Phil Gould spot on again...

Status
Not open for further replies.

PantherPower83

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought this was a great read:

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...on-for-big-tv-rights-deal-20110507-1ed7f.html

Here's an exert: (worth reading the entire article though)

Fiddling leaders burn chance to rejig season for big TV rights deal Phil Gould
May 8, 2011

If and when the new independent commission is established, I would hope one of the first matters to appear on their extra-long list of agenda items is a total rethink on the NRL season schedule and the all-important representative fixtures.

When I say "if and when" the commission is established, I mean that as a big IF and WHEN.

Self-interest, hidden agendas and survival tactics are still severely restricting this process. I will discuss the real reasons behind the prolonged procrastination in these negotiations and those responsible some time in the coming weeks - they can't keep me silent for much longer. It's time this stuff is set free for public consumption. Fans will be up in arms when the truth is revealed.

I believe it is vital we consider an overhaul of our season schedule because the current system is simply not good enough. Everyone knows it's not good enough. However, to force the necessary changes, we need strong leadership and independent thinkers who act only in the best interests of the game.

We need to consider what we want our game to look like in two, five, 10, 20 and even 50 years' time: How many NRL franchises will we have? Where will they be? How many players and teams will each franchise field in NRL, second-tier and elite junior competitions? How big do we want second-tier state leagues and competitions such as the Toyota Cup to become? What's the optimum number of home-and-away games for each season?

How many levels of representative football should we have? Should we have three-match Test series against Great Britain and New Zealand on a regular basis? Should State of Origin be expanded to a best-of-five series? Should Origin be expanded to include a new Polynesian-based team?

If we reduced the NRL competition to 20 or 22 home-and-away games - and then set aside a four- or five-week period mid-season for all stand-alone representative fixtures to be played - could we run a big-prizemoney, mid-season knockout competition for all other players in the NRL competition during this club football hiatus? Could our game cope with a five-week period mid-season of only representative football? Could TV broadcasters cope with such a period? Would fans tolerate such an interruption? Would fans trade such an interruption in exchange for knowing their club would never have to play without their rep stars, or see their tired rep stars back up shortly after a taxing representative match?

I'm just brainstorming - I'm sure there are plenty of smarter people than me who could come up with even better ideas.

Captain Kickass

Dirtbag Lifecoach
Reaction score
Saw this, and YES ... awesome stuff from Uncle Gus.

- Overhaul the comp structure : I like the idea of a 14 team NRL (26 round H&A season - play 13 teams twice).

- Overhaul the 2nd tier structures : I like the idea of a 14-team "NRL2" with all the wannabe/struggling NRL clubs. (Sell THAT off as a separate package to fund the comp)

- Introduce a pre/mid-season comp, and call it the "NRL-Cup" : Much like the FA Cup - Make it open to all sorts of teams. Host the preliminary rounds in regional areas to act as surrogate trial matches. Include all those regional/expansion teams they wanna try out. Include regional champions like Tumut Dragons, Tingha Tigers and Young Cherrypickers.

bulldogs2010

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He is a smart man but sometimes he points out the obvious and tries to make himself sound like a genius.

B4L

Kennel Established
Reaction score

- Overhaul the comp structure : I like the idea of a 14 team NRL (26 round H&A season - play 13 teams twice).

- Overhaul the 2nd tier structures : I like the idea of a 14-team "NRL2" with all the wannabe/struggling NRL clubs. (Sell THAT off as a separate package to fund the comp)

- Introduce a pre/mid-season comp, and call it the "NRL-Cup" : Much like the FA Cup - Make it open to all sorts of teams. Host the preliminary rounds in regional areas to act as surrogate trial matches. Include all those regional/expansion teams they wanna try out. Include regional champions like Tumut Dragons, Tingha Tigers and Young Cherrypickers.
Exactly my thoughts!And have been for quite a while!

Also I would like a 2nd tier comp with those clubs and more clubs that have expresses interest in joining the NRL comp such as Bears,Central Qld,Perth,Adelaide,PNG ect...And use a relegation process!

