News Phil Gould explains Canterbury's recruitment approach

dogbone

Kennel Established
Reaction score
We could have Burton and Crita in the centres and we would have a NSW standard backline with the Fox on the wing. But I think between Kiraz, Xerri, Skelton and Tracy we now have the centres covered. I would go with Xerri and Tracy in the centres with Fox and Kiraz on the wings. With Crita at fullback we would have a pretty speedy backline.

But maybe if Sexton cannot lead us around then Tracy would be half as I think he has more skill and unpredictability or maybe even Taaffe. We also have the option of Kiraz going to centre and bringing in Wilson or Skelton on the wing. Its good we have so many options.

But maybe too many options as that would leave Mann, Hutchinson, Salmon and Turpin fighting out for utility bench spots. In saying that its a good problem to have.
Tracey gives us a settled centre option, especially if Critta ends up at fullback. I think it means the club see Kiraz as a winger which is good. As much as we hope Xerri works out, signing Tracey means we have insurance if it doesn't or if it takes a while. I actually think Xerri will be good to go round 1. Fitness wise centre is the easiest backline position as you wouldnt have to do as much running there as opposed to fullback or on the wing. It all comes down to his decision making in defence. Then there is Skelton who is a massive X-factor. I think his best position is centre as he looks a handful with the ball and has an offload in him. Potential backrow option too depending on his workrate and we dont have much depth in the that spot. I reckon Hutchison, Taaffe and Turpin will play NSW Cup and keep the pressure on Burton, Sexton and Mahoney.

stevesonthebay

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Tracey gives us a settled centre option, especially if Critta ends up at fullback. I think it means the club see Kiraz as a winger which is good. As much as we hope Xerri works out, signing Tracey means we have insurance if it doesn't or if it takes a while. I actually think Xerri will be good to go round 1. Fitness wise centre is the easiest backline position as you wouldnt have to do as much running there as opposed to fullback or on the wing. It all comes down to his decision making in defence. Then there is Skelton who is a massive X-factor. I think his best position is centre as he looks a handful with the ball and has an offload in him. Potential backrow option too depending on his workrate and we dont have much depth in the that spot. I reckon Hutchison, Taaffe and Turpin will play NSW Cup and keep the pressure on Burton, Sexton and Mahoney.
I am beginning to get a bit excited about the Dogs especially our outside backs. There is experience and speed with like you said a couple of X factors in Skelton but I also think Wilson. It means good options and backup instead of scrambling to fill spots often with a weaker option which we get found out in games.

But potentially we could have a very exciting backline able to score from all over the field. I know we saw this a bit early this season with Burton and the Fox, also Alamoti. BUt having good speed and experienced footy heads in the backs and linking this could be good.

I think we may struggle at first with forward power but I also think we have enough attacking options to create something. But we really need our forwards to stand up. I heard Gus saying not to give up on the young forwards and I tend to agree. I think with a new look side and higher levels of training and commitment everyone will be on board and this may give our young mids into play more. Heres hoping anyway.

Dyldog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Incoming predictable rants coming. So predictable I’ll do it for them:

“Gus is hopeless, he couldn’t secure any players in positions we need so he is panic buying. All the players he has bought are fringe first graders (spittle collecting at sides of mouth). He took a stupid risk with Xerri. All the stupid Gus cucks on here are to busy with their heads up there Gus’s ass to see the truth as known to us (frothing at the mouth now, spittle flying). I am the best on this forum, I am the only one that hasn’t been hoodwinked by Gus (smug pride radiating my face). And Ciraldo, he isn’t a coaches elbow (face like a beetroot again), his use of the bench last year was amateurish. All you idiots need to recognise my greatness (stamping me feet now).
Shut up idiot