News Phil Gould delves into Bulldogs issues as pressure mounts on Cameron Ciraldo

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
That's the whole point if we were a well run club Gus wouldn't be here in the first place.

I've cooled down from Sunday's loss.

I genuinely hope Ciraldo can see his time out and he goes on to make us a competitive team.

Sauce Head

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't panic buy....says the guy who paid 700k each for Mahoney and Crichton. Peak comedy.
In fairness, would you expect those players to cost less in an open market? I think it’s pretty par.
If you wanna lay the boot in from that perspective, there are better targets eg TPJ, Thompson, even has far back as Corey Allen

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
In fairness, would you expect those players to cost less in an open market? I think it’s pretty par.
If you wanna lay the boot in from that perspective, there are better targets eg TPJ, Thompson, even has far back as Corey Allen
Crichton is on overs, for sure. He’s a centre and we’re giving him fullback money. Other dumbass clubs like the dragons might pay 700k for him, but no smart club would.

Mahoney is just a complete waste of cap space.

Awful signings, adding to what is already a long list of them, as you point out.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Mahoney & Crichton aren't panic buys

Since when do clubs stuck at the bottom of the ladder not have to pay overs to some degree?
Signing players for good value deals shouldn’t be an issue. Gould had one of the best reputations in the game… although he seems yo be on a mission to ruin it.

Even if we do have to pay overs, we should be doing it in the positions that most need addressing. We shouldn’t have signed an overrated hooker when we already had a better and cheaper hooker at the club (and still have one now Flanagan is playing there), and we shouldn’t be signing luxury centres when we have good young centres at the club… just on the off chance he works out at fullback.

Both were very stupid and wasteful signings.

DogDays

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
"I personally suggested to him come next year, not to come this year, come next year.

"I said we'd be far better equipped by then, well hoping we would. He said, 'I'll get into the fight', which he has done.

"He's done an outstanding job, all our coaching staff have done an outstanding job, so too the players."

Gould trying his best to defend the coach and himself.

Saying he should have waited until next year is just absolute rubbish.

Why sack Barrett? Then embark on a search for a new coach? Why not extend Potter? If you really wanted Ciraldo for 2024, there are many ways he could have done it. Saying it now is just damage control.

Gus playing slick media manager so that he can keep the wolves at bay…

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Crichton is on overs, for sure. He’s a centre and we’re giving him fullback money. Other dumbass clubs like the dragons might pay 700k for him, but no smart club would.

Mahoney is just a complete waste of cap space.

Awful signings, adding to what is already a long list of them, as you point out.
Except unlike other fullback experiments Crichton has played fullback at representative level.

a dogs life

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Except unlike other fullback experiments Crichton has played fullback at representative level.
They think he can play fullback obviously so all of us nuffies will have to wait to see. Don’t see how people can possibly write him off at this juncture. At 700k there are plenty of fullbacks in the NRL right now on considerably more, so at worst, if he doesn’t pan out at no.1, we may have marginally overpaid for an elite centre.

Caveman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think they are starting to defend players were years ago we hang them out to dry and to be honest i think no matter what they said or say the kennel would have found something to complain about.
Understand what your saying but disagree, we were calling for the club to stand up for players for years, and for years they have done nothing of the kind... happy to throw jammer under the bus on good Friday etc.

Ever since castle no one has stuck uo for the club or the players ... I would applaud that if such a thing happened today.. but what you're talking about is different, thus is a club that is showing no public care whatsoever for poor performances .. from players smiling and mucking around after numerous embarrassing floggings, to captains being cats and coaches repeated war cry of "we are trying our best" when every man and his dog can see that is far from true.