MeskBrah

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

i wouldnt mind a relegation/promotion thingy aswell, that goes along with your second point.

Captain Kickass

Dirtbag Lifecoach
Reaction score
Go ahead ... design your own comp(s) !

NRL - Telstra Premiership
Melbourne Storm
Brisbane Broncos
New Zealand Warriors
Gold Coast Titans
North Qld Cowboys
Newcastle Knights
St.George Illawarra Dragons
Canterbury Bulldogs
Parramatta Eels
South’s Sydney
Sydney Roosters
Wests Tigers
Western Reds
Central Queensland Comets

NRL2 - 1st Division
South Brisbane
North Brisbane
Ipswich Jets
Toowoomba Clydesdales
Central Coast Bears
Canberra Raiders
Penrith Panthers
Manly Sea-Eagles
Illawarra Steelers
Cronulla Sharks
Adelaide Rams
Christchurch
Wellington
Papua New Guinea Kummels

Other Teams to consider for NRL Cup ...
Internationals ...
Fiji
Tonga
Samoa

NSW/QLD Cup
Mackay Cutters
Cairns (Northern Pride)
Northern Territory
Newtown Jets
Balmain Tigers
Wests Magpies
Windsor Wolves
Cabramatta Two Blues

Regional Champions
NSW Country Group Winners
QLD Regional Winners

Affiliated States
Melbourne Residents
WA Residents
SA Residents

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
I'm more interested on this bit:

When I say "if and when" the commission is established, I mean that as a big IF and WHEN.

Self-interest, hidden agendas and survival tactics are still severely restricting this process. I will discuss the real reasons behind the prolonged procrastination in these negotiations and those responsible some time in the coming weeks - they can't keep me silent for much longer. It's time this stuff is set free for public consumption. Fans will be up in arms when the truth is revealed.
With those very comments it has me doubting he'll be in the NRL in a coaching role with Penrith.

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
He is a smart man but sometimes he points out the obvious and tries to make himself sound like a genius.
Sometimes?!

That's all he ever does. Throw in he uses a shtload of hindsight, too.

PantherPower83

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gould may state the obvious, but he's exactly what is needed to voice the concerns.

No else seems to have the initiative and I'm sure he will continue to talk, write, and communicate his thoughts (as well as the collective rugby league community) to ensure that action is made.

PantherPower83

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Melbourne Storm
Brisbane Broncos
New Zealand Warriors
Gold Coast Titans
North Qld Cowboys
Newcastle Knights
Canterbury Bulldogs
Parramatta Eels
South’s Sydney
Sydney Roosters
Wests Tigers
Western Reds

NRL2 - 1st Division
South Brisbane
North Brisbane
Ipswich Jets
Toowoomba Clydesdales
Central Coast Bears
Canberra Raiders
Penrith Panthers
Manly Sea-Eagles
Illawarra Steelers
Cronulla Sharks
Adelaide Rams
Christchurch
Wellington
Papua New Guinea Kummels

Internationals ...
Fiji
Tonga
Samoa

NSW/QLD Cup
Mackay Cutters
Cairns (Northern Pride)
Northern Territory
Newtown Jets
Balmain Tigers
Wests Magpies
Windsor Wolves
Cabramatta Two Blues

Regional Champions
QLD Regional Winners

Affiliated States
Melbourne Residents
WA Residents
SA Residents
Boooooo! C'mon Panthers in the second division with the likes of Ipswich and the Rams? :p

pillow

The Bloodline
Reaction score
Melbourne Storm
Brisbane Broncos
New Zealand Warriors
Gold Coast Titans
North Qld Cowboys
Newcastle Knights
Canterbury Bulldogs
Parramatta Eels
South’s Sydney
Sydney Roosters
Wests Tigers
Western Reds

NRL2 - 1st Division
South Brisbane
North Brisbane
Ipswich Jets
Toowoomba Clydesdales
Central Coast Bears
Canberra Raiders
Penrith Panthers
Manly Sea-Eagles

Illawarra Steelers
Cronulla Sharks
Adelaide Rams
Christchurch
Wellington
Papua New Guinea Kummels

Internationals ...
Fiji
Tonga
Samoa

NSW/QLD Cup
Mackay Cutters
Cairns (Northern Pride)
Northern Territory
Newtown Jets
Balmain Tigers
Wests Magpies
Windsor Wolves
Cabramatta Two Blues

Regional Champions
QLD Regional Winners

Affiliated States
Melbourne Residents
WA Residents
SA Residents
lol yet teams like Parra who haven't won a premiership in 25yrs and souffs who will never win again are kept in first grade?

