Player swap: Eels audacious play for Josh Addo Carr

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
We have or should have fkn heaps of cap space, why do we need to swap anyone. If Parra want to get rid of him we can just take over his contract and a year or cash on top
If we want a good middle that's contracted we're most likely going to have to give someone we don't really want to lose. The off contract market for 2025 (or 2024 at this stage of the year) isn't great. Eel probably don't want to let Matterson go without getting a gun outside back. The media have probably just put 2 and 2 together since we're desperate or middles and Eel are one outside back away from having a pretty complete team outside hooker.

scottywilson

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Whether he should've been fined or not is irrelevant. He did get fined/suspended & chose to take the selfish route. He's always been just after money. Left Tigers after 1 season when still under contract. No thanks.
Forget Matterson, it won't be happening i can guarantee you. Gus and Cam are big on building a team with the right work ethic and they don't see him as that. Besides he isn't even a prop. Why weaken letting a player that scores tries out of nothing for a player that wont add to where we are really needing positionally..

scottywilson

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
out of all the positions on the field, I still think a winger is the most overrated. Love JAC, but to have whatever cap we have devoted to him is not what we need right now. Really require a prop, and I’d give him up for rcg.

he’s an international and nsw rep too.
we don't have a cap issue

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I know that Matterson is a quality player. But I'm actually pretty excited about where our outside back stocks are sitting right now. I get the feeling that if we can give half decent ball to our backline next year, they'll be dangerous. We've got a bit of quality depth that's going to push for spots too. People are still fretting about forwards, but I know if we can do good to solid with meterage and defence, our backline won't lack the ability to make good on half chances. I wouldn't want to weaken our backline without it providing a massive improvement to the forwards and I don't think Matterson alone justifies losing JAC. I'm not questioning that Matterson would improve our pack, he would. But Jesus this backline we have could be brilliant if they play to potential.

So when I see some sensible posters (not the type that invoke facepalms with their dribble) suggesting that we offload arguably the most exciting attacking winger in the NRL for Matterson, I don't really agree, but I can see where they're coming from. We do need forwards. But some decent quality will pop up as clubs try to shuffle rosters.

We're not hard up for cap space, it's apparently the opposite right now and we're struggling to spend 95% of our cap. I hope patience pays off and we are ready to pounce on players that take our fancy as they get permission to look elsewhere. Plenty are happy with Curren and he barely hit the market. Curren won't be the last player we snap up with upside. Mightn't all be rep players, but I have a meagre amount of confidence that we'll wind up being competitive.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
I know that Matterson is a quality player. But I'm actually pretty excited about where our outside back stocks are sitting right now. I get the feeling that if we can give half decent ball to our backline next year, they'll be dangerous. We've got a bit of quality depth that's going to push for spots too. People are still fretting about forwards, but I know if we can do good to solid with meterage and defence, our backline won't lack the ability to make good on half chances. I wouldn't want to weaken our backline without it providing a massive improvement to the forwards and I don't think Matterson alone justifies losing JAC. I'm not questioning that Matterson would improve our pack, he would. But Jesus this backline we have could be brilliant if they play to potential.

So when I see some sensible posters (not the type that invoke facepalms with their dribble) suggesting that we offload arguably the most exciting attacking winger in the NRL for Matterson, I don't really agree, but I can see where they're coming from. We do need forwards. But some decent quality will pop up as clubs try to shuffle rosters.

We're not hard up for cap space, it's apparently the opposite right now and we're struggling to spend 95% of our cap. I hope patience pays off and we are ready to pounce on players that take our fancy as they get permission to look elsewhere. Plenty are happy with Curren and he barely hit the market. Curren won't be the last player we snap up with upside. Mightn't all be rep players, but I have a meagre amount of confidence that we'll wind up being competitive.
2 things I see with Foxy....

1. Only reason I see him leave us is if he wants to leave us. If he does leave we have Skelton and Wilson to soften the blow.

