Players that never returned to reserve grade

adamsapple

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I'm just curious and tried googling with no luck
Would anyone know if there is some sort of list of players that made their fg debut in the nrl era and never returned to reserve grade for the rest of their career?

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
That's a near impossible stat to figure out, because Rugby League Project will give you the games a player played, but won't tell you why they missed games (injury or being dropped).

So then for every player that missed a game you'd need to research if they were injured at the time, or appeared in the teams respectively linked Intrust side instead.

It is possible but a massive undertaking to figure out.

I'd say there are a lot of players where this is the case, but nothing 100%.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I'd imagine there would be quite a few, but yeah, that a pretty random thing for it to be available as a list from a Google search...2

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
SBW would be one I'd contribute.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
storms big cap cheating quartet

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Lachlan Lewis

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Doesn't happen too often with Marquee players these days...otherwise they'll throw a tantrum and request a release. Only the fringe players (Holland) or over the hill (Eastwood) get dropped. The last genuine fg in our club that got dropped was probably Jmoz in 2011. I remember shifty was in n out for some time.

Mbye is very lucky to have played over a 100 fg games. In another era he would've been dropped for the amount of times he went missing.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Doesn't happen too often with Marquee players these days...otherwise they'll throw a tantrum and request a release. Only the fringe players (Holland) or over the hill (Eastwood) get dropped. The last genuine fg in our club that got dropped was probably Jmoz in 2011. I remember shifty was in n out for some time.

Mbye is very lucky to have played over a 100 fg games. In another era he would've been dropped for the amount of times he went missing.
True, but when I read the OP, I was thinking more of players who went back to reggies upon recovery from injury, or returning from suspension etc. ..

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I think he actually did time in the reserves after grade. Could have been at the magpies.
I was racking my brain at this one too... i have a copy of the Terry Lamb Story somewhere, and was keen to check, but admit, I decided to drink beer instead.

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Would anyone know if there is some sort of list of players that made their fg debut in the nrl era and never returned to reserve grade for the rest of their career?
Off the top of my head I’d think of Alex Johnston and Semi Radradra. Both were instant hits and try scoring machines.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Has Reimis Smith returned to RG yet? If not he's probably the latest one :D

Near impossible to find this info, so what you need to do is just think of the big names. Guys like Slater, JT, Smith, Cronk, SBW etc. I know for a fact that players like Utai and Mason DID return to RG after making their FG debut though. In fact IIRC Matt Utai spent 3 months in RG back in 2004 (the year we won the comp) and he played a big part in our GF victory!

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Michael Jennings was dropped to reggies when playing for Penwiff... and still got picked for Origin

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Has Reimis Smith returned to RG yet? If not he's probably the latest one :D
Reimis played a few seasons back in reserve after playing in NRL in 2016 before finally getting another game.

I doubt there is too many players with as many reserve grade games in between NRL games as Reimis

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Reimis played a few seasons back in reserve after playing in NRL in 2016 before finally getting another game.

I doubt there is too many players with as many reserve grade games in between NRL games as Reimis
Yeah. Who can forget almost scored a double or Triple on debut. Next minute back to reggie's.