Penrith-Panther

Waterboy
Reaction score
Melbourne Storm
Brisbane Broncos
New Zealand Warriors
Gold Coast Titans
North Qld Cowboys
Newcastle Knights
Canterbury Bulldogs
Parramatta Eels
South’s Sydney
Sydney Roosters
Wests Tigers
Western Reds

NRL2 - 1st Division
South Brisbane
North Brisbane
Ipswich Jets
Toowoomba Clydesdales
Central Coast Bears
Canberra Raiders
Penrith Panthers
Manly Sea-Eagles
Illawarra Steelers
Cronulla Sharks
Adelaide Rams
Christchurch
Wellington
Papua New Guinea Kummels

Internationals ...
Fiji
Tonga
Samoa

NSW/QLD Cup
Mackay Cutters
Cairns (Northern Pride)
Northern Territory
Newtown Jets
Balmain Tigers
Wests Magpies
Windsor Wolves
Cabramatta Two Blues

Regional Champions
QLD Regional Winners

Affiliated States
Melbourne Residents
WA Residents
SA Residents
Was agreeing with you so much till I saw that. Warriors, Souths and the Cowboys would be much more deserving of relegation IMO.

Captain Kickass

Dirtbag Lifecoach
Reaction score
To be honest, it was a snap decision for the purpose of this thread. I got nothing against Penny Pamfers : It's the crowds and member numbers that holds you back ... I'd be happy to listen to reason regarding financial clout and junior participation rates. I'd love to see you snag the Blacktowners away from GayFL and Parra. That's why I like the re-branding idea. Penrith-Hawkesbury or Penrith-Blacktown.

Someone mentioned above how I chose premiership winning teams for relegation above the likes of Souths. - On the surface Souths seems more sustainable with their members and all. If they actually DO win something ... imagine the Red-V dressed like Freddy Kreuger everywhere !

One thing we haven't spoken about yet - The Mergers. Do we split St George and Illawarra ? Can St George PAY Illawarra to GTFO ? Can Illawarra buty their independance into the 2nd tier and start from scratch ? Do we split Wests Magpies and Balmain Tigers ? Do they do it, and force themselves into 2nd tier for independance and to prove viability ?

Bitemarks

mmm tasty ear
Reaction score
Melbourne Storm
Brisbane Broncos
New Zealand Warriors
Gold Coast Titans
North Qld Cowboys
Newcastle Knights
Canterbury Bulldogs
Parramatta Eels
South’s Sydney
Sydney Roosters
Wests Tigers
Western Reds

NRL2 - 1st Division
South Brisbane
North Brisbane
Ipswich Jets
Toowoomba Clydesdales
Central Coast Bears
Canberra Raiders
Penrith Panthers
Manly Sea-Eagles
Illawarra Steelers
Cronulla Sharks
Adelaide Rams
Christchurch
Wellington
Papua New Guinea Kummels

Internationals ...
Fiji
Tonga
Samoa

NSW/QLD Cup
Mackay Cutters
Cairns (Northern Pride)
Northern Territory
Newtown Jets
Balmain Tigers
Wests Magpies
Windsor Wolves
Cabramatta Two Blues

Regional Champions
QLD Regional Winners

Affiliated States
Melbourne Residents
WA Residents
SA Residents
Simply no if it was to be anything like that it should be based on a relegation/ promotion zone like the Premier league.

SOO needs to be revised the NRL talk about expanding, but we have this dinosaur rep game which has no relevance to the states we're trying to win over.

Status
Not open for further replies.