News Phil Gould's $6m Carnage At Penrith Panthers, Canterbury Bulldogs

red-dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
The problem with the current media is they focus on the end of Gus' tenure at Penrith, which in hindsight had some mixed outcomes, but thats football. The obvious criticisms are being against Ivan Cleary coming back & the signings of Blake, DWZ and RCG. Recruitment is mixed; Blake & DWZ aern't the greatest but RCG is playing career best footy at Parra & made Origin. He would be an instant starter in this Panthers pack.

Ivan Cleary has directly benefited from the investment Gus made into juniors, as we all know. However fairness to Penrith & Cleary, they've made some excellent signings in Korisau & Capewell (and to a lesser extent Eisenhuth & Sorensen), so to say all their success is down to Gus is disingenuos.

Gus started there in 2011 and a lot of the success they are now reaping is because of him. By the time 2019 rolled around, it was just a matter of both parties needed a new direction. Thats business and that's football; nothing lasts forever. There is an obvious media bias by Fox against Gus; they will outline his failures at Penrith but will never mention him when they discuss Penrith's excellent juniors & pathways.

If you tell me that in 8 years, we end up with the best juniors pathways in the league and the price of that was a couple of coach payouts & a few average signings than i will sign on the dotted line in a heartbeat.

Woofwoof1980

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Waddell, Thompson, Averillo, Flanagan and Okunbor. These are the 5 remaining dud players left.
Not sure I'd agree... Jake is young and shown some promise. Thompson has had a pretty rough time in Australia and while isn't worth his supposed money hes on still may show some form in a decent system... Waddell is a solid depth player... the other two...... I agree are trash and should be fucked off ASAP. Just my opinion

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Well..all I can say is his articles continue to trigger quite a few on here lol

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Depends what he means by dud, he's worth half of what we're paying him at best.
What is he actually speculatively on, serious question...we all know even if he has a good season next year he will be on significantly less but it wont be half imo.

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
How did the idiot claim that Gus was building a top 4 roster and spine (in a club that won the wooden spoon 12 months ago) and then claim he doesnt know what he is doing, all in the same article.

Gus spent most of his time at Penrith talking about how to improve their junior base, and now look at them.

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What people forget is that freeing up the spot can help sign juniors on for less into the future with a faster path to first grade and top 30. It saves us more into the future.
Freeing up a spot in this fashion means you are eager to promote a gun junior into top 30 or you are serious about bringing in a gun halfback. You don't do it to fill it with a young junior who has "potential"

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He is on 850k if im not mistaken, was widely reported when he signed.
Not sure if all of that is under the cap per se. I think some of that is covered by allowance payments of some description. TT is the man for this, He is well versed in all things salary cap

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Freeing up a spot in this fashion means you are eager to promote a gun junior into top 30 or you are serious about bringing in a gun halfback. You don't do it to fill it with a young junior who has "potential"
Just curious . . . What's the difference between a "gun junior" and a " junior who has potential " is it just opinion ?