News Phil Gould explains Canterbury's recruitment approach

Jackson_1994

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Phil Gould explains Canterbury's recruitment approach

Canterbury will head into next season with a host of fresh faces among their squad - and there is a certain method to the madness of their recruitment drive according to Phil Gould.

After a stretch of disappointing results, the Bulldogs have undergone a major roster overhaul in the lead-up to 2024, with the likes of Kyle Flanagan, Tevita Pangai Junior and Luke Thompson freeing up crucial salary cap space.

With the cliche 'war chest' at his disposal, Gould has managed to lure three-time premiership winner Stephen Crichton away from the Panthers, while players such as Josh Curran and Bronson Xerri will also join the club.

But in recent months, question marks have been raised regarding some of Gould's signings and the lack of variety, with utilities Jaeman Salmon, Drew Hutchison and Kurt Mann all potentially playing similar roles.

Phil Gould explains Bulldogs recruitment approach

In an interview with SEN Radio on Wednesday, the club's head of football opened up on the approach to Canterbury's recruitment and what he wants out of the squad next season.

“What we’ve tried to do this year is bring some experience and football IQ into the club around attacking football, and also to get some players that have been in successful systems," Gould said.

"Buying players from Penrith, Souths, Roosters and those sorts of things we hope will rub off on us in the way they prepare and look at football.

"You’re going to need more than just a half and five-eighth during the course of the season… you need depth of talent. We’ve got a nice mix of talent there that are all at that stage where they have played 60, 70 first grade games.

"Right at the moment, we’re recruiting for the best interest of the team and we’ll go from there."

One area of concern for the Dogs is their lack of front-row options, with the previously-mentioned duo of Thompson and Pangai leaving a gaping hole in the middle of the field.

As it stands, Canterbury have just six recognised props, headlined by Max King and Liam Knight, with their touted acquisition of Sio Siua Taukeiaho falling over at the final hurdle.

Gould admitted the lack of big men was an issue for his side, but also urged fans to back the younger players in the squad who will receive an opportunity.

“I think everyone knows that and sees that – the problem is, there’s nothing really on the market to buy and we don’t want to rush out and spend the money," he said.

"We’ve probably got a little bit more than people see there, we’ve got some young blokes there that didn’t play a lot of football this year and they’d be feeling a lot better about it if they’d seen them play.

"We’re certainly looking, we’ve got money available and we can make spots available, and we realise that’s an issue for us and we’re working towards it.

"Internally, we’re pretty confident with the blokes we’ve got – but there’s no doubt that we are looking for an experienced middle-forward."

One of those big-name middles that Gould could potentially target is Addin Fonua-Blake, with the former NSW Origin coach expressing some interest in the wantaway Warriors powerhouse - but understands he won't come cheap.

Who will play in the halves for Canterbury Bulldogs?

Another query surrounding Belmore heading into the new year is their halves situation, with new recruits Hutchison, Mann and Blake Taaffe potentially placing pressure on the incumbent six and seven.

Matt Burton has been a revelation at centre during his career but the club have already invested plenty of time and effort into his development as a playmaker, while Toby Sexton is coming into a make-or-break season for his career.

"Matty Burton is still young and was sort of thrust into this role without much preparation, so we certainly haven't written him off as a playmaker of the future," Gould said.

On the same day as Gould's in-depth interview, co-captain Burton also fronted the media to reiterate his desire to remain at five-eighth long-term under head coach Cameron Ciraldo.

"I spoke to the coach yesterday and just talking about the position," he said.

"I’m working my backside off to play five-eighth, but whatever is best for the team, that’s cool.

"I just like hands on the ball and directing the team around, that’s the player I want to be."

At this stage, Burton will likely wear the No.6 jumper for the Dogs, while Sexton is expected to get first crack at the halfback jumper with Karl Oloapu sidelined due to a neck injury.

Robbothedestroyer

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lost all our footy IQ when we got rid of okunbor lol.
We have fallen a long way that we now have to buy average role players from other successful clubs and systems that know how to win. No doubt recruitment, retention and development is an issue but also highlights failings in coaching staff.

GoTeamRaRaFunky

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
We have fallen a long way that we now have to buy average role players from other successful clubs and systems that know how to win. No doubt recruitment, retention and development is an issue but also highlights failings in coaching staff.
Actually when Okunbor was first playing on the wing he looked like a smart football player. However the team generally wasn't playing a high IQ game.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
You are forgetting about the worst rule in the National Rorts League and that's forcing clubs to spend 95% of the cap for the lower teams on trash rosters, made harder by teams who find loopholes to cheat the cap also a lot harder the obvious lack of talent !!!
Incidentally it's going up to 97.5%.
They want us to believe they want an even playing field, sorry can't stop :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy:

PaxMaxi1980

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Incoming predictable rants coming. So predictable I’ll do it for them:

“Gus is hopeless, he couldn’t secure any players in positions we need so he is panic buying. All the players he has bought are fringe first graders (spittle collecting at sides of mouth). He took a stupid risk with Xerri. All the stupid Gus cucks on here are to busy with their heads up there Gus’s ass to see the truth as known to us (frothing at the mouth now, spittle flying). I am the best on this forum, I am the only one that hasn’t been hoodwinked by Gus (smug pride radiating my face). And Ciraldo, he isn’t a coaches elbow (face like a beetroot again), his use of the bench last year was amateurish. All you idiots need to recognise my greatness (stamping me feet now).

Snake

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Our footy IQ has been the worse in the comp for a long time. Hutcho, Mann, JS , Taffe bring an element of IQ we have been lacking but they aren’t athletically gifted. Mann and Taffe have no physical presence and Hutch and JS are slow movers

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
Okunbor was our PR guy for youth approach. He was good at spotting kids.

Last edited:

Snake

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Taafe is lightning fast mate I'd say that is athletically gifted.
Yea he is quick and got a decent pass. I watched him closely live this year when he played fullback at the sunny coast. He looked light and got manhandled badly with his kick returns that night. Similar lack of impact to Perham

2ndphase

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Actually when Okunbor was first playing on the wing he looked like a smart football player. However the team generally wasn't playing a high IQ game.
The only smart thing that Knockonbor did was place a bet on the other team to score 3-4 tries against him.

Its sooo good knowing that next year that i wont see his name on the team sheet on Tuesdays.

PaxMaxi1980

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I can’t understand why Taffe isn’t being looked at/discussed for centre. Put him inside the Fox; he’s quick enough with a good passing game to put wingers away.
If he can play in the halves he can obviously handle the defence.

ElMagicElMasri

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I can’t understand why Taffe isn’t being looked at/discussed for centre. Put him inside the Fox; he’s quick enough with a good passing game to put wingers away.
or you could put the Dally M centre of the year in…the centres, and play a natural half in…the halves

fmd taffee centre I’ve heard it all now

kmr07

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not big enough. Centres have back rowers running at them all day.. Taaffe would get trampled more than Dufty did

stevesonthebay

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
We could have Burton and Crita in the centres and we would have a NSW standard backline with the Fox on the wing. But I think between Kiraz, Xerri, Skelton and Tracy we now have the centres covered. I would go with Xerri and Tracy in the centres with Fox and Kiraz on the wings. With Crita at fullback we would have a pretty speedy backline.

But maybe if Sexton cannot lead us around then Tracy would be half as I think he has more skill and unpredictability or maybe even Taaffe. We also have the option of Kiraz going to centre and bringing in Wilson or Skelton on the wing. Its good we have so many options.

But maybe too many options as that would leave Mann, Hutchinson, Salmon and Turpin fighting out for utility bench spots. In saying that its a good problem to have.

Last edited: