Our Kicking Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

hazem_4_lyf

Waterboy
Reaction score
I know Hodkinson isn't the most creative half in the NRL and we aren't having the greatest start to the year, but what is up with our last tackle options. I don't know how many times (it would be 5+) that they either ran/passed the ball on last tackle in the Manly game. I don't know if we put one grubber/attacking bomb up in the whole game. At first I thought Hodkinson might have some leg trouble that makes him not want to kick, but he was still taking conversations and put in a few longer range kicks, plus that doesn't answer why Mbye wouldn't have at least tried. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Is it one of Des' mystery ploys? Surely it can't just be down to our halves not opting to kick that many times. I have noticed it in the previous two games as well, but Friday's game was at a whole other level.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
If you watched yesterdays game its not rocket science adam reynolds rolls it behind opp defence potentially getting a try if not a drop out

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Our kicking game has been our weakness since 2005 to be honest. Sherwin and Anasta were brilliant together as Sherwin had the finesse and Anasta had the power.

Since that time though our kicking game has consisted of "Big Chick Kicks".

hazem_4_lyf

Waterboy
Reaction score
My point isn't what should they do - we all know what needs to be done - it's why aren't they. As much as people hate to admit it, Hodkinson is a smart player. Granted, he is very much out of form and isn't the most creative player, but both he, Des and Mbye know what needs to be done on the last tackle. I'm trying to get some sense for what is going on out there. We see players run the ball, or put bad kicks in, but the kicking game (or lack thereof) on Friday night was mind boggling. Anytime Hodkinson touched the ball on last tackle he either took the tackle or passed it off. I can't make any sense of it.

2nd phase play

Kennel Established
Reaction score
If you watched yesterdays game its not rocket science adam reynolds rolls it behind opp defence potentially getting a try if not a drop out
Exactly!
3 advantages
-Try
-repeat sets
-Tires the opposition out in repeat sets....
They are professionals they should be able to grub it into the in goal or at least 5m out!

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Welcome to the kennel habib!

Caveman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
only things i can think of:

1) Less broken play returns means less chance of the opposition getting a piggy back up the field
2) hand over inside opp ten meter line means less chance of the opposition getting a piggy back up the field
3) running on the fifth more often means opposition defences will have to readjust there normal 4th - 5th defensive line and possibly create confusion as the game goes on
4) more tackles made (by us) in the opposition 20 zone puts us on the front foot defensively and can make opp teams feel like they are forever coming of there own line - causing frustration and recklessness

not saying i agree with or enjoy watching this style of play however if the bigger picture is to disrupt the oppositions game plan its one of the better ways to do it (unless you can guarantee your gonna get a repeat set or try 90% of the time with a super accurate kicking game)

Ket

Waterboy
Reaction score
It could be Dessies strategy. Running on the last inside the Manly 10m forces them to start their set inside the goal. It's all about winning the field position. If we were to grubber (and it goes out) or bomb (and is caught in goals), its a 20m restart with a 7 tackle count in the set.

Boldslug

Waterboy
Reaction score
Combine running on the 5th with kicking to wingers, it takes the impact of the opposing fullbacks out of the equation. I think one of the ch: 9 commentators (Ray Warren?) said this in the game against Parramatta.

N

Natboy

I noticed the dragons keep putting kicks out wide to Nabuli. When it hasn't worked it's come awfully close.
The dragons suck but the tactic will work a lot and with Rona being a big unit it will be definite improvement on some of our clueless and panicked 5th play options

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Going by other posts, there are valid reasons apart from Hodko having recent surgery

Round 1: Slow out of the blocks, its to be expected in the heat for such a 'big' team and after a long preseason

Round 2: Sympathy for the Eels & Reynolds missing

Round 3: Sandy & windy Brooky Beach Oval

N

Natboy

Going by other posts, there are valid reasons apart from Hodko having recent surgery

Round 1: Slow out of the blocks, its to be expected in the heat for such a 'big' team and after a long preseason

Round 2: Sympathy for the Eels & Reynolds missing

Round 3: Sandy & windy Brooky Beach Oval
What will the round 4 excuse be? High pollen levels in the air? lol

hazem_4_lyf

Waterboy
Reaction score
only things i can think of:

1) Less broken play returns means less chance of the opposition getting a piggy back up the field
2) hand over inside opp ten meter line means less chance of the opposition getting a piggy back up the field
3) running on the fifth more often means opposition defences will have to readjust there normal 4th - 5th defensive line and possibly create confusion as the game goes on
4) more tackles made (by us) in the opposition 20 zone puts us on the front foot defensively and can make opp teams feel like they are forever coming of there own line - causing frustration and recklessness

not saying i agree with or enjoy watching this style of play however if the bigger picture is to disrupt the oppositions game plan its one of the better ways to do it (unless you can guarantee your gonna get a repeat set or try 90% of the time with a super accurate kicking game)
It being a part of the game plan is the only logical thing I can think of. I agree with the points you make, however opposition are still getting solid metres out of their own 10, so it doesn't seem to be working particularly well, if that is the plan. We need to utilise Rona's height and Morris' speed a lot more close to the line.

doggi3s

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Just picture a JT or cooper cronk running our team we would be lethal.
Our only thing that's missing is our creativity And kicking game.
We can't always rely on defence to win games we also need to start scoring more points !

Lex

Waterboy
Reaction score
It could be Dessies strategy. Running on the last inside the Manly 10m forces them to start their set inside the goal. It's all about winning the field position. If we were to grubber (and it goes out) or bomb (and is caught in goals), its a 20m restart with a 7 tackle count in the set.
This. I think the stats from 2014 showed that 14% of 7 tackle restarts ended in a try, and a very large % resulted in a repeat set, and most resulted in an attacking kick. I'm not saying I like it, but our whole game plan seems to centre on minimising risk.

GRKDOG

Kennel Established
Reaction score
My point isn't what should they do - we all know what needs to be done - it's why aren't they. As much as people hate to admit it, Hodkinson is a smart player. Granted, he is very much out of form and isn't the most creative player, but both he, Des and Mbye know what needs to be done on the last tackle. I'm trying to get some sense for what is going on out there. We see players run the ball, or put bad kicks in, but the kicking game (or lack thereof) on Friday night was mind boggling. Anytime Hodkinson touched the ball on last tackle he either took the tackle or passed it off. I can't make any sense of it.
I know his kicking game isnt the best as it is, but Friday night the ground was awful, maybe the reason for not kicking as much on the last was the chance that it wouldn't bounce as it should or the fact that trying to jump for a bomb could have been risky for the players. Last thing we would want is the ball to bounce the wrong way off a grubber and go straight to the hand of a manly player they make a break and we are back peddling trying to defend a counter attack? Or maybe the risk or injury trying to jump/get to a kick? Maybe im just making up excuses? We all saw what happened to Bmoz when he was chasing that ball in goal

Status
Not open for further replies.