Our wingers are crap

Status
Not open for further replies.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
This bloke hates lafai and has a hard on for reynolds, that he cant see the fact he is the issue. Reynolds puts so much pressure on his outside men in defence with his poor reads.
If your referring to me, I do not have a "hard on" for Reynolds. However I do admire his work ethic. He plays in the guts and is always going. He does more work than most backs do and accordingly will make more mistakes. However, the love child in number 4 continually gets in the wrong position and other teams are now attacking his side of the field. He is seen as the weakest link.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
If your referring to me, I do not have a "hard on" for Reynolds. However I do admire his work ethic. He plays in the guts and is always going. He does more work than most backs do and accordingly will make more mistakes. However, the love child in number 4 continually gets in the wrong position and other teams are now attacking his side of the field. He is seen as the weakest link.
Reynolds is the target, he is the weakest link. How can you not see that? He has always been the issue on our right side in defence. For years people blamed other players and overlooked Reynolds errors because everyone loves him on here.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Teams have been attacking that side constantly long before Lafai played there. It's actually a lot stronger this season than the 80% of tries that were put on us here last season.

playon

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Crap or not? we can sit here and debate all day Slowest wingers in the competition we can't, this side clearly lacks pace something that will hurt us later on in the competition.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Bloke (Thompson) has one average game in his (only 5-6 week old) NRL career, and armchair coaches want him gone... puhlease!!

If it wasn't for Turners destroyed knees, he would still be on the wing, and nobody complained much about him.

Thompson is a younger version of Turner, without the goal kicking ability.

Short, light on his feet, and strong as an ox. Not to mention I believe he's one of our top try scorers at the moment I believe.

As for wanting Inu in .... please go and watch his defensive efforts in NSW Cup. He does pissweak desperate GRABS for the jersey. OH and we are the best defensive side in the comp. Notice how when Inu was injured, the massive defensive hole that appeared every week on his wing disappeared as well?

People want Inu because of what he did last year, not because of him playing in form. This is why Haslers our coach, not armchair critics.

Reynolds won't be playing next week - suspended for almost dislocating Idris's arm from its socket with a chicken wing.

Vatuei was back in the defensive line and in field. He had 10m on Thompson. Also Manu's no slouch.
Reynolds will play u muppet, his got 75 points which ain't enough for one week!!! And he will bomb the f@$ out of Thompson!!!

Tegga

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Reynolds will play u muppet, his got 75 points which ain't enough for one week!!! And he will bomb the f@$ out of Thompson!!!
goodwin and merrit are their wingers, even with brown out there i think we have the better wingers pairing lol

berriesfan

Waterboy
Reaction score
I have now seen Thompson play the first six rounds in first grade. Not sure what to make of the young man. He should have scored in the corner early in the first half but didn't get there. I remarked to a friend of mine that I thought a really good finisher (eg Perrett or Hazem) would have got there easily with a bit better footwork.

However, it is clear that the young bloke struggles under the high ball with any pressure on him. Whether its off a cross-kick or bomb doesn't really make much difference. The end result has not been of first grade standard on a number of occassions.

Manu if a foot taller than him but the ease with which he was able to cause havoc is a real concern. He made David Simmons (who can't crack first grade at the moment for the Panthers) look like a SOO winger in that game against the Panthers.

Its our most obvious weak link. We were fortunate that in the Roosters game Tupou was marking up on the other side of the field, otherwise, that could have been a real concern.

I am not writing the kid off but I have to say, its really heart in the mouth type stuff when a bomb/kick goes up to his wing.

By the same token, I am not sure Brown has great ability in the air either. He's an honest toiler with reasonable defence. But he's more in the mould of your solid winger than your brilliant one. He should have taken that Hodkinson pass about halfway through the second half and streaked away down the sideline. I was filthy when he lazily stuck out his right hand while looking at where the defence was coming from. He really should have done better there.

