News Phil Gould delves into Bulldogs issues as pressure mounts on Cameron Ciraldo

ElMagicElMasri

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Best post of this thread.
100% spot on as to why we are as shit as we are.

And all these recruitment decisions are from Gus, TB and CC.

Gus has time on his side and will fix the junior pathways. But the mistakes made to the top 30 cannot be dusted under the carpet.

The decision to recruit Burton has sent the club backwards 6 years I reckon. Coz it has already cost us the chance to get a proper established half and will continue to do so for the next few years....
Cost a chance at who?

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Did everyone watch his conference. He didn't blame anyone, article is taken out of context completely. Staff writer just making assumptions... we sucked 6 years ago, so is Gus not allowed to say this process needed to be done earlier. Pretty basic stuff without sensationalism.
100%

Doggies2035

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Bullshit by Phil Gould we had this situation in 2008 got the wooden spoon and then recruited some players and in 2009 we was nearly minor premiers with a rookie coach in Kevin Moore

now after the 2-3 years of recruitment of certain star players he’s saying who knows when we can make finals

TalDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It’s ugly but true

I just hope we are at least challenging for the 8 from next year

TalDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bennett can piece together a team in 12 months and make it competitive.

Gus been here for 2 years which is enough time for someone of his credentials to show signs of at least improvment.

The decision to overlook Flanagan Snr or Potter to put in an assistant coach with no experience is a monumental Fuck up.
Not the same no baggage and full cap to spend

Any of the struggling clubs would kill to be able to start the roster from scratch

Would love him as a coach though

TalDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Deep down i agree with Gus regarding a long term approach but we are now 8 years in. I still can't stomach us playing perham and okenbor every week. These blokes are not 1st graders and not even injury backup. Gould still spins too much hot air in telling us he doesn't want knee jerk quick fixes and then signs Toby for 18 months. He also tells us the side was tired and worn down but we were fresh off a bye so don't make flimsy excuses just tell us its not acceptable rather than feed us bullshit. I don't want any more shellacking's. I want effort not standing behind the tryline thinking about the end of season Bali trip
They can’t not sign anyone
We need a 7 who else is there out there

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He got the best out of his players because he had a squad of players on unders. He signed players like Greg Eastwood for $300k first year and growing to $800k by the time his deal was to end. Many other players were also signed to back end deals. He didn’t care about the longevity of the club. His sole focus was to win a premiership immediately then get out. He backloaded half the contracts. Totally pulled funding for juniors also.

Make no bones about it Des is the reason for our pain now. Along with incompetence in management from the board for allowing him to do it. Des has stuffed Manly up the same way.

Subsequent boards have failed to address the issues also which is why it has dragged on for so long.
I don't quite agree.
Des certainly stuffed our SC but it was his inability to spend it wisely that ultimately costs us time and players.

Des paid the big bucks to average players rather than the stars of the team.

If you are going to spend or backload contracts, you do it to spine players.

At Manly, even if they had their money tied up to 3 or 4 players, it was the best 3 or 4 players. And most importantly, it included a FB and Halfback.

Very rarely does a team pay big bucks for a spine player and fails miserably.

Broncos with Milf and Titans with Ash Taylor ate the only ones that come to mind.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fact :

The bulldogs were one of the clubs who voted to abolish the National under 20s comp. It was seen as a move to save money.

Gus criticised the club at the time for failing to focus on developing players. There were a fair few other clubs he criticised at the time who also voted to abandon the national under 20 comp. He was at the panthers at the time.

It’s a dig at Des, Raelene and the board the time. He is correct.

But that doesn’t mean every decision he has made since he came back is correct as well. It’s pretty rare that Gus admits he was wrong. That’s why he is an easy target for his critics

TalDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Des is a fucken cancer, boarderline psychopath.
He only cares about the top 30 at any club and even then really the top 17 because that’s how he gets his multimillion dollar contracts
Titans will probably see a couple of years of success then be a dumpster fire for a decade
Des is not Bellamy or Bennett
The problem we have is once they cut out the cancer (Des) the subsequent management/coaches didn’t want to do the hard yards and kept chasing quick fixes/success and none of it worked so we started over again and again, that’s what Gus is referring to.
Perfectly put

Docta

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Gus is building for sustained success. I’m pretty sure we went back to being poor for a few years after 2009.

What we did have in 2009 was great juniors coming through such as Barba, Idris, Ficuane Jackson etc but that all stopped when Des arrived in 2012

Noosa Dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
He didn’t even mention Des. If anything he meant the admin after Des
TBH, it was the admin during Des that was also the issue. They should have had him on a shorter leash (no pun intended)

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fact :

The bulldogs were one of the clubs who voted to abolish the National under 20s comp. It was seen as a move to save money.

Gus criticised the club at the time for failing to focus on developing players. There were a fair few other clubs he criticised at the time who also voted to abandon the national under 20 comp. He was at the panthers at the time.

It’s a dig at Des, Raelene and the board the time. He is correct.

But that doesn’t mean every decision he has made since he came back is correct as well. It’s pretty rare that Gus admits he was wrong. That’s why he is an easy target for his critics
The 20’s comp was floored simply because it was Under 20’s. Most players don’t develop until after they are 20. They tied up a hell of a lot of money in a competition that didn’t have a pathway for players to develop.

If every team had a under 23’s that played the same draw as the NRL the league would be so much better for it.

Under 23 comp with the provision for up to 5 players to be over age in the team. A genuine 2nd grade competition. This would hugely help player numbers and allow for expansion.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 20’s comp was floored simply because it was Under 20’s. Most players don’t develop until after they are 20. They tied up a hell of a lot of money in a competition that didn’t have a pathway for players to develop.

If every team had a under 23’s that played the same draw as the NRL the league would be so much better for it.

Under 23 comp with the provision for up to 5 players to be over age in the team. A genuine 2nd grade competition. This would hugely help player numbers and allow for expansion.
I am not saying why it did or didn’t flop. Just clarifying some teams wanted it to go ahead and some didn’t.

We voted that it didn’t .

That pissed Gus off and he is still dining out on it.

Again, I don’t agree or disagree with him. Just trying to put some perspective on it because I have listened to a heap of Gus podcasts well before he joined us

Reactions: CMP