2. Would this be even spoken about if he was in his usual form all year and not broken club rules?

I just can't see us swapping him for that parra dud, if it was proper middle then it would be more plausible. For me, this is all media bullshit trying to add 2 plus 2 to get 5.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Bro so everyone at the dogs that plays winger is overrated.
If you’re a try scoring machine you’re overrated.
If you’re the best goal kicker you’re overrated.
If you’re top 3 fastest winger you’re overrated.
Great trolling bro.
1. Who is the try scoring machine that is overrated?
2. If the best goal kicker didn’t contribute on field apart from goal kicking yet is held as the best on clubs history than mark my words that is true.
3. Just speed alone won’t do it. Dwayne Chambers tried to play super league and couldn’t crack beyond his trial. Brett Dallas couldn’t hold a first grade spot. Joe Burgess was considered a fail here. Leon Bott was as fast as JAC and he is don’t play firsts with us.
And why am I the only one who’s called for us to try poach Carlin Isles? That tells me you know it too.
4.,trolling? Call me passionate. Call me controversial, call me influenced by substances buy one thing you can never do is call me a troll with a straight face.

SexBomb

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
RCG AND Grieg, and they can have JAC and Perham/RFM/Topine

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Swapping Fox for a concussion prone Matterson only makes sense - to the Eels

Tell them to F..k off. He's under contract so cannot be approached. How about a story where we're interested in Paulo if he breaks contract ? They can have RFM

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Swapping Fox for a concussion prone Matterson only makes sense - to the Eels

Tell them to F..k off. He's under contract so cannot be approached. How about a story where we're interested in Paulo if he breaks contract ? They can have RFM
According to the socials they are actually trying to keep Matterson and hope to offload Paulo to us

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thats great news re Curran. He offers something different. Any other middles that we've signed? Obviously we need to replace TPJ, Thompson & Pele, not to mention accomodate for Sutton if he stays or leaves. Any news on that as well?
Thanks mate
Matto always makes sure he gets a good deal

Cujo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's an excellent idea. Who gives a shit about an overrated Fox.
Perhaps the fins have a undersized utility back with questionable desense we can swap the Fox for…

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Only kennel would be ungrateful enough to wanna trade away one of the top 2 wingers in the comp, one of the biggest names, serial winner and international/ NSW rep after 1 average season for a guy that would rather save $4k than play for his team
I’d say most on here love the Fox and rate him as highly as anyone in the team or the NRL for that matter, but if there was an opportunity to pick up a world class middle in a market void of quality middles, our lack thereof a good middle - realistically, our current starting middles come off the bench for 16 other teams - and factoring in we have plenty of backline stock to cover for wing…. It just makes good business sense. In saying that, I’d rather keep Fox and try and find a disgruntled middle or teams with cap pressure and negotiate a few deals. I think that is what Gus is trying to do..

GoTeamRaRaFunky

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
1. Who is the try scoring machine that is overrated?
2. Dallas couldn't hold down a first grade spot
4.,trolling?
Yes, trolling. Or unwittingly bias for the sake of feeling like you're smarter or something in a virtual argument. Brett Dallas played origin 10 times between 94-97 and played 119 first grade games for 64 tries over 7 years. He did have a bit of time off with injury. However not making first grade side wasn't the reason he was off the field. He also played 170 games for St helens for 107 tries.

Benno Bulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just seen this lmao .

There's a lot of dramas at the dogs with the fallout from Topine.

(Allegedly) The Polynesian boys met up every week at a cafe , anyone could join in .
Some of the leadership group lead by our old mate Mahoney titled this group the "Monkeys"and referred to them as such.

Theres alot of drama because of it and that playing group is beyond fractured.

Faitala - Mariner and Addo - Carr dramas are a by product of that.

Topine , FR and AC are /were well thought of by the majority of the playing group, Reed not so much.
Reeks of SBW type of political bullshit…