I have great faith in our forwards. Our halves are playing out of their skin. Our Centres are strong and Sam Perrett is getting better and better at the back. Our bench is probably the best in the comp. I still feel our wingers are our weak link. Ennis being prone to a brain explosion is also an issue. Other than that, happy days.:D
David Simmons is injured at the moment.

berriesfan

Waterboy
Reaction score
Some good points but a couple of points you should take note of:

- Simmons is the Panthers best winger by a good margin.

- Simmons scored 19 tries last season in a team that got thrashed most games.

- The only thing keeping Simmons out of first grade is that he's injured.

- Thompson didn't get owned by Simmons. Simmons scored one on Thompson because he outjumped Thompson. He still managed to tackle Simmons in the air and it was only some acrobatic work that got Simmons to the ground. The second try Thompson stopped Simmons who offloaded. Can't fault a player for not being able to tackle 2 players at a time. The 3rd try attempt Thompson had one of the try saving tackles of the year.

I'll admit that Thompson has his issues, his primary one being his height. But if we're going to talk about his faults we probably shouldn't exaggerate and falsify information.
Well said

immortalbulldog

Eternal Doggy
Reaction score
How long is Stanley out for?
By the end of the game Thompson wasn't even opposing the bombs. Merritt would have a field day.

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
How long is Stanley out for?
By the end of the game Thompson wasn't even opposing the bombs. Merritt would have a field day.
Thompson is far more tankier looking than Merritt to be honest, I wouldn't be worried nor doubting Thompsons athletic ability against an ageing old bunny haha.

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Some good points but a couple of points you should take note of:

- Simmons is the Panthers best winger by a good margin.

- Simmons scored 19 tries last season in a team that got thrashed most games.

- The only thing keeping Simmons out of first grade is that he's injured.

- Thompson didn't get owned by Simmons. Simmons scored one on Thompson because he outjumped Thompson. He still managed to tackle Simmons in the air and it was only some acrobatic work that got Simmons to the ground. The second try Thompson stopped Simmons who offloaded. Can't fault a player for not being able to tackle 2 players at a time. The 3rd try attempt Thompson had one of the try saving tackles of the year.

I'll admit that Thompson has his issues, his primary one being his height. But if we're going to talk about his faults we probably shouldn't exaggerate and falsify information.
Lol Simmons best winger at penrith!!!!! Are you on drugs or just having a go??? Who on the kennel would want Simmons or josh mansour???

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Lol Simmons best winger at penrith!!!!! Are you on drugs or just having a go??? Who on the kennel would want Simmons or josh mansour???
Mansour is good when he holds the ball. In the last 2 games coming back from injury he's made 2 line breaks, 1 try and 7 errors. If you're worried about strength under the high ball he's not exactly the best player.

Interestingg

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
^ yeah calling Simmons the "best winger by a good margin" seems a bit off. He can't really create anything for himself, steady at best. I'd certainly take Mansour ahead of him. Even James Roberts last year out-performed him

billybob

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yh his so shit, he cant even score trys.....
The fact he is south's leading try scorer says more about the quality of souths playing rooster for the last 40 years than it does about merritt's abilities.

vietorious

pho-lawless
Reaction score
Pretty harsh critics out there. Yes, we dont have a star winger (say like Waqa or Brett Morris) but they do the job well. It seems like everyone wants our winger to be as tall as Daniel Tupou with the strength of Inglis, the speed to Koroibete and scores as many tries as Radradra.

We cant expect to have an international or star player in every position. Brown defensively is solid, doesnt let in as many tries as everyone thinks he does. Thompson isnt the tallest winger, but has shown he can hold his own nearly stopping Simmons when he got out jumped by a freak. Not sure how many wingers can defuse bombs successfully with David Simmons jumping all over you who is one of the better wingers under the high ball.

Wingers are usually the scape goats when a try is scored in on their side. If the 5/8 rushes up and in, the centre and winger has to follow. Regardless of who is on the wing, they are blamed if someone scores on their wing. Last year, Reynolds/T Rex and whoever else defending out there missed a tackle making our centre and wingers rush in to try and stop the play. Yet Brown seems to cop so much criticism.

Best defence in the competition. I wonder if all the other clubs are blasting their players for letting in tries.

Status
Not open for further replies.