Our exit strategy.......tackles 1,2,& 3.......

True Blue

old dog
Reaction score
A large percentage of our play revolves around exiting our own 20 metre zone, either from a kick or even a set play. I know that many teams use their wings and fullback/centres to take up the first one or two tackles (particularly for a kick return) to allow the forwards to get back or even a quick breather. Unfortunately in our case you often see Kiraz with the first run and the the Fox with the next............but if you watch closely you will see that the Fox is physically manhandled and often driven back. Clearly the Fox is trying to inject some speed and energy into the line, but it just does not work......he is better staying on his wing and trying to use his speed to get outside the defence. Use the like of the centres...Schoupp and whoever to take on the defensive line more. We are simply wasting 1 or 2 tackles every set by going the way we have and are lucky if we make it to "our" 40 metre line before we need to use the long kick from Burton.....sometimes it works well, but mostly we just give the ball back.... The Fox is too keen to inspire, but only succeeds in stifling our efforts to get away for our line. Your thoughts........

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
He can be effective carrying the ball when he gets in behind the ruck but a lot the time he's receiving the ball from a standing start, doing some silly hop and skip or trying to fight of the first marker when he runs from dh for a 3m gain. I think it's more a team issue rather than individual, we just aren't fit enough or well drilled enough and just fall far too short in these basic areas of the game.

billy beane

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
A large percentage of our play revolves around exiting our own 20 metre zone, either from a kick or even a set play. I know that many teams use their wings and fullback/centres to take up the first one or two tackles (particularly for a kick return) to allow the forwards to get back or even a quick breather. Unfortunately in our case you often see Kiraz with the first run and the the Fox with the next............but if you watch closely you will see that the Fox is physically manhandled and often driven back. Clearly the Fox is trying to inject some speed and energy into the line, but it just does not work......he is better staying on his wing and trying to use his speed to get outside the defence. Use the like of the centres...Schoupp and whoever to take on the defensive line more. We are simply wasting 1 or 2 tackles every set by going the way we have and are lucky if we make it to "our" 40 metre line before we need to use the long kick from Burton.....sometimes it works well, but mostly we just give the ball back.... The Fox is too keen to inspire, but only succeeds in stifling our efforts to get away for our line. Your thoughts........
When you loose the first couple of rucks the set dose not have much hope.

We simply lack powerful ball runners and are dominated right across the park.

Been a problem for years.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
When you loose the first couple of rucks the set dose not have much hope.

We simply lack powerful ball runners and are dominated right across the park.

Been a problem for years.
We are so bad around the ruck, honestly one of the worst teams I've ever seen. We just don't have a clue in either attack or defence.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Our off the ball play is terrible. On our back three runs there is no block runner, gifting the defence a free shot out of bad ball.
thats fukn lazy.
potter has addressed it but it isn’t happening

billy beane

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Our off the ball play is terrible. On our back three runs there is no block runner, gifting the defence a free shot out of bad ball.
thats fukn lazy.
potter has addressed it but it isn’t happening
Yeah we are sitting ducks ready to be belted.

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I miss those Matt Utai runs to get our sets rolling after we receive a kick. Man he used to put us on the front foot consistently and provided our forwards a good platform to roll up the field.

True Blue

old dog
Reaction score
I miss those Matt Utai runs to get our sets rolling after we receive a kick. Man he used to put us on the front foot consistently and provided our forwards a good platform to roll up the field.
Just what the likes of T'oo and may and Cobbo and even Toupou do for their sides....we just do not seem to have the right cattle for the job obviously. Give me 2 Matt Utai's for this team and I am sure much would change. I am not sure that the opposition defensive lines are policed closely enough in many occasions as well........

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Spot on. Stupid coaching to use Fox as a battering ram. Hit ups are for the stocky players, big dudes and forwards.

True Blue

old dog
Reaction score
Cant say anything negative about Foxx.. hes a complete pro and maybe our best player..
I am not saying anything negative about the Fox......but it is not really the most effective use of his talent. One of these days he will cop a bad injury in that mess if he gets no protection at the ruck. If anything, he is too keen to help out and show the way....

billy beane

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just what the likes of T'oo and may and Cobbo and even Toupou do for their sides....we just do not seem to have the right cattle for the job obviously. Give me 2 Matt Utai's for this team and I am sure much would change. I am not sure that the opposition defensive lines are policed closely enough in many occasions as well........
Our line is policed closely as we are pinged every time we get the chance to muscle up.

Coach killers.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Strategy :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: !!

Lewis

Waterboy
Reaction score
need quicker play the balls, the defense is set by the time they’ve gotten up. get to ground quick, get up quick… penalty if the defense stops you, watch to’o and may, they run hard and go down quick, they dont get held up in the tackle and then dropped down and then laid on. need to catch the defense off guard