P-plate Bulldogs star drink-drive appeal

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Bandit

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
P-plate Bulldogs star drink-drive appeal
July 12, 2007 - 3:37PM

Bulldogs rugby league player Ben Roberts has been stripped of his driver's licence for three months after being convicted of drink driving by a Sydney court.

However, the 22-year-old halfback immediately launched an appeal against the severity of the sentence.

In Sutherland Local Court today, Roberts pleaded guilty to driving with a blood alcohol level of 0.03 when his P-plate licence requires that he have no alcohol in his system.

He also entered guilty pleas to charges of driving an unregistered vehicle, driving an uninsured vehicle and for not displaying his P-plates.

After drinking the previous night, Roberts was pulled over by police on June 17 in Bellingara Road, Miranda, in Sydney's south.

The following day, he issued a statement apologising for his actions.

"I wouldn't have driven the next morning if I'd known I still had alcohol in my system," he said at the time.

"I've learnt a valuable lesson the hard way and I apologise to the club, the coach, the team, the sponsors and the fans for my actions.

"I've learnt I have to take responsibility for my own actions and have given the club a commitment I'll do that."

Magistrate Kevin Maughan also ordered Roberts to pay fines and court costs totalling more than $1,200.

Roberts immediately lodged appeals against the severity of the penalty on all charges except the offence of not displaying his P-plates.

He will next appear in court on September 27.

Comment is being sought from the club.

D

DogMick

It is a bit harsh that he is done for having a few drinks the night before. It is obviouse that he wasn't drinking that day. But I guess if you drive you nshould be very carful

houndmeister

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thats weak. Take it on the chin ben. Remember you were in an unregistered vehicle aswell. What if you had hit an injured someone you would be up for lots more than $1200 not to mention in jail

D

DogMick

Thats weak. Take it on the chin ben. Remember you were in an unregistered vehicle aswell. What if you had hit an injured someone you would be up for lots more than $1200 not to mention in jail
Thats a good point. But in saying it wasn't registerred do they mean he had the sticker but hadn't put it on the window yet?

I would like to know more of the story. But I agree that he shoulkd most certainly not get off scot free

Disposable Hero

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I still dont understand why someone who obviuosly earns a decent pay packet is driving in an unregistered vihecle?

i seriously dont get it

Disposable Hero

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thats a good point. But in saying it wasn't registerred do they mean he had the sticker but hadn't put it on the window yet?

I would like to know more of the story. But I agree that he shoulkd most certainly not get off scot free
if he had ths sticker but not put it on the car is still registered its registered onvce youpay the RTA not when you put the sticker on

BaYry Ward

Former Immortal
Reaction score
"He also entered guilty pleas to charges of driving an unregistered vehicle, driving an uninsured vehicle and for not displaying his P-plates."

"I've learnt I have to take responsibility for my own actions and have given the club a commitment I'll do that."

Yet he appeals the sentence.......

Just take the little 3 month ban on the chin ffs you've got 20 blokes who will drive you around. I'm sure the Dogs have created a special carpool for all the players with banned licenses due to drink driving.

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
Hasnt he served already a few months, so dont they get deducted?

H

Haztrick

I feel sorry for Ben.

He did the right thing by sleeping and driving the next day. He blew a reading that you would get after 1 schooner.

Good on ya for trying to do the right thing Ben ;) Go out there on Saturday night and channel all your anger from this onto the field!

Bushwhaked

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I still dont understand why someone who obviuosly earns a decent pay packet is driving in an unregistered vihecle?

i seriously dont get it
Pretty sure it was his friends car - I remember an article where he said that a while ago.

KENNY-DOWALL

The Kiwi Xpress
Reaction score
I feel sorry for Ben.

He did the right thing by sleeping and driving the next day. He blew a reading that you would get after 1 schooner.

Good on ya for trying to do the right thing Ben ;) Go out there on Saturday night and channel all your anger from this onto the field!
Still doesn't matter he was a P Plater and he himself should know he cannot have any alcohol in the system while driving.

