our best line up since 1980- to the present day

Status
Not open for further replies.

gibbo2

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
guys have just finished watching all our grand final dvd's since 1980, for like the 20th time, and i got to thinking about a bulldogs allstar team from the last 25 years.

here's what i come up with and why.

1. greg brentnall(biggest kicker of the footy i ever saw, great passing and running game)
2. haz( picks himself with his ability to socre points and his defence)
3. andrew farrar( no better defender in the centres plus his ability to break the line in attack was invalubale)
4. Nigel vagana(best finsher the club has had)
5. chris anderson(safe reliable and a good finisher, was also very good positionally on the wing)
6. terry lamb(picks himself, no other reason needed)
7. steve mortimer(as above)
13.jim dymock( proveided that x factor in attack)
12. steve folkes(eighty minute player, great defender solid and skillful in attack
11. willie mason(do i need a reason) no.
10. steve price( solid player who comnes up with lots of tackles and hit ups plus gives us some extra ball playing ability)
9. dr peponis( just beats hetherington to the position as he had a better attacking game)
8. peter tunks(awesome impact to start the game, then bring on the ogre)
reserves
14. ewan McGrady(the guy was magic and can cover half, five eight hooker or fullback
15. Shrek
16. sonny bill( will probably be a walk up starter in two years time in this line up but still has a bit to prove to oust the other back rowers)
17darren smith( great utility and always had an impact when he came on)

18th man dean pay

who would you guys have in the team

Doggiesfan

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
1 Michael Potter
2 Greg Brentnall
3 Nigel Vagana
4 Willie Tonga
5 Darryl Halligan
6 Terry Lamb
7 Steve Mortimer
8 Peter Tunks
9 Billy Johnstone/George Peponis/Jason Hetherington (I really cannot decide)
10 Steve Price
11 Willie Mason
12 Darren Smith
13 Jim Dymock

14 Brad Clyde
15 Steve Folkes
16 Mark O'Meley
17 Sonny Bill Williams

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You havn't got it to far off what I would pick! Except I would have Hetherington as the hooker. And I would find a place for cement in there as well, probably for McGrady. He was dynamic in attack but his defence made Preston Campbell look like a defence genius!

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
i would find a position for polla mounter on the bench

gibbo2

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
CMP said:
You havn't got it to far off what I would pick! Except I would have Hetherington as the hooker. And I would find a place for cement in there as well, probably for McGrady. He was dynamic in attack but his defence made Preston Campbell look like a defence genius!
yeah totally agree with you about Mcgrady thats why i benched him

gibbo2

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
its hard to pick between era's as the game tactially has changed as has the rules, i must say that our 1980 side was the best team of all of them to watch, they were so entertaining.

.PARANoIR.

I stole this off Charisma
Reaction score
I'm going with the players I've seen, so basically 1987 onwards, and a few more:

1. Greg Brentall
2. Hazem Elmasri
3. Nigel Vagana
4. Matthew Ryan
5. Chris Anderson
6. Terry Lamb (c) (ALL HAIL!)
7. Steve Mortimer
8. David Gillespie
9. Jason Hetherington
10. Steven Price
11. Willie Mason
12. Dean Pay
13. Jym Dymock

14. Jason Smith
15. Jarred McCracken
16. Darren Britt/ Peter Tunks
17. Mark O'Meley

18. George Peponis
19. Paul Langmack

Coach: Chris Anderson...yeah. I know.

Last edited by a moderator:

old school dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Patten
Utai
Tonga
Vagana
El Masri
Lamb
Mortimer
Maitua
Mason
Ryan
Asotasi
Polla-Mounter
O'Meley

Williams
Tunks
Thurston
Kelly

TCB-BD

CBBD FTW!
Reaction score
Ok well considering I don't know everyone from all these sides.... I'll go with the ones I do know... but there have been so many greats... ;)

1. Greg Brentnall
2. Hazem El Masri
3. Andrew Farrar
4. Willie Tonga
5. Daryl Halligan
6. Terry Lamb
7. Steve Mortimer
8. Peter Tunks
9. Jason Hetherington
10. Steve Price
11. Willie Mason
12. Dean Pay
13. Jim Dymock

Interchange

14. Tony Grimaldi
15. Craig Polla Mounter
16. Steve Folkes
17. Darren Britt

18. George Peponis
19. Jason Smith

Coach: Warren Ryan

And then there is still Kelly, Norton, Williams, McCracken, O'Meley, Utai, Vagana, Gillespie, Silva, Anderson, Dallas, Bella, Gillies, Hughes and many more still missing out.... The Bulldogs have created so many great players, to name them all would fill 3 teams... :(

Last edited by a moderator:

JuStINcReDIbLe.

