News Phil Gould's $6m Carnage At Penrith Panthers, Canterbury Bulldogs

Bulldog Brower

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
The pathways -yes.

But Buzz is right in saying that Cleary came in, made astute retention / recruitment decisions and instituted a culture of togetherness in order to convert the good work to success.

At some point, we will need to win a title to show something for Gould's work.
Gus did more than just set up the pathways, he changed/improved the club in a number of ways.

When he joined the club in 2011 Matthew Elliott was the coach. There were rumours that the senior players, not Elliott, were picking the team each week and deciding on the team strategy also. Elliott was quoted in the media denying this, but where there's smoke, there may be some fire.
Elliott was gone by year's end and Ivan Cleary was brought in as coach.

Also, when Gus joined, the club was in dire financial trouble, owing, I believe around $90 million, and the debt was called in for immediate payment. Gus called on his mate, Jamie Packer, for help and he was able to bail Penrith out. Gus stated at the time that a key problem in their finances at the time was that there were a number of backended deals with players (including Luke Lewis) that would cripple the club and that he would have to make some tough decisions, which he did.

Instead of bagging Gus, Buzz should be pushing the Panthers to erect a statue of him!

liljohny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gus did more than just set up the pathways, he changed/improved the club in a number of ways.

When he joined the club in 2011 Matthew Elliott was the coach. There were rumours that the senior players, not Elliott, were picking the team each week and deciding on the team strategy also. Elliott was quoted in the media denying this, but where there's smoke, there may be some fire.
Elliott was gone by year's end and Ivan Cleary was brought in as coach.

Also, when Gus joined, the club was in dire financial trouble, owing, I believe around $90 million, and the debt was called in for immediate payment. Gus called on his mate, Jamie Packer, for help and he was able to bail Penrith out. Gus stated at the time that a key problem in their finances at the time was that there were a number of backended deals with players (including Luke Lewis) that would cripple the club and that he would have to make some tough decisions, which he did.

Instead of bagging Gus, Buzz should be pushing the Panthers to erect a statue of him!
And likewise Dan Murphy can erect a statue of Buzz!

Mackdoggies

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I get what you’re saying bro but we’re already light in the backs and to still be paying $300k of his $500k doesn’t add up just to save $200k …
What people forget is that freeing up the spot can help sign juniors on for less into the future with a faster path to first grade and top 30. It saves us more into the future.

TAS

All In
Reaction score
$300k to offload Allen wth … that’s Fkn awful if it’s true.

Absolutely would be awful if true but I don’t believe it is. These articles by Rothfield are not meant to deliver truth. They are designed purely to discredit and rubbish Gus and to a lessor extent the Bulldogs. The bigger the lie, the worse Gus looks. That’s all buzz cares for.

No one should believe anything said by him or his likeminded colleagues when we know that is their sole objective

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I get what you’re saying bro but we’re already light in the backs and to still be paying $300k of his $500k doesn’t add up just to save $200k …
1) that transfer figure was probably borne out of a flagon of port
2) paying $500k to a numpty to play Reggie’s for one more year, or $300k for him to be Rorters problem and $200k for a hungry local junior to bust his arse to get a crack at 1sts and possibly be a home-grown regular…neither is ideal but I’m happy with the latter (so long as the youngster isn’t a numpty 2.0)

Okunbors Cradle Snatchers

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
It is. Totally fucked. He’s average but he can do a job. Watch him have a good crack for Roosters and we are paying his wage lol. Only reason why Gus would move him for that price is maybe there’s a signing about to happen?
It’s only 300k for one year so that’s alright

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The pathways -yes.

But Buzz is right in saying that Cleary came in, made astute retention / recruitment decisions and instituted a culture of togetherness in order to convert the good work to success.

At some point, we will need to win a title to show something for Gould's work.
Where were all these astute retention and recruitment decisions when Cleary was at the Tigers? ……… how’d that culture of togetherness turn out over there when he couldn’t get of the moving bus quick enough and he let it crash & burn …

Where was it all when Gus sacked him from Panthers in 2015 after he just avoided the wooden spoon and had lost the dressing room?

No mate Cleary inherited a Ferrari that Gus spent over 7 years building, all he’s had to do is motivate and continue to stoke the fire, .. nothing more nothing less … let’s see how he goes after losing a few good players and without Ciraldo …

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Where were all these astute retention and recruitment decisions when Cleary was at the Tigers? ……… how’d that culture of togetherness turn out over there when he couldn’t get of the moving bus quick enough and he let it crash & burn …

Where was it all when Gus sacked him from Panthers in 2015 after he just avoided the wooden spoon and had lost the dressing room?

No mate Cleary inherited a Ferrari that Gus spent over 7 years building, all he’s had to do is motivate and continue to stoke the fire, .. nothing more nothing less … let’s see how he goes after losing a few good players and without Ciraldo …
Exactly, all the kids that Gus helped thrive in junior systems etc were finally ready for first grade.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

I found the bus.....:grinning:

1670715398722.png

1670715136801.png

Lynchpin

Kennel Established
Reaction score
$300k to offload Allen wth … that’s Fkn awful if it’s true.
The figures are probably close enough...
It is. Totally fucked.
Not really. The club is paying $500k under our cap for 2023 regardless.
What do you get for that money?
Option A: Let Allan occupy a top 30 spot, maybe get on the field (he's been injured) and push as a fringe first-grader (knowing he won't be here next year anyway); or
Option B: Get a $200k refund from the Roosters, free up a spot for an up-and-comer (with potential beyond this year), and keep $50k for someone else.