I wonder how some of these Nrl Players have licences and they themselves don't know what the limit is to drive with alcohol in the system.

H

Haztrick

Still doesn't matter he was a P Plater and he himself should know he cannot have any alcohol in the system while driving.

I wonder how some of these Nrl Players have licences and they themselves don't know what the limit is to drive with alcohol in the system.
How was he to know that the next day he would still have a little bit in him? Can you tell when you have alcohol in your system? I doubt it.

KENNY-DOWALL

The Kiwi Xpress
Reaction score
How was he to know that the next day he would still have a little bit in him? Can you tell when you have alcohol in your system? I doubt it.
Im sure he has enough money to afford his own personal breathalyser.

Im not worried about what u said he should already know as a driver on when he did get his licence to not have any alcohol in the system.

D

DogMick

if he had ths sticker but not put it on the car is still registered its registered onvce youpay the RTA not when you put the sticker on
No thats not true mate. Although normally you can get away with it. If the sticker is not on the car it is considered as not being registerred

D

DogMick

Im sure he has enough money to afford his own personal breathalyser.

Im not worried about what u said he should already know as a driver on when he did get his licence to not have any alcohol in the system.
If you have a big night I really doubt that anyoner would be thinking they would be stil over the next day. Of course thats depending on how much was drunk.

Also there are cases like this when somebody has medicine and it can put them over. Have you everr had a big night then driven the next day?

KaTe Maari

player agent
Reaction score
no excuse allowed. although he didnt ran away lol.
the club should fine him as well. just to show the discipline as a team.

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
A suspended fine and suspension is enuf, i dont think he deserves anything more than that

TCB-BD

CBBD FTW!
Reaction score
I think he has done a crime, he has to do the time and learn from it in the future... and by that I mean he needs to accept he was still over the limit the morning after... I know it's harsh but it's why when I was on my P's I didn't drink at all, unless I was driving 2 days afterwards... 0.00 means nothing, and as much as you hate to not have a drink, it's the best way to ensure you don't get caught.

As for the unregistered sticker, I don't think he should be charged with that, from reports coming out today, that was one of the team cars that wasn't registered, and which he borrowed lawfully.. so how was he to know whether it was registered or not... I mean I know I don't check every car I go into to make sure it is registered correctly, I might have to from now on.... ;)

But yeah, he did do a crime, and he will have to do the fine, but I wish Benny all the best none the less in his appeal.

TCB-BD

CBBD FTW!
Reaction score
Source: http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,22062750-5001021,00.html
Drink-driving Bulldog's road ban
Article from: The Daily Telegraph
By Evelyn Yamine
July 13, 2007 12:00am

A NIGHT out on the town with mates has cost a Bulldogs rugby league player his licence after he was caught drink-driving while on his P-plates.

Ben Roberts, 22, was disqualified from driving for three months and fined $950 after police pulled him over in Miranda the morning after he was drinking with friends.

Sutherland Local Court heard that police noticed the car Roberts was driving on June 17 was unregistered and when they did a random breath test Roberts registered an alcohol reading of 0.03 at 9.45am.

P-platers are not allowed to drive with any alcohol in their system and police said Roberts appeared to be "slightly affected" by alcohol.

Barrister Nancy Mikhaiel yesterday said Roberts had been eligible for his unrestricted licence but was too busy with Bulldogs Club commitments to apply for it.

Roberts yesterday pleaded guilty to special range drink driving, not displaying his P-plates and for driving an unregistered and uninsured vehicle.

The court heard he borrowed a club member's car, which was provided by a sponsor, to drive home and did not notice the expired registration.

Roberts lodged appeals against the severity of the penalty. He will next appear in court on September 27.

..shurrup..

Kennel Established
Reaction score
this is harsh because he was meaning to do the right thing....the unregistered vehicle definitely isnt his fault....i think if the 3 month suspended license if only gonna affect himself...how he gets around then its alright....however it might affect his family so maybe its a good thing he appeals

Status
Not open for further replies.