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
1. Michael Potter
2. Hazem El Masri
3. Andrew Farrar
4. Peter Mortimer
5. Chris Anderson
6. Terry Lamb
7. Steve Mortimer

8. David Gillespie
9. Billy Johnstone
10. Peter Tunks
11. Willie Mason
12. Paul Langmack
13. Jim Dymock

14. Steve Price
15. Darryl Brohman
16. Jason Hetherington
17. Jason Smith

18. George Peponis
19. Dean Pay
20. Steve Folkes

Coach: Warren Ryan

Hodgo007

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
1. Mick Potter
2. Hazem El Masri
3. Andrew Farrar
4. Nigel Vagana
5. Chris Anderson
6. Terry Lamb (C)
7. Steve Mortimer
8. Steve Price
9. Jason Hetherington
10. David Gillespie
11. Willie Mason
12. Peter Kelly
13. Steve Folkes

14. Craig Polla-Mounter
15. Dean Pay
16. Darren Smith
17. Peter Tunks
----------------------------------------------------------------------

I went with Jason at hooker over George. George was just about past it from 1981 onwards so Hetherington, I feel, did more for us during the time period mentioned. Also Farrar was a great defending centre for us in the 80's and Nigel selects himself considering he was voted the best centre in the World when he played for us. Mick Potter was a Dally M player of the year although he won it at St George. Still was great for us and I chose him over Silva who had a great run with us scoring a lot more tries than people think. Our halves are a non-issue with anybody.

In the forwards guys like Pricey, Mason and Cement select themselves. I went with Folkes and Dean Pay in the starting side. Folkes was one of the best defenders the game has seen. Uncomprimising and did his work with minimum fuss. Also Dean Pay was one of the best forwards of the 90's playing numerous games for Australia and NSW.

On the bench I went with Polly. He is very versatile and has played half, 5/8th and hooker on ocassions. Darren Smith was one of our best players over the years. Very versatile as well and very tough. Jim Dymock was one of the best ball-playing backrowers in the 90's. Also spent plenty of time in the 6 as well. Peter Tunks was one of the toughest guys to come out of Warren Ryans side of the 80's. Played for NSW and Australia as well.

Found it hard leaving guys like Darren Britt out.

EDIT - Forgot about Peter Kelly from the 80's. One of our hardest men for sure. Moved Deano to the bench and kicked out Jim Dymock. Kelly was also one of the tough forwards who played under Warren Ryan in the mid 80's in that formidable pack of ours. Guys like Baza, Polecat and Paranoir should remember him.

Hodgo007

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure how people could pick Clyde. He would be a certainty to be picked if he played his whole career with us but he only played 2 seasons. He was good but good enough to warrant selection. I could not pick McGrady. Had 2 good seasons before he was shown up and punted to the Magpies. One outstanding season with another good one doesn't warrant selection in a team over the last 25 years IMO.

Bry

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
1. Mick Potter
2. Hazem El Masri
3. Andrew farrar
4. Nigel Vagana
5. Chris Anderson
6. Terry Lamb (C)
7. Steve Mortimer
8. Steve Price
9. Jason Hetherington
10. David Gillespie
11. Willie Mason
12. Darren Smith
13. Jim Dymock

14. Steve Folkes
15. Dean Pay
16. Peter Kelly
17. Peter Tunks

So many good players, especially in the forwards. Ive gone for Dymock at lock. While he was at the Dogs, he played the best footy of his career epecially '95. I almost had McCracken at centre. Hard to leave out Polly, Britt, Jason Smith, and Paul Dunn to name a few.

You're right about Kelly, Hodgo. One of the toughest players to play for the dogs. I rate him with Dean Pay as being the two hardest men the Dogs have had. Dean Pay had great ballworkas well.

Doggiesfan

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
old school dog said:
Patten
Utai
Tonga
Vagana
El Masri
Lamb
Mortimer
Maitua
Mason
Ryan
Asotasi
Polla-Mounter
O'Meley

Williams
Tunks
Thurston
Kelly
You cannot possibly call yourself old school dog and have Patten, Uati, Maitua or Thurston in the side. Thats about as contradictory as it gets...

