News Phil Gould delves into Bulldogs issues as pressure mounts on Cameron Ciraldo

DogDays

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
And just this year our juniors are improving thanks to Gus being here 2 years.

Did he say it's all his fault and said I can't fix it? Or did he explain the situation and went straight to work on our juniors.

FMD some people let hate blind them.... he isn't a God and isn't right 100% of the time. CC appears to be his biggest fuck up but hopefully comes good.
Not hate. Only accountability.

CC is out of his depth. That alone says it all for me.

Juniors improving perhaps, but it won’t be known for a little. Let’s not jump the gun.

Gene Krupa

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Do you think Bennett would be going as bad with this current team of ours? I'll have 10k on the answer no chance
Each team he leaves, they are worse off. And I don't mean coach wise

He was the start of Broncos problems.

He went to Dragons, they are worse off, same as Knights & Souths.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
He is right isn't he?

Des and the dumb ***** in the board did fuck us and set us back years
Yes they did…absolute disaster ! some may say , yet what they dished up on field was much better lol. That’s why the whole situation is so sad. My bad !! :tongueclosed:

Nexus

Super Duper Ultimate Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
A lot of what he says is true, however he was also involved in re signing Reynolds to one of our top 30 spots, so fuck him for that

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gus speaking nothing but facts
Rubbish timeline though.
Any club that takes more than 3 years to bounce back after a cleanout, is a failure.

Let's face it, we have bought some big name players and here we are still pegged at bottom of the ladder but playing the worst style of football out of 17 teams.

The truth is that we have not recruited the players that were needed to revitalise the team.

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Image1688466233.674926.jpg

Look at all the Gould haters … like little moths to the telecrap flame ..

Before all the sprouting of about losing respect etc. etc. go listen to the press conference for yourself, nowhere does Gould mention any previous coaches, management, board members or salary cap ..

If there was a thinly veiled message it was probably more around lack of focus towards junior development, if that had been the focus 6/7 year ago we’d already be contenders ..

Fly towards the flame and let your hate burn bright ..

Saw this article and knew old dj would be onto it ..

justdogs

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I trust Gould & CC as well, but certainly not going to suck them, there are others on here that will happily step up though ..
some here really suck, lol

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Most of us knew it then, and it remains true now. It hurts like hell to lose, especially badly as we have in the last three games, but what hurts in the heart doesn't change what the head knows to be true, in this business you can't chase short term success and not pay for it long term. And of all the clubs in the NRL, ours is probably in the group of 6 or 7 that can LEAST afford the strategy.

The process is pretty simple, Gus hasn't hidden it. Build up the juniors, get the grassroots happening. The more good youngsters that are wearing blue and white, the more good staff will come along to be part of it.

We've got our timing wrong on so many things, but humans are terrible prophets, so there is no point kicking stones. We've been looking for some good NRL talent to add to the team at a reasonable price in the last few seasons right when a new team with 30 rosters spots was being added to the comp. Add to that Covid, cut backs on expenditure, and all kinds of other stuff and it is hard to point out a worse time in the last 30 years of Rugby League to be going through a crisis like this.

But, put the right processes in place, stick with them, and we will get there.
The 2 are completely unrelated.
Nothing wrong with Gus sorting out our juniors pathways.

But that doesn't hide from the fact that the recruitment over the last few years for our first grade team has provided a negative return.

We've made poor acquisition choices for no improvement. We've spent all our SC and have signed on big money contracts for way too long.

And that's all on Gus and TB and CC.

