Our recent power bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
So this is the recent power bill we got in the mail today, surely this is way too much especially for a power bill?

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
So this is the recent power bill we got in the mail today, surely this is way too much especially for a power bill?
tbh oz, without knowing your power usage ? it does seem abit steep to me. Take my advise my friend compare your recent bill to your previous bills. For future reference everyone can save 20-30% just by turning everything of at the power outlet. By leaving things plugged in e.g electric kettle the kettle continues to draw power even though it is not being used. This can be said about most electric appliances. DO NOT leave anything on standby mode what ever it is !!! TV's, stereos, DVD players ect.....

Fidges unfortunately must remain plugged in on at all times unless they are not being used. Though guys you can save power here too just by keeping your fridges fully stocked (full). An empty fridge must work twice as hard to keep its required temperature as there is more empty space per volume. Simple !!!

Nikola Tesla the father of AC power wanted the world to have free energy, Capitalism put a price tag on it !!!

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
tbh oz, without knowing your power usage ? it does seem abit steep to me. Take my advise my friend compare your recent bill to your previous bills. For future reference everyone can save 20-30% just by turning everything of at the power outlet. By leaving things plugged in e.g electric kettle the kettle continues to draw power even though it is not being used. This can be said about most electric appliances. DO NOT leave anything on standby mode what ever it is !!! TV's, stereos, DVD players ect.....

Fidges unfortunately must remain plugged in on at all times unless they are not being used. Though guys you can save power here too just by keeping your fridges fully stocked (full). An empty fridge must work twice as hard to keep its required temperature as there is more empty space per volume. Simple !!!

Nikola Tesla the father of AC power wanted the world to have free energy, Capitalism put a price tag on it !!!
We are not that stupid, my dad make sure everything is off and this is a bit of a slap on the face to us we weren't really expecting to get a power bill over $1k before the rebates. and the rebates itself is a joke, a dismal $48 off your $1k bill?

We compared our recent power bills and from 12 months ago we were paying just under $550 for the power bill and some how they have been creeping up to this amount.

Again this doesnt seem right.

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
No discounts + we are with Integral Energy/Origin

@nchorman

Channel 4 News!
Reaction score
No discounts + we are with Integral Energy/Origin
call them up (origin) say that you are getting a 16% discount off your total bill from tru energy. and tell them that they have to beat it otherwise you are leaving. The customer retention centre will try to keep you. plus AGL is one of the worst people to go to, they have a higher rate than the regulated rates available. So its best to call them up and ask for a discount off your TOTAL bill. remember...not your usage, but your total.

The-Game

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wasn't there some thing recently that said Electricity was going up $120 or something. We usually hover round high $400's mid $500's but got a high one like that. turned out they overcharged us. We're looking into solar panels.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We are not that stupid, my dad make sure everything is off and this is a bit of a slap on the face to us we weren't really expecting to get a power bill over $1k before the rebates. and the rebates itself is a joke, a dismal $48 off your $1k bill?

We compared our recent power bills and from 12 months ago we were paying just under $550 for the power bill and some how they have been creeping up to this amount.

Again this doesnt seem right.
No one is calling you stupid oz far from it !!! If your father is doing all of the above great. Have you compared the meter reading on your bill to the actual reading on your meter? Meter readers are prone to taking short cuts by saying that they are known to take readings of a couple of properties in any given street and estimate the power usage for the rest of the street by the readings they have taken. This is a well known practise in the water industry and it wouldn't surprise me if the same flaws are practised in the power industry as well.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Indoor wood fires in those glass box things will be the new boom trend.

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
https://www.onebigswitch.com.au/?gclid=CJ-C1J2E57ECFVBapgodXj4ABw

go onto that site, they give you the best deals in your area
Thanks for that

No one is calling you stupid oz far from it !!! If your father is doing all of the above great. Have you compared the meter reading on your bill to the actual reading on your meter? Meter readers are prone to taking short cuts by saying that they are known to take readings of a couple of properties in any given street and estimate the power usage for the rest of the street by the readings they have taken. This is a well known practise in the water industry and it wouldn't surprise me if the same flaws are practised in the power industry as well.
We make sure we right down the meter reading before they do and when we get the bill, we compare if they make any mistakes and we dont really worry if its a little bit more or less.

We checked and what we had is a little bit more than what they charged us but still, it doesnt really add up on how they can charge so much

chadiwrx

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I'll be questioning them, why the fark it took them four weeks from issue date before you received it?

Trendsetter

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
call them up (origin) say that you are getting a 16% discount off your total bill from tru energy. and tell them that they have to beat it otherwise you are leaving. The customer retention centre will try to keep you. plus AGL is one of the worst people to go to, they have a higher rate than the regulated rates available. So its best to call them up and ask for a discount off your TOTAL bill. remember...not your usage, but your total.
There's plenty of catches with all of these companies who offer discounts, it's usually something along the lines of, 8% if you pay your bill on time, and another 8% if you sign a 3year contract. (in which case, some companies pay for your disconnection fee from the other company your with. Some don't.)

Also, these companies who offer higher discounts percentages, also have a higher rate for something that I can't recall exactly, but I think it's some additional usage fee they all add on and hope people don't notice on their bills.

I worked for Energy Aus a fair few years ago and managed to learn how they suck customers in by trying to avoid telling them all the catches that come with these great discounts.

Btw, their usual cooling off period once you sign with a company is all BS, you don't receive your first bill till way after the cooling off period is over, so it really makes it useless since by the time you have the chance to compare your bills, your already stuck in a contract.

Trendsetter

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Just to add, check your bills to see if they've come out to read the meter or if it's an estimation. Most times it's an estimation and there's a fair chance that it could be incorrect since it'd just be an average of your previous few bills.

Status
Not open for further replies.