The sticking up for players that we are seeing now from our club is girly kindergarten stuff that you see in an entitled generation - its the stuff fairies and princesses are made of... the sticking up for the club that we need is leadership calling a spade a spade and making the hard calls and having the tough conversations for the betterment of the club and the individual players.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Doesn't CC have a 5 year contract?
Enough said.
Get the chalkboard out.
Maybe we have to eat another season or two of misery.
Put a fucking massive broom playing group.
And buy some tackle bags for fuck sake.
Tackle tackle tackle.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Bulldogs boss Phil Gould says the salary cap sins of past management has left the club with a torturous rebuild that makes it impossible to predict when they will return to finals footy.
In a veiled swipe directed at former coach Des Hasler and CEO Raelene Castle, Gould gave a brutal reality check for disgruntled fans by warning Canterbury were destined for more pain due to the long and arduous process of developing the club from ground up.
Hasler took the Dogs to five finals series in six seasons, including runners up in the 2012 and 2014 grand final.
Canterbury haven’t played finals in six years while Hasler and Castle have remained staunch in their decision to adopt a contract model that included huge back-ended deals.
Gould took it upon himself to front the press on Tuesday following the club’s humiliating 66-0 nil loss to Newcastle last Sunday.
The general manager offered a 15-minute overview of the club’s flagging season, including an admission that he couldn’t predict when the club would be back in the finals race.
“I can’t answer that, no one can answer that,’’ Gould said.
“But I just know we can’t cut corners in the process. Because as soon as you do, you put yourself further behind. It hurts you in the long term.

Phil Gould has blamed Bulldogs' current crisis on the Des Hasler era.
“If you go out and try and look for quick fixes, it never works that way and you’re just pushing the problem further down the track.
“Someone has to come in and make the tough decisions and realise this is going to be tough for a while, I wish they (previous management) had done this six or seven years ago.
“If they had of, we wouldn’t be in this position today.
“My aim is that we’re not in this position in five or six years’ time.
“My aim is that this club is never in this position again.
“It (club) has been at the tail of the field for a long time. I think they ran 13th, 13th, 15th, 15th and 16th before I got here and it’s going to be painful for another couple of years yet.
“We just need to make sure this club doesn’t go through this type of period again.’’

DogDays

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Bulldogs boss Phil Gould says the salary cap sins of past management has left the club with a torturous rebuild that makes it impossible to predict when they will return to finals footy.
In a veiled swipe directed at former coach Des Hasler and CEO Raelene Castle, Gould gave a brutal reality check for disgruntled fans by warning Canterbury were destined for more pain due to the long and arduous process of developing the club from ground up.
Hasler took the Dogs to five finals series in six seasons, including runners up in the 2012 and 2014 grand final.
Canterbury haven’t played finals in six years while Hasler and Castle have remained staunch in their decision to adopt a contract model that included huge back-ended deals.
Gould took it upon himself to front the press on Tuesday following the club’s humiliating 66-0 nil loss to Newcastle last Sunday.
The general manager offered a 15-minute overview of the club’s flagging season, including an admission that he couldn’t predict when the club would be back in the finals race.
“I can’t answer that, no one can answer that,’’ Gould said.
“But I just know we can’t cut corners in the process. Because as soon as you do, you put yourself further behind. It hurts you in the long term.

Phil Gould has blamed Bulldogs' current crisis on the Des Hasler era.
“If you go out and try and look for quick fixes, it never works that way and you’re just pushing the problem further down the track.
“Someone has to come in and make the tough decisions and realise this is going to be tough for a while, I wish they (previous management) had done this six or seven years ago.
“If they had of, we wouldn’t be in this position today.
“My aim is that we’re not in this position in five or six years’ time.
“My aim is that this club is never in this position again.
“It (club) has been at the tail of the field for a long time. I think they ran 13th, 13th, 15th, 15th and 16th before I got here and it’s going to be painful for another couple of years yet.
“We just need to make sure this club doesn’t go through this type of period again.’’
Still blaming Des, I see.

Instead of owning where the club is at.

He wants 5-6 more years. An absolute joke.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
It isn't Des' fault Dib and Castle told him to recruit to a salary cap that didn't exist yet. People like to make jokes of Des' back ended contracts but it wouldn't of been an issue if the salary cap eventuated to what he was told to recruit to. Dib and Castle signed off on contracts to meet the "new" salary cap (ended up being much less). I'd put more blame on the Anderson's for their contribution after the fact than Des. It's also way too long ago to still be blaming people involved from that era (Des' Dog days).