Pay:The effort's fantastic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Canterbury coach Dean Pay has lamented another week in which his team created opportunities but came away empty-handed following a determined showing against ladder-leaders South Sydney at ANZ Stadium on Saturday.

The Bulldogs 24-6 loss featured a number of near misses: winger Reimis Smith went touch-in-goal twice trying to score; a slight knock-on in the lead-up denied Aiden Tolman at the Bunker; and Will Hopoate along with a few others were held up over the line.

"For the amount of effort the boys put in today, Souths took their opportunities and we missed out on ours," was Pay's assessment after the loss.

"I thought that was the difference in the game. We had a bit of run of the play, Jeremy [Marshall-King] got the ball knocked out of his hands, it [could have] gone back to 18-12 then.

"At the moment that's where we're at - we just can't take a trick at the moment - that's from last week and sort of rolled into this week. But I'm really proud of the boys, their effort, the way they keep turning up for one another, and their attitude towards the club and themselves and their fans, the members, they're trying their arses off for them.

"The effort's fantastic, we just can't nail our opportunities when they arise."

Pay praised a huge effort from prop David Klemmer backing up three days after Holden State of Origin III plus an inspirational knock from skipper Josh Jackson in his 150th NRL game as well as a hugely impressive showing at fullback from Hopoate.

"He was great Klem, he's got a bit of a knee issue as well... He loves his football and he wants to play, I think the's playing some great footy for us, I'm so happy he's in our club.

"I thought Hoppa was fantastic for us again. Jacko does it every week for us, you come to expect it from him. Sometimes you get used to him playing at the level he does and expect it but it's a tough thing to do each and every week and he does it every week for us with all the attitude and all the footy and everything that's in him, he does a fantastic job for us."

Hopoate was enjoying his football and relishing the chance to take over from departed No.1 Moses Mbye, Pay said.

"He's a footy player, Hop, he's enjoying his time at fullback and he's enjoying his training and he's turning up and enjoying everything he does with his footy and the boys are responding to him so he's creating some opportunities for us that's for sure."

Jackson reflected on his own milestone with mixed feelings.

"It's gone really quickly for me," Jackson said. "It's always a privilege and a great honour to wear this jersey each and every week and to do it 150 times at this great club is something I'll definitely look back at and remember."

https://www.bulldogs.com.au/news/2018/07/15/paythe-efforts-fantastic/

Hot Dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Can't argue with any of that. It hurts to lose but when you see effort it hurts just that little bit less. I did get the feeling yesterday that the Morris boys had already moved on. That hurt me the most. I understand it's a business and a job at the end of the day, but I would've thought that there would still be pride in the jersey, or in this case pride in doing your job.

bcmf

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don’t fucking care about effort. That’s the problem with this guy. You can not tolerate losing. It creates a atmosphere of losing. You want to pat the players on the back for trying hard? Mate this isn’t a fucking charity or under 7s. This is professional sport, and in professional sport winners are loved and paid with losers being fired.

Sick of this bloke. Seems so dumb and doesn’t know how to manage a team.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I thought putting effort in is to be expected from all players every week

Paulie Gualtieri

Previously Shrimp
Reaction score
Dean Pay’s coaching philosophy -

As long as your trying and have effort and try good really hard good kid lots of effort you work hard good effort Bulldogs DNA Adam Elliot try hard durp durp

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I don't care what he says in front of the media.

I don't expect him to come out and criticize players in public, that would just feed the media with more bs stories about unrest in Belmore.

But he needs to be addressing these things behind closed doors.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Dean Pay’s coaching philosophy -

As long as your trying and have effort and try good really hard good kid lots of effort you work hard good effort Bulldogs DNA Adam Elliot try hard durp durp
Yes sir.. this lol

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
I don’t fucking care about effort. That’s the problem with this guy. You can not tolerate losing. It creates a atmosphere of losing. You want to pat the players on the back for trying hard? Mate this isn’t a fucking charity or under 7s. This is professional sport, and in professional sport winners are loved and paid with losers being fired.

Sick of this bloke. Seems so dumb and doesn’t know how to manage a team.
how can he not tolerate losing at this point in his tenure with the team in a dismantling period?

if he drops players for lesser players then the team loses by more and that it is tolerating losing

if he goes on a rampage and attacks his players it will further deepen their mood and we will lose by more, once again that is tolerating losing

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't care what he says in front of the media.

I don't expect him to come out and criticize players in public, that would just feed the media with more bs stories about unrest in Belmore.

But he needs to be addressing these things behind closed doors.
That’s spot on mate
In front of those cameras he just has to put on a brace face and back all the players
But I’m sure that Pay and his coaching committee are not thrilled about certain members of our team,game execution and general effort
This isn’t fantasy land pretending it’s all good after so many losses

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
If you’re teams not good enough, all you can expect is that they try.
Attacking pay after that game, is expecting too much of him.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
What do you expect from someone that struggles with a task ? You ask that they do their best.. what do you do when you have to fill half your team with reserve grader's because almost 1/3 of the cap is playing for other teams..??? You try and keep the team from getting flogged by 50 every week (2008)...

I don't think to many people could have kept this team competing for so long.. I've half been expecting for the heads to drop and the players give up.. I seen a bit of that from the mozzies last night..

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Morris boys have thrown in the towel
It’s a bit disappointing but what can you do

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Can't argue with any of that. It hurts to lose but when you see effort it hurts just that little bit less. I did get the feeling yesterday that the Morris boys had already moved on. That hurt me the most. I understand it's a business and a job at the end of the day, but I would've thought that there would still be pride in the jersey, or in this case pride in doing your job.
I agree with you. The Morris boys yesterday were way off the pace and when Lewis put up some of those swirling bombs their lack of involvement in chasing through was evident. Hopoate is criticised often for his performance on field but by gee last night he was great. 290 metres run, 1 line break but the Morris boys sweet fa. Not a sign of giving up due to the way things have gone for us just that they did not care.

bcmf

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
how can he not tolerate losing at this point in his tenure with the team in a dismantling period?

if he drops players for lesser players then the team loses by more and that it is tolerating losing

if he goes on a rampage and attacks his players it will further deepen their mood and we will lose by more, once again that is tolerating losing
Mate, if it’s a dismantling period, he should be stricter. He needs enforce the fact that no one here is sacred. If you don’t wanna be here, fuck off. It’ll free up more cap space so we can get a stronger roster.

These players don’t need to be coddled. They need to be told the reality of the situation.. plain and simple.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
Mate, if it’s a dismantling period, he should be stricter. He needs enforce the fact that no one here is sacred. If you don’t wanna be here, fuck off. It’ll free up more cap space so we can get a stronger roster.

These players don’t need to be coddled. They need to be told the reality of the situation.. plain and simple.
he has enforced the fact that nobody here is sacred, exhibit A mbye, exhibit B woods

bcmf

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
he has enforced the fact that nobody here is sacred, exhibit A mbye, exhibit B woods
Yes. At this point, he should keep going and drive out those who don’t wanna be here. These are grown men earning decent coin. They don’t need to be coddled they need to shape up or fuck off.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
Yes. At this point, he should keep going and drive out those who don’t wanna be here. These are grown men earning decent coin. They don’t need to be coddled they need to shape up or fuck off.
thats why i said at this point in his tenure, aka mid season in his 1st year with no wiggle room to make signings or fuck people off

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks like the sack pay senario is gathering momentum and will soon be in overdrive, bloody hell give him till at lest half way in 2019.

Status
Not open for further replies.