Is anyone seriously not going Option B?

Harry Oz

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I don't get this vilification of Rothfield whenever he writes something.

His job is to submit a certain number of words each week.

If he can get away with submitting recycled content, the bleedingly obvious or even factual errors, then good luck to him.

But he has to write something. We're talking about the Daily Telegraph here. Not the New Yorker.

I also don't get the notion he is targeting Phil Gould either. Gould shaking things up at the Bulldogs is sure a go to story for a rugby league journalist.

Isn't a bigger issue how ex-footballers with non-existent communication skills and a surprising lack of knowledge what is actually going in a game on can land media jobs? That is obvious jobs for mates.

The game as a whole would benefit from getting some properly qualified journalists involved, especially for actual game coverage. Maybe ones that have actually studied journalism.

Rugby League is a great game because it's so simple.

Most posters here would know more about what is going on in any game of rugby league than some totally unlikeable niff nuff from Queensland.

Much more.

John Matrix

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I don't get this vilification of Rothfield whenever he writes something.

His job is to submit a certain number of words each week.

If he can get away with submitting recycled content, the bleedingly obvious or even factual errors, then good luck to him.

But he has to write something. We're talking about the Daily Telegraph here. Not the New Yorker.

I also don't get the notion he is targeting Phil Gould either. Gould shaking things up at the Bulldogs is sure a go to story for a rugby league journalist.

Isn't a bigger issue how ex-footballers with non-existent communication skills and a surprising lack of knowledge what is actually going in a game on can land media jobs? That is obvious jobs for mates.

The game as a whole would benefit from getting some properly qualified journalists involved, especially for actual game coverage. Maybe ones that have actually studied journalism.

Rugby League is a great game because it's so simple.

Most posters here would know more about what is going on in any game of rugby league than some totally unlikeable niff nuff from Queensland.

Much more.
No one likes Buz because he writes rubbish, as pointed out early in the thread he doesn’t proof read either. The the only person who take him serious is himself.

Harry Oz

Kennel Established
Reaction score
The figures are probably close enough...

Not really. The club is paying $500k under our cap for 2023 regardless.
What do you get for that money?
Option A: Let Allan occupy a top 30 spot, maybe get on the field (he's been injured) and push as a fringe first-grader (knowing he won't be here next year anyway); or
Option B: Get a $200k refund from the Roosters, free up a spot for an up-and-comer (with potential beyond this year), and keep $50k for someone else.

Is anyone seriously not going Option B?
Aren't those seriously saying option A just saying Corey Allen is worth $200k? Especially with an obvious shortage of outside backs in the squad.

The problem is the club is only foregoing a $200k payment to keep him.

Nothing can be done about the $500k.

I can see both sides of the argument but more than happy to trust the club is making the best decision based, as they're the ones with all the facts.

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Somehow Rothfield is trying to argue that Gus clearing dead wood, firing useless coaches and chasing rep players is a bad thing?

He left the part out where by creating so much cap space, creating a centre of excellence, thereby developing and keeping their best future juniors resulted in them eventually making 3 straight Grand Finals and winning 2 straight premierships.
Rothfield's determined to convince everyone that Gus had nothing to do with Penrith's success. It's about as petty as an adult can be, but then again he is a passive aggressive drunk

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I’ve spoken sense many times on here when you were all talking shit. Don’t make me make a list. It will be humiliating for you.
Go for it, make a list, It won't take long me to compile a longer one. I don't expect to humiliate you, nor would I need to try, you do pretty good at that without assistance

Lynchpin

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Aren't those seriously saying option A just saying Corey Allen is worth $200k?
If we were paying Allan $200k, then we'd probably ride it out and keep him for depth. But we're not (or we weren't), we were paying him $500k.
Based on 2021 & 2022, is he giving you $500k of value? Or even $200k?
What about Kiraz? Is he delivering $200k of value?
Because that is the comparison. Let Allan go with the opportunity to discover another Kiraz, or ride out 2023 with Allan occupying a fringe spot that is blocking a youngster with a better prospect to deliver (or at least develop) in 2023 and beyond.
Allan's journey with us was ending this season anyway, with no prospect of extension.
I think the club got this one right (even on the stated/assumed figures). If they got the Roosters to chip in a little extra, even better.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Meanwhile Penrith have won the last 2 premierships after Gus's input, and the dogs have improved and will continue to improve since Gus came along. So what exactly is Buzz's point? We accepted many years of bad form with Des at the helm, did nothing about it, and it got us nowhere. So doing the opposite (getting rid of people when they dont perform) should be the obvious solution.

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
This fuck head claimed he was the reason Gus came to the dogs by suggesting to Koury that he should go and get him. Now Gus is no good?
Buzz apparently toured belmore this week, why do we even let miserable old turd in?
to clean the toilets?

Reactions: 88