Phil Gould advising Trent Barrett to Re consider deal with the dogs

Novocastrian

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good on Paul Crawley calling out Gus on 360. Poor advice to tell Barrett to back out of deal. If he couldn’t handle Manly and backed out of our deal because it looked tough he would never get another look in.
Hopefully with board meetings tonight and tomorrow night there will be change

SweetFA

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is my view on this as well.

A few blowing up on Gould and not thinking it through. He is telling it like it is.

Where is he lying?

They are having remedial meetings all this week at Ballesty's house. Confirmed by Bill D.

We may not like it, or agree that it be said publicly but its tearing the club apart so better to get it over with now.

How else do these issues of 2 opposing forces get resolved.

Put all personalities aside and hate for Gould. Dismissing what he says does not make this go away.

Think of the big picture and the future. Now it has been thrown out there, we will simply have to wait to see if it can now be resolved.
I motion for a seance & summons Machiavelli for consult & instruction moving forward.

Last edited:

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
And replace them with whom?
We all know the problem, reveal the solution .
Certainly cant see this resolve itself without the public exposure it now has.

The pressure is now on the club individuals to get their act together or clear out.

Replace with whom? Well if they cant fix this they'll have to stand down I guess and others step up.

I'm sure no one wanted it to get to this.

Up to all of them to fix it as they all created it.

SweetFA

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Certainly cant see this resolve itself without the public exposure it now has.

The pressure is now on the club individuals to get their act together or clear out.

Replace with whom? Well if they cant fix this they'll have to stand down I guess and others step up.

I'm sure no one wanted it to get to this.

Up to all of them to fix it as they all created it.
We find ourselves in this situation in the absence of good & strong leadership.
Funnily it was the Football Club Board that strategically appointed Coorey Leagues Club Chair. It cost him his relationship with his brother Arthur & effectively ended Peponis’ influence.
I believe this to be the sticking point in this Mexican Standoff. Coorey feels the Football Club Board should be grateful for him switching allegiances & now he needs his loyalty repaid for his support of the “Reform Ticket”

Right now the Club is in dire need of direction.
Would love the Club to utilise the skills, talents & experience of the likes of G McIntyre,P McMahon & A Isaac et al...

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Good on Paul Crawley calling out Gus on 360. Poor advice to tell Barrett to back out of deal. If he couldn’t handle Manly and backed out of our deal because it looked tough he would never get another look in.
Hopefully with board meetings tonight and tomorrow night there will be change
We find ourselves in this situation in the absence of good & strong leadership.
Funnily it was the Football Club Board that strategically appointed Coorey Leagues Club Chair. It cost him his relationship with his brother Arthur & effectively ended Peponis’ influence.
I believe this to be the sticking point in this Mexican Standoff. Coorey feels the Football Club Board should be grateful for him switching allegiances & now he needs his loyalty repaid for his support of the “Reform Ticket”

Right now the Club is in dire need of direction.
Would love the Club to utilise the skills, talents & experience of the likes of G McIntyre,P McMahon & A Isaac et al...
Anton is a good bloke.

SweetFA

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anton is a good bloke.
His acumen in the sporting/corporate world cannot be underestimated. He’s held in the highest regard in the soccer community in Oz & is regarded as a future CEO of the FFA. He also consults to the AFC, UEFA & FIFA.

Peter McMahon’s experience should also be utilised.

Pity Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
This club - the club we LOVE, is being ruined by many with self agendas. People who don’t want to put the club FIRST, on ALL sides!!

I have a very good friend, who was “once” in a position to perhaps help in a small way. He’s a Bulldog’s fan, and a guy who is extremely well respected in the big end of business. He had no agenda, just wanted to help the club he follows. He got the fk outta dodge. He said to me as long as the people running the club are there, this club will slowly crumble.

Flame me all you want, I know what I know, and I know we are a MESS that is moving in one direction, DOWN!!!

I hate Rothfield, but he isnt alone in what he knows, every journo knows we are up shit Creek. Keep believing in Unicorns for those who want to deny.

For the record, I’m not pro Dib, pro Anderson, or pro anything other than PRO BULLDOGS!! Give us our FKN club BACK!
Very well said sir, If ALL Bulldogs administrators, staff, members and fans adopted this philosophy we would not be in the mess we are currently in. Too many self serving people involved and they need to be marched sooner rather than later!

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
i advise the bulldogs to re consider the barrett deal

he finished 15th a couple of years ago and conceded 622pts

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
GOULD HAS MORE THAN 1 AGENDA BEHIND HIS COMMENTS

- He has an old axe to grind from when he got arsed as our coach & replaced by Chris Anderson

- He would prefer that Barrett stay and help Penrith be successful as he can see results in his work there this season.

