PLAYERS NEED TO GO ???

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
We were caught between a rock and hard place...
Like you said players and managers know, what disturbs me is we let go of better players !
Yes all round our retention/recruitment has been second rate. We keep putting ourselves back on the merry go round.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
This thread just rams home the point even more how badly we botched recruitment. My biggest criticism of Baz so far is he's 0/4 with recruits. Flanagan, Waddell and Allan all look very average. And Hetherington's time on the sideline with suspension and ill-discipline means he's a fail too. Cotric hasn't been amazing but there are enough glimpses for me to keep the faith (+ that wasnt Barrett's recruit). Those signings should have been about us building a strong foundation to improve our roster.
Spot on. There's little building of foundations at the moment.

No one has any answers :(

It would help if these players who constantly, and habitually, keep stuffing up basic catch, pass, tackle, penalties, 6agains, poor effort plays, are dropped no matter who they are.

The Mounties who come in will probably put in more.

Baz could drop Waddle, Hoppa and Napa relatively easily to start with, and replace with Mounties on the bench, just as a shake up for these 3 in particular. Others would know they are on notice and Baz would find out instantly whether they respect him.

Disposable Hero

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Again it is not a quick fix.
You can not uncoach something that has been drilled into you for 5 years overnight

It will take years and a full roster change to fix the damage done by Des hasler and co not to mention the fuckwit that had them bouncing tennis balls of the wall for catching skills.

MariaZ

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Spot on. There's little building of foundations at the moment.

No one has any answers :(

It would help if these players who constantly, and habitually, keep stuffing up basic catch, pass, tackle, penalties, 6agains, poor effort plays, are dropped no matter who they are.

The Mounties who come in will probably put in more.

Baz could drop Waddle, Hoppa and Napa relatively easily to start with, and replace with Mounties on the bench, just as a shake up for these 3 in particular. Others would know they are on notice and Baz would find out instantly whether they respect him.
So well said @wendog33 that is exactly what TB needs to do! We are at round 15 and he had not budged with those same selections you mentioned and a couple of others imo who need to also be dropped. Apart from Waddell who only played a lousy half a game last week in Mounties, the others in TB eyes seem to be doing no wrong! I think he never intended to demote Waddles to Mounties but did so because he did not want to single out Atoni. But then he brings Waddell back to first and leaves Atoni there?. He should have also dropped Nappa and Elliott at that stage and not Renouf. TB is Quickly losing my respect! To begin with Blind Freddy can see Waddell Is not first grade material and that Renouf was consistently playing better than Waddell, Nappa and Elliott at that stage. It seems like TB has his favourites!

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Again it is not a quick fix.
You can not uncoach something that has been drilled into you for 5 years overnight

It will take years and a full roster change to fix the damage done by Des hasler and co not to mention the fuckwit that had them bouncing tennis balls of the wall for catching skills.
Funny enough it was mentioned by someone that was close to the coaching staff when Pay took over saying that players were finding it difficult to break away from the Des-ball !
I don't think it's the case now, not many of that squad left.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
So well said @wendog33 that is exactly what TB needs to do! We are at round 15 and he had not budged with those same selections you mentioned and a couple of others imo who need to also be dropped. Apart from Waddell who only played a lousy half a game last week in Mounties, the others in TB eyes seem to be doing no wrong! I think he never intended to demote Waddles to Mounties but did so because he did not want to single out Atoni. But then he brings Waddell back to first and leaves Atoni there?. He should have also dropped Nappa and Elliott at that stage and not Renouf. TB is Quickly losing my respect! To begin with Blind Freddy can see Waddell Is not first grade material and that Renouf was consistently playing better than Waddell, Nappa and Elliott at that stage. It seems like TB has his favourites!
Can only agree.
If Baz wants to be taken seriously as a young coach hoping to earn top coach status, then he needs to get real with his selections.

There wouldnt be a coach, at any level, who wouldnt have Atoni in his team over Waddle or Napa.

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I don't disagree that 15-20 players need to go. However unless we have a lot of juniors ready to promote it is going take at least 2-3 off seasons to get it done.

Philmus

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agree players like Hoppa and Waddles need to be dropped but look at Walters at Brisbane, every week a different side takes the field and every week they get pumped. We also need to keep some of the same so they can form combinations and gel and build in confidence instead of chopping and changing. We saw it with Pay as coach, every week we had a different halves pairing and it just doesnt work. Given where we are on the ladder and the fact that some of the team won't be here next year, we need to drop them for good in order to blood fresh blokes and give them experience or leave the ones on the way out where they are. I dont think a week in first grade then a week in mounties on repeat is good for anyone - especially as mounties arent going too crash hot either

MichaelM

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
With DWZ exiting we now have 18 contracted players that will be in the NRL top 30 in 2022 including
3 new recruits
13 from the current top 30
2 promoted (Topine and Schoupp)

That means we need to add another 12 players for 2022.

We have 15 current top 30 players are off contract plus Dietz. It's a worry that we are also talking about players that have contracts for 22, like Jackson, Waddell and Wakeham!!!

The current equation will probably look like this
Promote another 2-3 players - new rules - we need to find the talent that best suits the new game
Buy another 4-5 players new players A top tier hooker, A big tackle busting front rower, a forward that can take it to the line and ball play and the best young talent suited to the new rules looking for a chance to play NRL and caught behind an established player at their club.
Resign between 4-6 of the 15 players currently off contract for 2022 - at least 8 already have a red line drawn through their name, so its about keeping the 4 or 5 that provide the best cover - effectively they are in the squad for depth.

Then we do it all again in 2023

Jai81

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think Jackson has looked heaps better the last 2 weeks and he is loyal to the club.
Meaney had a rough day but worth keeping as a back up fullback/winger.
The rest can go along with S.Katoa and Hoppa.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think Jackson has looked heaps better the last 2 weeks and he is loyal to the club.
Meaney had a rough day but worth keeping as a back up fullback/winger.
The rest can go along with S.Katoa and Hoppa.
Pretty tough to judge anyone on that second half yesterday. It was something like 80/20 possession after 25 minutes of the second half.

Everything went right for Parra after half time.

We still suck but there are definitely signs of improvement

Disposable Hero

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Funny enough it was mentioned by someone that was close to the coaching staff when Pay took over saying that players were finding it difficult to break away from the Des-ball !
I don't think it's the case now, not many of that squad left.
Its bigger than you realize
Theres the elliots,Hoppas,jacksons, not to mention young fellas coming through the grades that were influenced by Hasler/Pay systems.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Pretty tough to judge anyone on that second half yesterday. It was something like 80/20 possession after 25 minutes of the second half.

Everything went right for Parra after half time.

We still suck but there are definitely signs of improvement
We only had 42% for the 80 minute game.

Roger the alien

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re-sign Renoulf Atoni and Ava Seumanafagai, ditch the rest including Stimson and Flanagan.

PROMOTE.
BBO
Manu
Waton Heleta
Larson Dale-Doyle
Dean Matterson
Ben Seufale
Khaled Rajab
Paul Alamoti
Chris Patolo

Sign
Trade RFM for B Smith