Our Achilles heel …. History repeats.

Dogzzz of War

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just looking through zero tackle and I note the following

Crighton signed 825k for 4 years
RFM on the books for 2024 and 2025. Anyone know what he is on ?
TPJ on our books in 2024 for 925k. Is this accurate ????
Perham signed for 2024. What’s he on ?
Ryan Sutton signed for 2024 and 2025. What are we paying him

I suspect a lot of money has been tied up in the above players and we have them for at least another year, and up to 2025 for RFM and Sutton.
And although Crighton is a quality player he is on massive overs on 825k
So what have we learned over the past 8 years? Poisoning our squad with poor long term choices who are crippling our salary cap position and taking away our ability to put together a balanced squad with quality players across the board.
Although we have a number of players coming off contract and they may free up some cap space, I don’t think 2024 is going to give us any joy.

04 Dreaming

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well said friend. I scribed a thread recently about this club still repeating all our past mistakes which is the reason we continue to go backwards with no sign of progress. I got torched from all angles

Might have to give it a bump

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Second the above, it’s looking pretty slim.can’t stress enough, a genuine experienced/veteran 7 is top priority.. or we keep sinking.

04 Dreaming

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Second the above, it’s looking pretty slim.can’t stress enough, a genuine experienced/veteran 7 is top priority.. or we keep sinking.
Hope ur doing ok Scooby. Did you end up jumping on the dolphins bandwagon also?

Lynchpin

Kennel Established
Reaction score

I suspect a lot of money has been tied up in the above players and we have them for at least another year, and up to 2025 for RFM and Sutton.
So what have we learned over the past 8 years? Poisoning our squad with poor long term choices who are crippling our salary cap position and taking away our ability to put together a balanced squad with quality players across the board.
Although we have a number of players coming off contract and they may free up some cap space, I don’t think 2024 is going to give us any joy.
Crichton: Not sure why everyone struggles to spell his name. #1 That figure is purported. We don't know what it really is. Personally, I reckon it is more likely to have a 7 in the front. #2. Let's wait 'til he actually gets here before declaring him on "overs" - we don't even know where he'll play yet.

RFM: Forget about it. Whatever he's on is under the long-serving player part of the cap. Not having him there saves you nothing until someone else qualifies for it.

TPJ: That's another media figure (which included the original freight from the Broncos) - the cost to our cap is less. Not saying he's been value yet, even on the lower figure, but his "cost" is not as bad as is being made out.

Perham: he's on peanuts. We can cut him next year if needs be, with not much cap impact (who's to say '24 isn't a club option anyway). His salary isn't the problem. Picking him as the 1st grade fullback is.

Sutton: Depth signing. Not on too much I wouldn't think. He'll play a role as a fringe 1st grader, particularly if we can bolster our middles depth. Overall disappointing so far, but he's had some moments and if he can get and stay healthy then I don't think he will be a disaster signing.

Dogzzz of War

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Crichton: Not sure why everyone struggles to spell his name. #1 That figure is purported. We don't know what it really is. Personally, I reckon it is more likely to have a 7 in the front. #2. Let's wait 'til he actually gets here before declaring him on "overs" - we don't even know where he'll play yet.

RFM: Forget about it. Whatever he's on is under the long-serving player part of the cap. Not having him there saves you nothing until someone else qualifies for it.

TPJ: That's another media figure (which included the original freight from the Broncos) - the cost to our cap is less. Not saying he's been value yet, even on the lower figure, but his "cost" is not as bad as is being made out.

Perham: he's on peanuts. We can cut him next year if needs be, with not much cap impact (who's to say '24 isn't a club option anyway). His salary isn't the problem. Picking him as the 1st grade fullback is.

Sutton: Depth signing. Not on too much I wouldn't think. He'll play a role as a fringe 1st grader, particularly if we can bolster our middles depth. Overall disappointing so far, but he's had some moments and if he can get and stay healthy then I don't think he will be a disaster signing.
So keeping RFM on 500k is a better decision than keeping JJ on 600k. JJ would have been eligible for it. And let’s not kid ourselves about JJ being told nicely to retire

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

How many of these players has Gus brought to our club?

Lynchpin

Kennel Established
Reaction score
So keeping RFM on 500k is a better decision than keeping JJ on 600k.
Did someone (anyone?) say that? - no, didn't think so.
And let’s not kid ourselves about JJ being told nicely to retire
He retired, it was his call. That's the way Josh said it happened.
So, until I am presented with evidence that he's lying, that's what I am going with.

DogDays

Kennel Participant
Reaction score

Can’t blame Des anymore…

Dogzzz of War

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did someone (anyone?) say that? - no, didn't think so.

He retired, it was his call. That's the way Josh said it happened.
So, until I am presented with evidence that he's lying, that's what I am going with.
Are you a lawyer because you structure your responses that way.
RFM retention is a bad decision, I gave you the reason which counters your argument.
my post is about bad recruitment retention decisions.

Lynchpin

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Are you a lawyer
Go hard with the insults why don't you? Might as well call me an Eels fan, or a Roosters supporter. Geez!
RFM retention is a bad decision
I don't disagree from a roster perspective. He has been bog-average. I am just glad he isn't in 1st grade (albeit due to injury/illness).
What I am saying (from a cap perspective) is: "Forget about it" - it's irrelevant to what we are able to spend.
Consider yourself "lawyered", I guess? :tonguewink:

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the Crichton figure is accurate and would be very similar to Burton.

I hope the TPJ figure is wrong.

Perham is on close to minimum so he isn’t a problem.

I have a feeling Sutton is on massive overs. We signed him a year out as a star signing. Thus not even giving Vaughn an offer.

Yes there are people on too much across our roster. This isn’t as big a problem as the continual lack of balance in our roster. The recruitment and retention committee cannot count. We can never seem to balance the positional roster. Stacked in areas and thin in others.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Hope ur doing ok Scooby. Did you end up jumping on the dolphins bandwagon also?
Nah bro… was dolphin watching at the start, out of interest, like most of us were.and of course jmk, but bulldogs through an through!! Things need to change very quickly however.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Player wages as reported by the media are absolute guesswork and fabrication. They might occasionally be close to the mark. But that'd be pure luck when it happens. I really wouldn't want people to stress out about wages when there's only a handful of people who'd know. They'd have a legal obligation to stay quiet about it if it's not the player themselves.