Opinion Players agitating out of a contract

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Wests Tigers chairman Lee Hagipantelis has returned serve at prop Josh Aloiai - telling the front-rower “he can mow the lawns at Leichhardt and Campbelltown as far as we’re concerned”.
Aloiai sensationally demanded an immediate release from Concord on Tuesday by sending a text message to CEO Justin Pascoe claiming “I’ll never wear the jersey again”.

But the Tigers have been used as an NRL doormat too many times and the chairman has hit back by refusing to allow Aloiai out of the final year of his contract.

“As far as we’re concerned he can mow the lawns at Leichhardt and Campbelltown and paint the sheds at Concord,” Hagipantelis told Fox Sports.

“He’s a contracted employee at the Wests Tigers for 2021 and under the terms of his employment he’ll be remaining at the club.”

Hagipantelis has also once-again endorsed Wests Tigers coach Michael Maguire and remains adamant the club will soon announce the premiership-winner has been extended at Concord until the end of 2023.

Maguire’s new contract will mean the Tigers coach is given five years to try and fix the mess the club has got itself into and will also silence the incessant narrative about how the ex-South Sydney coach has lost support amongst the playing group.

No matter how true the supposed rumblings are - the Wests Tigers board is committed to Maguire being the coach who can end the NRL’s longest finals drought dating back to 2011.

then alolai posted this on instagram lol

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
How is it a restriction of trade? You have signed a contract for a certain time.

End of story.

Restriction of trade will not hold up in court if a contract has been signed between player and club. The player agreed to the deal.
I'm not a lawyer was just a guess. Thanks for clearing that up.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I don't think the NRL is capable of managing such a high turn over of players each year.
Nailed it, each club turns over about 1/3rd of their 30 player roster every year, that's 160 players moving each year. Way beyond the NRL's capacity to handle.

Go Dogs

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I can understand the frustration of the Tigers with the way this is going, but it is a risky game coming out with an ultimatum like this. If neither side relents and Aloiai ends up sitting out a season, it could make it harder for their recruitment in future, players will either want some extra clauses in their contract, or won't sign at all.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I'd imagine the NRL is a pretty small world. If he has a shit attitude, why would another Club want him so badly anyway?

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nailed it, each club turns over about 1/3rd of their 30 player roster every year, that's 160 players moving each year. Way beyond the NRL's capacity to handle.

Go Dogs
Your 100% right mate, because of the make up of its comp and the fact that it is controlled by 2 Media corporation,s the NRL will never be able to organise toilet rolls for its office staff.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The law about contracts is very clear. You cannot just break a contract.
What's happening here is the players, and their managers pressure the clubs, and the club rolls over.
I think the Tigers are doing the right thing by not playing his game.