play the ball as much as possible to give their defence the advantage. Now that the refs will crack down on this sort of play I bet Melbourne are freaking out.

Status
Not open for further replies.