Our exit strategy.......tackles 1,2,& 3.......

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Was good when avo spread it wide and went to Jac who made a break and then passed it to avo who ended up losing it At the halfway mark But it was a positive play on tackle 1 and caught the opposition by surprise. I’d like to see more of this sort of play. I fucking hate JMK passing it 2m of the ruck only for that person to be tackled by the markers. Fuck this so called hooker off to the dolphins already.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I miss those Matt Utai runs to get our sets rolling after we receive a kick. Man he used to put us on the front foot consistently and provided our forwards a good platform to roll up the field.
We could really use To'o

Dogs Of War

On the Warpath
Reaction score
Was good when avo spread it wide and went to Jac who made a break and then passed it to avo who ended up losing it At the halfway mark But it was a positive play on tackle 1 and caught the opposition by surprise. I’d like to see more of this sort of play. I fucking hate JMK passing it 2m of the ruck only for that person to be tackled by the markers. Fuck this so called hooker off to the dolphins already.
One of the things the dogs should be doing at times is spreading it wide early. That will stop the defence stacking the first receiver each side. Which will make early runs a little better.

The Dominator

Kennel Established
Reaction score
This is absolutely correct. Our exit strategy is ridiculous and we just keep doing the same failed things every week. There are many other equally stupid things we do for example, tap restarts involve 2 long passes before moving forwards just like under 8s. Dumbest team on the planet

Bluebody

The Strategist
Reaction score
A large percentage of our play revolves around exiting our own 20 metre zone, either from a kick or even a set play. I know that many teams use their wings and fullback/centres to take up the first one or two tackles (particularly for a kick return) to allow the forwards to get back or even a quick breather. Unfortunately in our case you often see Kiraz with the first run and the the Fox with the next............but if you watch closely you will see that the Fox is physically manhandled and often driven back. Clearly the Fox is trying to inject some speed and energy into the line, but it just does not work......he is better staying on his wing and trying to use his speed to get outside the defence. Use the like of the centres...Schoupp and whoever to take on the defensive line more. We are simply wasting 1 or 2 tackles every set by going the way we have and are lucky if we make it to "our" 40 metre line before we need to use the long kick from Burton.....sometimes it works well, but mostly we just give the ball back.... The Fox is too keen to inspire, but only succeeds in stifling our efforts to get away for our line. Your thoughts........
I agree - for some reason Fox is in the habit of taking big strides and side stepping without speed and it is not working and he is not adjusting to just running fast, hard hard with a low centre of gravity like Schoup tends to do.

Surely we have fast and hard running that can be added to our attitude for the runs coming off our line. It is costing us and placing us on the back foot with territory

The other issue I noticed in the first half was Panthers were running, hitting the ground and being allowed to play the ball super quick. In the 2nd half I noticed we slowed down their speed by more wrestle and getting them on their back. That allowed us to also compete so much more.

I sense Potter is seeing what is going on and tweaking a lot of things that will hopefully all reach some tipping point, maybe even this year.

The annoying thing is our forwards - they defend well overall but they are not running hard and fast - the service out of dummy half is generally not helpful with this either.

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fox needs to get rid of his hop skip and jump when hitting the line. He loses power in his legs which is why he is getting driven back

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Fox needs to get rid of his hop skip and jump when hitting the line. He loses power in his legs which is why he is getting driven back
I can't remember him doing that at the Storm.

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can't remember him doing that at the Storm.
Neither can i!!!

On one of his first hit ups he didn't do it and i thought, he has realised what he was doing but then every other run after that he brings out the kangaroo hop. Wtf!!!

GreenTurd

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
One of the things the dogs should be doing at times is spreading it wide early. That will stop the defence stacking the first receiver each side. Which will make early runs a little better.
That’s 1 of many problems, there was a few times last night and previous games we had 4 on 3 out wide and low and behold flanno dumps it to a forward instead of sending it wide. He does it many times every game.

Disposable Hero

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unfortunately, ecery team know JMK is only able to pass 1 man of the ruck. They will always know where to defend.

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
need quicker play the balls, the defense is set by the time they’ve gotten up. get to ground quick, get up quick… penalty if the defense stops you, watch to’o and may, they run hard and go down quick, they dont get held up in the tackle and then dropped down and then laid on. need to catch the defense off guard
Correct. Knowing when and how to submit in the tackle with the idea of a quick PTB is not something we are good at.

Conversely, we are also shit at stopping it when the opposition does it against us.

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is absolutely correct. Our exit strategy is ridiculous and we just keep doing the same failed things every week. There are many other equally stupid things we do for example, tap restarts involve 2 long passes before moving forwards just like under 8s. Dumbest team on the planet
Why the fuck our centres dont tap and run hard in between their opposite number and the 5/8th is beyond me.

Just run at the gap, drop, get a quick PTB and get on a roll