Trough

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
1 Brentnall
2 Anderson
3 C.Mortimer
4. Vagana
5. Farrar
6 Lamb
7 Mortimer
13 Langmack
12 Folkes
11 Mason
10 Gillespie
9 Peponis
8 Price

14 Kelly
15 Tunks
16 D Smith
17 SBW

polecat

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
SENSATIONAL post gibbo.
i have named a first and reserve grade side due to the fact I couldnt bare to leave some names out.both sides have a goalkicker and skipper plus 4 interchanges.
1) mick potter 18) greg brentnall
2) chris anderson 19) matt utai
3) chris mortimer 20) nigel vagana
4) andrew farrar 21) tony currie
5) hazem elmasri 22) darryl halligan
6) terry lamb 23) garry hughes
7) steve mortimer(c) 24) craig polla mounter
8) peter tunks 25) darren britt
9) jason hetherington 26) george peponis(c)
10) peter kelly 27) mark omeley
11) david gillespie 28) andrew ryan
12) dean pay 29) jason smith
13) steve folkes 30) paul langmack

interchange:
14) willie Mason 31) paul dunn
15) sonny bill 32) jim dymock
16) darren smith 33) geoff robinson
17) steve price 34) willie tonga

only 5 guys named were not intrnationals, imo mick potter would have been
Australias fullback ahead of the 2 champions, jack and belcher, during that period
were it not for 4 broken legs.he won the dallyM at 19 for us and then won it 12 years later for saints.how privelaged are we to have so many great players represent our club? big apology to brian battese who was a real hard bastard but couldnt fit him in.
i think dean pay was my favourite player over the 30 years i have followed the club. the day he left for parramatta was the 2nd most devestating in my life as a supporter, after the 2002 debacle.
deadset i am getting tingly remembering all these players...champions the lot of them......all won premierships with Canterbury,except vagana!
cheers to all

midas

Kennel Established
Reaction score
1. Potter - excellent fullback and Dally M winner with both the 'Dogs and Dragons
2. El Masri (gk) - not the fastest winger the 'Dogs or the game has seen, but few have had his footwork and instincts... not a bad goalkicker either
3. Vagana - only at Canterbury for 3 seasons but an excellent finisher and rated whilst at the Bulldogs as the best centre in the game
4. Farrar - very underrated centre who was a strong runner, excellent in defence and provided another kicking option
5. Utai - has his issues with defence and the high ball, but has an excellent strike rate for tries and can score tries other wingers cannot
6. Lamb - the best five-eighth in the history of the club
7. Mortimer (c) - the best halfback in the history of the club
8. Pay - great player at club and representative level... a huge loss when he left the club during the Super League War
9. Hetherington - gave great service from dummy half and was an incredible defender...
10. Kelly - Man of the Match in consecutive Grand Finals
11. Gillespie - Cement was a collosus for the Dogs and probably the player rivals least liked running at
12. Gillies - was incredible in the run to the '95 Premiership
13. Dymock - just beats out Langmack

14. Smith, D. - versatile and an utter professional
15. Smith, J. - a true footballer... another big loss when he moved to the Eels
16. Price - hard working, 80-minute prop or 2nd rower
17. Mason - Premiership winner, Clive Churchill Medalist, Origin and Test Rep, equally home at prop and second row, club leader, and he is only getting better... unlucky to miss out on a starting spot

Jeff

Waterboy
Reaction score
1 Greg Brentnall
2 Hazem El Masri
3 Chris Mortimer
4 Jarrod McCracken
5 Chris Anderson/Utai
6 Terry Lamb
7 Steve Mortimer
13 Jim Dymock
12 Willie Mason
11 David Gillespie
10 Peter Kelly
9 Jason Hetherington
8 Steve Price

14 Dean Pay
15 Sonny Bill Williams
16 Jason Smith
17 Darren Smith

old school dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Thanks Doggies Fan for your reply. I do think that History will be kind to Patten, Utai, Maitua and Thurston. If we win another Premiership this year (which I think we will ), Patten, Utai and Maitua become two Premiership players. I also think Thurston is a great. Name me a better fullback than Patten in the last 26 years. Give me Maitua over Mark Hughes, Paul Langmack any day. Utai over Anderson. For mine-yes.

masters

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Alchin
Nissan
Currie
Patmore
Campbell
McGrady
Hagan
Bella
Maguire