News Phil Gould delves into Bulldogs issues as pressure mounts on Cameron Ciraldo

Moey

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
The fact Gus has come out with this BS deflection story actually scares me. He is a confident and cocky person usually and for him to go into protect mode makes me think he fucked up hiring Ciraldo..

Gus knows how to manipulate media for himself and good on him , gives us breathing space, but doesn't give out any confidence

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Doesn’t make it any better Gus, go to work instead of deflecting…. But on the subject, If Ciro took the job a year earlier, he has to own it. We’re done with the talk, action is required now.

He’s fixed the juniors, but now we need MEN in our NRL team.

TOTTO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So you guys want to sack Gould and Cilrado and the what ? get another coach start all over again and then when things aren't going to plan use the same excuse, how about we give them at least 2, 3 years and see were we are at.

Gene Krupa

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
This time next we’ll hear the same. ‘I told Cameron not to come until 2025 but he wanted to get in the fight’. 2024 was always going to be our hardest year. Blah blah blah
Then, I had to sack Cameron because he was improving the team & that meant my job was on the line.

Bullpit

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gould has called a press conference at 11AM this morning apparently. Let’s see what that is about???

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well if he advised him to start 2024 yet Gus signed him against his better judgement (and advice) bc 2023 too hard, then Gus had better get in there boots and all and help the guy handle the situation.

What the heck are the current players thinking about all this and how it affects their careers...and any getting approached to sign with us. The morale must be just so low.

"It's a difficult time, but it's part of the process that I've spoken about many, many times over the years in commentary, that to get out of the cellar you've got to make some tough decisions and take a long-term view towards it, and that's what we're doing.

"It's left us vulnerable at the moment but out of this we'll be hoping there's some lessons learned."

What are the tough decisions? What are the lessons learned?

If anything there's no tough decisions being made re Perhaps and Oki etc and no lessons learnt as we keep making same mistakes.
Letting Averillo go was probably a tough decision. Local junior but wasnt anywhere near worth what he got on the open market. Maybe Alamotti will be the same. Also expect Thompson to go and maybe TPJ to be given permission to leave. There will also be a heap of fringe players that wont get another deal I would imagine.

Apart from that I dont know. I agree with you in terms of lessons learnt. We are pretty much in the same position we were 2 years ago when we were thrashed 66-0 by Manly.

Hopefully one huge lesson is not to pay big money for an unproven English player who had never played NRL. Then to make it a 4 year deal was the icing on the cake.

I think we are also still paying a bit of freight for players like Allan, Schouup, etc so that might be another lesson learnt.

Geoff Chambers

Kennel Established
Reaction score
This is the most disgusting, deflecting sack of crap I've read since the season started.

Jesus H that's bad. Using management speak to cover his arse hoping that all the fans will be "Oh thank you, that's ok we understand now" lol

Dear oh fucking dear ‍♂‍♂

Geoff Chambers

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Gould has called a press conference at 11AM this morning apparently. Let’s see what that is about???
Very interesting

I bet it's just to expand on this BS column and use more "words" to appease the fans

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
There has to be an internal review as to how they got beat so badly. So the leaders of the club should speak out and not hide from the truth.

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Canterbury head of football Phil Gould has admitted the rebuild process at the club is still in its infancy, following a horror 66-0 loss to Newcastle over the weekend.

With the Bulldogs sitting inside the bottom-four and battling it out for the wooden spoon, the attention has turned to Gould and head coach Cameron Ciraldo, who has failed to improve the side in his first season.

Injuries to key players throughout the year has hampered the on-field performances, but in the wake of Sunday's defeat, many fans are growing frustrated and want an immediate response.

Speaking on 100% Footy, Gould was honest in his response to the loss and revealed the club's salary cap situation is heading in the right direction.

“It’s a difficult day for the club and a difficult day for those players, and that’s our priority at the moment to look after the players," he said.

"To be honest, it’s kind of been coming for a while – yesterday was breaking point for a lot of those fellas. They are just worn out… it was breaking point yesterday.

“It’s a subject that I’ve spoken about plenty of times – you have to take a long-term approach. The next champion team at the Bulldogs will be built from within, and you have to recruit at a very young age and bring through a system, and that takes a very long time.

"I’ve seen this with many clubs over the years – they panic buy, they race in and try to look for a quick fix, they’re looking for a win to get the fans and media of their back.

"I would have liked this process to have started six or seven years ago – we’ve done it, we cleared out a fair bit from last year to get our salary cap in order.

Caveman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So you guys want to sack Gould and Cilrado and the what ? get another coach start all over again and then when things aren't going to plan use the same excuse, how about we give them at least 2, 3 years and see were we are at.
Nah, don't want them sacked, just want them to own the garbage they a dishing up on the field, pricks have excuses every game, rather than calling a spade a spade.

Cotton Wool Cameron or Cream Puff Cameron or whatever he's called needs a teaspoon cement

Kenya

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The current team has only a couple of players out injured.
Kikau and Thompson.
Pele seems to have dropped to reserve grade. (?)

Yes we had a horror run with injuries but that is not the case now - we have dipped since last year.
We have dipped in the last 6 weeks.
Missed tackles have been mounting week after week. We have gone backwards.

King Gus

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Fuck me we have some sooks on this forum, what do you expect him to say?

Yeah we are shit but we are signing hass, tino, hunt and a bonus Cleary.

Fuck me listen to what you’re saying you think Gus doesn’t want to strengthen the club and bring it back to the glory days.

Steve Bos

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Personally I think the training intensity that CC has brought with him has just burnt the players out.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Nah, don't want them sacked, just want them to own the garbage they a dishing up on the field, pricks have excuses every game, rather than calling a spade a spade.

Cotton Wool Cameron or Cream Puff Cameron or whatever he's called needs a teaspoon cement
spot on… they are the right guys for the job imo, but not one of them called out that disgraceful performance was unacceptable to the standards of the club, members and wider fan base… the captain made it worse stating “fans didn’t have the right”…. Like fu<k we do buddy… without the fans there’s nothing.

M4cca

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We desperately need Gus’ stature in the game if we’re to attract the players to get out of this mess. Doubt we’re even in the conversation with guys like Kikau, Mahoney, Crichton, Oloapu and Xerri without him.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ciraldo gives me the impression of wanting to instill confidence in the players he has and as a result makes ridiculous statements about their ability BUT my bigger concern is that he is "blinkered" by pre conceived ideas and theories that work on paper but dont cut it in reality and is either unwilling, unable to accept he may be wrong in some areas.