Peter Sterling will put the microphone down after 27 years as a commentator at seasons end.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Maybe he just wants to retire and play more golf? He's in his 60s now.
Yep you forget how long he has been around.61 and well off financially would have to be a multi, why fucking work??

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Yep you forget how long he has been around.61 and well off financially would have to be a multi, why fucking work??
For sure.

Unfortunately I had kids late, so will be 61 when my youngest finishes high school. No way I'm working past that - I've already given my business partner 17 years notice.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
He's a genuinely nice guy Sterlo. I never saw him play but recall seeing trading cards of him when I was in primary school.

Sure we go for different teams, but he's unbiased. One of the biggest brains of league the game has ever had!

1628548374516.png

1628548327830.png

1628548349465.png

1628548338808.png

N4TE

DogsRhavnaParty
Reaction score
Good commentator, no over the top BS like many of the others and has a good understanding of the game.

Surely fatty needs to either move on or be pushed out the door, he’s been on TV about 25 years too long.
I like when he is commenting a Manly or Origin game and they make a break and Fatty comes in over everyone with a Gow Gow Gow You Good Thing!!! Not much more can annoy me more than that..

James zac

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seems robbos hit finally got the better of him

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wouldn't say Sterling was an unbiased commentator... for example, he wrote a very Parramatta centric criticism of Michael Ennis for Fox Sports after Ennis' bust up with Hindmarsh about players standings in the game and how sledging is fine but there are rules and that Ennis isn't/shouldn't held in the same high regard as Hindmarsh etc... it was just petty rubbish to protect that shaggy dog sook

that said, I think he is actually a very good commentator... he has good insight into the game... he is clearly intelligent... he can be witty --> eg. during a Knights game I think, Ben Kennedy was coming off with an injury and Gus commented that "the Ben Kennedys are not meant long for this world" because Kennedy played so tough and Sterling responded "that must one hell of a cork then!"

importantly, he is better than pretty much every other ex-player they have brought to commentate --> Fatty, Steve Roach, Paul Harragon, Fittler, A. Johns etc.

LFC Bulldogs

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Dickheads like Galllen, Lockyer , Thaiday and Slater are the new guard…..pfft.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Dickheads like Galllen, Lockyer , Thaiday and Slater are the new guard…..pfft.
Lockyer's voice won't make it through a game, even swallowing butter menthols by the packet, or maybe he will get the throat surgery has been too afraid to have for 17 years.

Won't have to worry about Thaiday, he'll get lost finding the ground. I will always remember his best ever line on live TV, “It was a bit like losing your virginity.” "It wasn’t very nice but we got the job done.”

Always a Bulldog

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
He’s decided to fweeze it there.
The older among you will get that.
Good luck Sterlo - the only Eel I ever respected: quality player, good bloke, smart rugby league commentator and analyst and not a dickhead. Adios.

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I always felt sterlo was biased against Parra not for parra. It’s like he never wanted the golden years of parra in 80’s to be forgotten, which he was a part of.

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sterlo like any ex player is going to be slightly biased towards the club they played for but Sterlo tells it like it is and sounds more frustrated than biased when commentating Eels games and who could blame him.

Great halfback was Sterlo, not as good as good as Turvey but he’s commentary shows he’d be a better coach than most in the NRL.

Feel he’s thinking it’s now or never in getting back into the game as either a coach or as an assistant.

At least Sterlo doesn’t have any hair to pull out if he does coach.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Good fella, back in the day the debate was who was better, him or Turvey?
Hope he kicks back and has a little party.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
When ever I think of Sterlo back when he was playing two images always pop in my head. Confusing him with Paul Taylor when they both played in the same team and the other is vison of him on TV following behind the team bus and all his team mates driving his RX7. He was a bit of a rockstar back in the day.

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good fella, back in the day the debate was who was better, him or Turvey?
Hope he kicks back and has a little party.
Yes he's one of the most respected guys in the game from his playing days and commentary. Sterlo could read a game and had a great kicking game when he was playing in a great Eels squad in the early '80's under super coach Jack Gibson. His commentary of the game is also very insightful and I believe he'd make a great coach or assistant coach.

As for the debate of who was better, well I'm not being biased but it was NO contest in my opinion. Sterlo as mentioned played in a team of champions that gelled together in the early '80's. Always thought Brett Kenny had more influence on their games as while Sterlo had a great kicking game it was Kenny who did all the chasing and scoring. Kenny was fast, Sterlo wasn't. Kenny could tackle, Sterlo in defense came in as the 2nd or 3rd man more often than not.

Mortimer had electric speed, could chip and chase, regain the ball and score, did so on many occasions and was the best cover defender I've ever seen. Turvey also captained NSW on 3 occasions, ALL victories and was the first successful NSW Origin Captain in 1985. Sterlo captained NSW once in an exhibition match. I also remember Turvey having a match race against the St George half back speedster in Steve Morris over who was the quickest, Morris was lightning quick over a short distance and was to fast for Turvey back in the day but didn't have the all round brilliance as Turvey had.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
When ever I think of Sterlo back when he was playing two images always pop in my head. Confusing him with Paul Taylor when they both played in the same team and the other is vison of him on TV following behind the team bus and all his team mates driving his RX7. He was a bit of a rockstar back in the day.
also(and now maybe seems a bit lame i suppose) the yeah yeah "commercial" on the footy show all those years ago the out takes of that were also fuggen hilarious.
Good fella Sterlo, seems like a loyal bloke.