You can hide behind the mask all you want but you can't fool me

CBDoggies

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I really dislike des but from every coach since folks he has been the most successful and got us to 2 grand finals and consistent finals appearances. If it was that bad des wouldn’t have wanted to stay. People forget he atleast got the best out of his players.
We have not seen any player from any coach’s since thrive at this club. If anything they have gone backwards. So let’s stop playing the des card game that was how many years ago? It’s easy to palm off blame to the past but cmon! Our cap for this year wasn’t bad atall and how many gun forwards did we refuse to sign for this year that have been snapped up. How many 7s could we have gotten that were snapped up… I can keep going

but gus needs to accept his current flop Calls and call a spade a spade. His decisions to play the so called youngest side in the comp was on him for this year.
All of a sudden there isn’t anything on the market because you sat on your hands hoping a few of your bargain buys come through which they clearly did not. Now we are atleast 1-2 years behind success cause of his stupid calls.
Don’t get me wrong I like gus but this blame game about the past is stupid and over done. There’s nothing wrong with recruiting experienced players in important positions to get current results. Building for the future is nothing but buying themselves time till they get it right!

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Not hate. Only accountability.

CC is out of his depth. That alone says it all for me.

Juniors improving perhaps, but it won’t be known for a little. Let’s not jump the gun.
Yes the Assistant looks out of his depth, I personally think he is a dud but just hope he comes good or we find a real coach.

Like I said, Gus isn't a god and makes mistakes at nrlol level, but he has already started to fix juniors so we don't have to overspend on outside players like we have had to do since Des.

Docta

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I’m losing respect for Gus by the day.

Him coming out and trying to shore up himself by blaming those before him speaks volumes for the man.

Des is about to move on to his second club after the dogs, with two years away from the game within that time.

The path of least resistance is to blame who came before.

Gould has taken us backwards.

He might take us forward eventually - but there are plenty of other people who could also. And I’d argue that they wouldn’t demand a 1mill/Yr to do so and 5-6 more years to make us competitive.

Myth is an understatement.
And who are these plenty of people that could take us to the promise land?

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The salary cap isn't an excuse anymore. The reality is that we just haven't nailed our key signings.

Instead of signing a halfback we sign a centre and some kids. Instead of signing a fullback we again sign another centre and some reserve grader hoping to strike gold. Instead of signing some props we sign a luxury edge forward.

We just haven't focused our resources in the right areas and it's as simple as that.
Best post of this thread.
100% spot on as to why we are as shit as we are.

And all these recruitment decisions are from Gus, TB and CC.

Gus has time on his side and will fix the junior pathways. But the mistakes made to the top 30 cannot be dusted under the carpet.

The decision to recruit Burton has sent the club backwards 6 years I reckon. Coz it has already cost us the chance to get a proper established half and will continue to do so for the next few years....

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I don’t know what is worse, our desperate diehard fans looking to be encouraged by any positive spin put out by the shrinking red blob. Or, the shrinking red blob.

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I really dislike des but from every coach since folks he has been the most successful and got us to 2 grand finals and consistent finals appearances. If it was that bad des wouldn’t have wanted to stay. People forget he atleast got the best out of his players.
We have not seen any player from any coach’s since thrive at this club. If anything they have gone backwards. So let’s stop playing the des card game that was how many years ago? It’s easy to palm off blame to the past but cmon! Our cap for this year wasn’t bad atall and how many gun forwards did we refuse to sign for this year that have been snapped up. How many 7s could we have gotten that were snapped up… I can keep going

but gus needs to accept his current flop Calls and call a spade a spade. His decisions to play the so called youngest side in the comp was on him for this year.
All of a sudden there isn’t anything on the market because you sat on your hands hoping a few of your bargain buys come through which they clearly did not. Now we are atleast 1-2 years behind success cause of his stupid calls.
Don’t get me wrong I like gus but this blame game about the past is stupid and over done. There’s nothing wrong with recruiting experienced players in important positions to get current results. Building for the future is nothing but buying themselves time till they get it right!
He got the best out of his players because he had a squad of players on unders. He signed players like Greg Eastwood for $300k first year and growing to $800k by the time his deal was to end. Many other players were also signed to back end deals. He didn’t care about the longevity of the club. His sole focus was to win a premiership immediately then get out. He backloaded half the contracts. Totally pulled funding for juniors also.

Make no bones about it Des is the reason for our pain now. Along with incompetence in management from the board for allowing him to do it. Des has stuffed Manly up the same way.

Subsequent boards have failed to address the issues also which is why it has dragged on for so long.