- Most importantly - If Barrett becomes a head coach, he will have a big say with top quality youngsters from Penrith coming our way & eat into their depth of squad - for example - Burton, Staines etc.

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
GOULD HAS MORE THAN 1 AGENDA BEHIND HIS COMMENTS

- He has an old axe to grind from when he got arsed as our coach & replaced by Chris Anderson

- He would prefer that Barrett stay and help Penrith be successful as he can see results in his work there this season.

- Most importantly - If Barrett becomes a head coach, he will have a big say with top quality youngsters from Penrith coming our way & eat into their depth of squad - for example - Burton, Staines etc.
I reckon Gould's agenda's are more likely to be self-serving than focused on supporting Penrith, who sacked him. He's completely self absorbed, and just wants everyone to listen to his opinion so they can see how smart he is! The call for Barrett to back-out is just the outrageous hook he uses to build interest in his story. Just shock-jock tactics to get the focus onto himself IMO.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
You would think that those we have on the boards (Football and Leagues) would have some brains, If they did they would know that Gould is a hateful malicious vindictive human with an agenda, which is the opinion of some who have been associated with him. Perhaps some in the know could remind our board members of the fact, and the fact that he is out to do as much damage to our club as he possibly can.
Blinded by agendas and selfishness people seem to always forget that past will never catches to them !!!

eman & the Utai SLAM

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Are you fucking kidding me? That Red headed Fuckwit is the reason we have Barrett coming and not Shaun Wane or Griffin or Bellamy....

Gus’s ultimate revenge....
From what i hear he is a reasonable bloke and very clever footy wise. He genuinely says the Bulldogs are the biggest club in Sydney on his podcasts. What he’s saying now is the truth, the bulldogs management is a shit show.

BlackJackBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
How nice of Gould to undermine our club some more.
Wish he would stop thinking he is the unofficial CEO like some Prima Donna.
Webster says: I had concerns about Trent Barrett taking the job because even by his own admission he never handled the politics at Manly. The politics at Manly aren't on the same page as the politics at Canterbury. They've been going on forever."

Gould said the only viable option for the club was to remove the board and senior administrators for a fresh start. The alternative is to persevere and risk completely crippling the franchise.

"I don't know what the answer is but I know, I just know the answer is not persevering with the people that are there," Gould said.

"They've got to understand that it's hurting the club. If you are a player looking to go and play with a club, how high on the list is the Bulldogs? Which means the ones you get access to are going to be way down the list, you're going to pay a premium for it, it's going to eat up your salary cap very quickly again and you're going to be no more competitive than you are this year.

"I just can't see it working until they resolve that mess behind the scenes. It's all got to be disbanded and someone else has got to be given a go at it because what they promised hasn't been delivered. At the moment, this is the problem with the Bulldogs. It's the toxicity, internally, at these levels."
Gus just telling it like it is, same as if a Kenneller got up at a meeting to have their say about the club they used to respect and saw being downgraded to insignificance :(

Things must change and wont unless drastic action taken ...it cant heal and move on until that happens.
Anyone think it could be a bit of reverse psychology on Gould’s part? He is a clever man.
Could it be his way of forcing change at a great club he once and maybe still holds in his heart as he doesn’t want to slide down the shit chute.
At some point something needs to break off at board level to get back to some harmony in the joint.
We loose this incoming coach along with what he could bring we are fucked.
And as it stands already, no one wants to come near us, imagine if Barrett flips.
I think its a ploy/threat Gus is orchestrating to help to fix the board mess before next year.
Perhaps Goulds angle is ride in on a rival ticket to become our next CEO as a stepping stone to the NRL CEO position ala Greenberg. This is why he only took a "consultant" role at Saints and a small role at the Warriors...
Hows his relationship with the Laundys?

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I reckon Gould's agenda's are more likely to be self-serving than focused on supporting Penrith, who sacked him. He's completely self absorbed, and just wants everyone to listen to his opinion so they can see how smart he is! The call for Barrett to back-out is just the outrageous hook he uses to build interest in his story. Just shock-jock tactics to get the focus onto himself IMO.
I agree with this also, however a strong Penrith winning comps will justify what he can spruke as his hard work with his 5 year plan - that is now 8 years

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
From what i hear he is a reasonable bloke and very clever footy wise. He genuinely says the Bulldogs are the biggest club in Sydney on his podcasts. What he’s saying now is the truth, the bulldogs management is a shit show.
Gould is more than smart and has plenty of reach. He also happens to be a master manipulator and never says or does anything without a purpose to suit himself.