Perth 9s Discussion

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
The NRL had rule for the Auckland Nines were you had to send 1 of your top 5 players. I have no idea how they came up with a top 5 though. So you can’t send a squad full of juniors.
Do have a top 5?

More like an average 30..

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Given last season we had only one trial game and got off to a poor start after that, I don't see the 9's along with the two trial games this year as a bad thing.
As Jacko said at the Forum last month 'getting our pre-season minutes up is important for momentum leading into the season proper'.
So while the 9's ain't many minutes, it's better than what we had 12 months ago (barring serious injury).
A combo of some definite first grade starters and some of the younger fellas seems a reasonable way to go.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Given last season we had only one trial game and got off to a poor start after that, I don't see the 9's along with the two trial games this year as a bad thing.
As Jacko said at the Forum last month 'getting our pre-season minutes up is important for momentum leading into the season proper'.
So while the 9's ain't many minutes, it's better than what we had 12 months ago (barring serious injury).
A combo of some definite first grade starters and some of the younger fellas seems a reasonable way to go.
In my opinion getting as many NRL players as possible having big minutes in the trail games is the number one priority and the Nines a very distant second.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
In my opinion getting as many NRL players as possible having big minutes in the trail games is the number one priority and the Nines a very distant second.
You're probably right - I think we'll see more younger fellas in the 9's and maybe some fringe first graders and new recruits - maybe Britt or Stimson will get a run in Perth - though I'd reckon Stimson has to be starter for one or both trials.

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The NRL had rule for the Auckland Nines were you had to send 1 of your top 5 players. I have no idea how they came up with a top 5 though. So you can’t send a squad full of juniors.
The NRL have access to every players' contract.

I am guessing it would be based on $$$

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
The NRL have access to every players' contract.
I am guessing it would be based on $$$
No problem, we just send Foran, definitely one of the top 5.
Unfortunately he can't play, we thought he would be OK but the plain flight has set back his recovery (BTW where's our $350k?)

Go Dogs

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I love it, think it’s an exciting format just out from season proper start, let’s us get a good look at our speed etc, can’t wait..!!!

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
Nines and 2 x trials. I'm liking this February.

Delta

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Send Lachlan Lewis, lets see if the open pasture encourages him to run the ball.