Other News Source Players without contracts for 2022.

DaBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is a list on sportingnews.com that shows 19 players without a contract with the Bulldogs next year (2022). The interview with Trent Barrett after today’s game was interesting as a few times he was asked by journalists about a few players (DWZ - Warriors rumour question about next year/ how’s Flanagan going in Reserves) and he danced around the questions. I personally think he knew exactly what was said but they are going to be ruthless by the end of the year. Highly unlikely with two wins in the year so far, that all 19 will get another contract. I hope they have a plan and start talking to new players now - they don’t want to leave it too late. Go and have a look at the list. Players like Meaney, Marshall-King, Lewis, Napa. Not saying they all deserve to be there, but 19 players positions are on on the line by the end of this year.

Aristidiz

Bullwog
Reaction score
As far as I am aware this is the list off contract:

OFF CONTRACT 2021
Renouf Atoni, Dean Britt, Christian Crichton, Will Hopoate, Paul Karaitiana, Sione Katoa, Tui Katoa, Lachlan Lewis, Jeremy Marshall-King, Nick Meaney, Dylan Napa, Ofahiki Ogden, Jayden Okunbor, Chris Patolo, Kurt Picken, James Roumanos, Ava Seumanufagai, Chris Smith

It's hard to say who to let go because I do not know who we will actually sign between now and 2022, but based on the assumption that we are signing a hooker, half and 2 forwards. I would only keep the following guys from the list above:

-JMK as backup hooker
-Okunbor as backup winger\ put pressure on Cotric to live up to his pay packet
-Ava for bench depth (already agreed on the cheap)

That is about it, possibly Meaney if he is willing to start in reserves and be a depth\injuries backline fill-in

DaBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree JMK will need to know he won’t be the starting hooker - if they can get someone experienced. Meaney will be good to keep. He’s still trying each week and doing ok. Cotric needs to step up big time or they’ll need to get rid of him too. He hasn’t done much. Sad to say, but I can’t see a lot of that list getting to stay. The former NZ rugby coach who’s assisting the club is currently going to be hanging around closely at the moment. I think he’ll be the guy who’s going to assess if these players should stay. And IF players are smart they will want to impress the hell out of him. I could be wrong, but they're not paying him to just hang around.

Jack Jones

Waterboy
Reaction score
Bulldogs 2022 NRL Squad

1 Corey Allan
2 Nick Cotric
3 Brent Naden
4 Aaron Schoupp
5 Josh Addo-Carr
6 Matt Burton
7 Jake Averillo
8 Jack Hetherington
9 Brandon Wakeham
10 Luke Thompson
11 Adam Elliott
12 Raymond Faitala-Mariner
13 Josh Jackson (c)

14 Jackson Topine
15 Joe Stimson
16 Corey Waddell
17 Matt Doorey
18 Jackson Topine
19 Kyle Flanagan
20 Paul Alamoti
21 Larson Dale-Doyle

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We need to turn over a lot of players asap, the problem is there aren't many options to replace them. So we're either going to have to pay overs to get available players or re-sign players who would otherwise be moved on.
The fact the new Brisbane team is on the horizon is only compounding the isssue as players are only signing 1 year deals to remain in the market for the cash they will be throwing around. The NRL will probably give the new team some sort of dispensation or extra money to spend because they are starting from scratch

Last edited:

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Bulldogs 2022 NRL Squad

1 Corey Allan
2 Nick Cotric
3 Brent Naden
4 Aaron Schoupp
5 Josh Addo-Carr
6 Matt Burton
7 Jake Averillo
8 Jack Hetherington
9 Brandon Wakeham
10 Luke Thompson
11 Adam Elliott
12 Raymond Faitala-Mariner
13 Josh Jackson (c)

14 Jackson Topine
15 Joe Stimson
16 Corey Waddell
17 Matt Doorey
18 Jackson Topine
19 Kyle Flanagan
20 Paul Alamoti
21 Larson Dale-Doyle
Having Topine at 14 and 18 may save us money on the cap but doesn't do much for our depth lol

steveng

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
My top 20 Bulldogs 2022 NRL Squad, if we can pull off some signing miracles ??

1 Jake Averillo
2 Nick Cotric
3 Brent Naden
4 Aaron Schoupp
5 Josh Addo-Carr
6 Matt Burton
7 Shaun Johnson
8 Jack Hetherington
9 Brandon Smith - wishful thinking !
10 Luke Thompson
11 Dale Finucane
12 Matt Doorey
13 Josh Jackson (c)

14 JMK
15 Ava Seumanufagai
16 Adam Elliott
17 TPJ

18 Jayden Okunbur
19 Raymond Faitala-Mariner
20 Atoni

Release or Cut
Stimson
Waddell
Wakeham
Napa
Meaney
Hoppa
S Katoa
Ogden
Britt
Lewis

Next critical move is to start blooding the juniors through the lower grades even if they are not competitive in the first few years, its time to start developing our own players that want to play for the club.