Peter Sterling can’t see Bulldogs, Broncos making NRL top 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

RUGBY league legend Peter Sterling believes NRL heavyweights Brisbane and Canterbury will miss the finals together for just the second time in 25 years.

Usually two of the most consistently performing teams, only the 1991 and 2010 playoffs have been devoid of both clubs since Brisbane’s introduction into the competition in 1988.

But Sterling hasn’t been won over by how either squad is shaping up heading into the 2017 season.

The Broncos have been dealt with one of the toughest starts to the season, facing each of last year’s top four in the opening month.

“I think they’ll be giving a head start,” Sterling told Triple M. “I don’t think they’ll make the eight this year.” With a number of departures over the off-season, Sterling believes the only way they will fire is if halves Anthony Milford and Ben Hunt are at their absolute best.

“I think that Corey Parker will be a big loss,” Sterling said. “That will see them rely on a lot of young forwards coming through - Pangai Junior, Jai Arrow - these kinds of players like Herman Ese’ese.”

NRL PREDICTED ROUND 1 TEAMS

Conversely, the Bulldogs haven’t missed the finals since Des Hasler arrived at the club in 2012, but Sterling is becoming weary of a stale attack. Canterbury were knocked out by Penrith in the opening week of last year’s finals series when they finished the season with four losses.

“I don’t think they’ll be playing finals football for the first time under Des Hasler,” Sterling said.

“I just think their style of play hasn’t improved in the last couple of years well enough to stay with some of the sides that have improved their style of play.

“I still think there’s a question mark in the combination between (Moses) Mbye and Josh Reynolds in the halves.”

Meanwhile, Sterling labelled Penrith as his favourites for the minor premiership while suggesting last year’s champions, Cronulla, could be left fighting for a spot at the bottom of the eight.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...8/news-story/1428a2ed35a3acbd6f60f414de945b85

Wow, everyone is writing us off. I would love nothing more than for the club to prove these experts wrong.

Boxer

THE BOSS
Reaction score
Get fucked sterlo your eels will cheat to make the 8 you flop.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
I can't see the sharks or broncs making it. Can see us either just scraping in or just missing out... and I can see Parramatta somehow finding a way to make another cock up of this season against all odds. So shut your pie hole Sterlo!

Interestingg

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
He said the same thing last year about the Storm, who ended up in the grand final. I don't mind Sterlo but his predictions are simply woeful

jasonsmith1994

Waterboy
Reaction score
CHANNEL NINE STAFF HATE THE BULLDOGS, BRAD FITTLER AND ANDREW JOHNS NEVER TIP THE BULLDOGS,AND THEY WILL BE QUICK TO MENTION THE SLOWNESS OF BULLDOGS ATTACK, I JUST HOPE SAM KASIANO DOESNT HAVE BIPOLAR THIS YEAR

Chicharito

DOGGIES ARMY!!!
Reaction score

RUGBY league legend Peter Sterling believes NRL heavyweights Brisbane and Canterbury will miss the finals together for just the second time in 25 years.

Usually two of the most consistently performing teams, only the 1991 and 2010 playoffs have been devoid of both clubs since Brisbane’s introduction into the competition in 1988.

But Sterling hasn’t been won over by how either squad is shaping up heading into the 2017 season.

The Broncos have been dealt with one of the toughest starts to the season, facing each of last year’s top four in the opening month.

“I think they’ll be giving a head start,” Sterling told Triple M. “I don’t think they’ll make the eight this year.” With a number of departures over the off-season, Sterling believes the only way they will fire is if halves Anthony Milford and Ben Hunt are at their absolute best.

“I think that Corey Parker will be a big loss,” Sterling said. “That will see them rely on a lot of young forwards coming through - Pangai Junior, Jai Arrow - these kinds of players like Herman Ese’ese.”

NRL PREDICTED ROUND 1 TEAMS

Conversely, the Bulldogs haven’t missed the finals since Des Hasler arrived at the club in 2012, but Sterling is becoming weary of a stale attack. Canterbury were knocked out by Penrith in the opening week of last year’s finals series when they finished the season with four losses.

“I don’t think they’ll be playing finals football for the first time under Des Hasler,” Sterling said.

“I just think their style of play hasn’t improved in the last couple of years well enough to stay with some of the sides that have improved their style of play.

“I still think there’s a question mark in the combination between (Moses) Mbye and Josh Reynolds in the halves.”

Meanwhile, Sterling labelled Penrith as his favourites for the minor premiership while suggesting last year’s champions, Cronulla, could be left fighting for a spot at the bottom of the eight.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...8/news-story/1428a2ed35a3acbd6f60f414de945b85

Wow, everyone is writing us off. I would love nothing more than for the club to prove these experts wrong.
Surely you can't be surprised? No improvements to the squad and I can't imagine any changes to the style of play would have been made due to Hasler being to stubborn to admit that he has gotten it wrong.

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
His entitled to his opinion

No massive improvements to squad- correct
Halves suck and no genuine hb- correct
Stale and boring attack - correct
Des is a stubborn ***** whom hasn't evolved - correct

I think he's pretty much on the money. Also sterlo is actually one of the first guys whom blasts parra when they fcuk up. He isn't one eyed what so ever in my opinion.

Mike_B

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Think he's pretty much spot on unfortunately. Hope they surprise us, the only thing the dogs seem to have in their favour is a fairly easy draw based on last years final standings.

yearofthedog

Kennel Established
Premium Member
Reaction score
CHANNEL NINE STAFF HATE THE BULLDOGS, BRAD FITTLER AND ANDREW JOHNS NEVER TIP THE BULLDOGS,AND THEY WILL BE QUICK TO MENTION THE SLOWNESS OF BULLDOGS ATTACK, I JUST HOPE SAM KASIANO DOESNT HAVE BIPOLAR THIS YEAR
alright alright, don't get angry

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
His entitled to his opinion

No massive improvements to squad- correct
Halves suck and no genuine hb- correct
Stale and boring attack - correct
Des is a stubborn ***** whom hasn't evolved - correct

I think he's pretty much on the money. Also sterlo is actually one of the first guys whom blasts parra when they fcuk up. He isn't one eyed what so ever in my opinion.
His comments were fine and much more level headed than some of the death riding i've read on here during the off season.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Pretty much what a lot have been saying.

Until we actually see what the team really has to offer this year and whether or not the younger brigade can make the step up to grade it is pretty hard to not agree with him.

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sterlo and all the other experts can say and think what they want
Regarding our club,
I would rather wait until Friday night and further into the season before
Making a call.
If we stay injury free and improve our attack,the team will be competitive
And win games.
Let's give them a chance.

stclair

Kennel Established
Reaction score
He said the same thing last year about the Storm, who ended up in the grand final. I don't mind Sterlo but his predictions are simply woeful
The 'experts' have written the storm off for years... Too old etc... No billy etc... Clamping down on wrestling etc... They are no more experts than many on here...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.