Our 2024 fullback is…

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Tracey is injured so let’s leave him out for now. Taafe is a known fullback who slotted easily into the south’s team. He has speed and x-factor .
Critta will play centre with xerri. Perham will play NSW cup in the centres probably .
I have heard that Tracey will be training with the rest of the team on Monday.

Always a Bulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have heard that Tracey will be training with the rest of the team on Monday.

Always a Bulldog
Would be good if he could be back training with the team that early ..

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Safe to say if ciraldo is choosing perham at 1 ,he might as well pull the pin as a coach,for many weeks the guy offered zero from the back .
Ciraldo is not capable of change as also is Matt Burton who can’t run the ball.
Bring on the utilitys.
One to coach and the other to run the ball .

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Bang on here mate, and quite possibly, might be the reason we opted for utilities to make way for Joash with the utilities moved to shore up other positions.
Very few have been signed on long contracts, and im sure this is because of the quality we have coming through in many positions.
If we hadn't signed Taffe or Tracey, I'd be confident of seeing Chrichton playing fb this year, but with these signings I think it makes sense to leave him at centre. But if he does end up playing fb and absolutely kills it, perhaps Joash will end up at centre.....

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
I don't think he is on fb money at all. 800k is top level centre money these days, and he is the best centre in the game imo.
Well, he should still be the most expensive player in our backline. Most expensive back is usually fb. And yeh i understood part of the reason he came over was to play FB which he had no chance at, at Penrith.

Hound Dog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Whilst we’re on the subject of asking questions of who plays where, thought I’d post this … some of these contract amounts that get quoted on here seem to be over inflated by some …

NRL 2024 scouting report: Canterbury Bulldogs recruitment, rookie talent, burning issues
[emoji438] Telegraph Sport

The arrival of 10 new faces at Belmore has left critics asking plenty of questions of Canterbury’s recruitment.
But the experience brought in was a deliberate ploy by Cameron Ciraldo.

Despite conceding the most points of any NRL team last season, the second-year coach has doubled down on his commitment to the defensive structure that was the backbone of much of Penrith’s success.

DAVID RICCIO examines the Bulldogs’ roster and the main issues facing the club in 2024.

2023 RICH 100 REPS: Luke Thompson (38, $800,000), Viliame Kikau (46, $750,000), Tevita Pangai Jr (47,$750,000), Matt Burton (70, $650,000), Kyle Flanagan (83, $600,000), Reed Mahoney (87, $600,000)

FREE AGENCY WRAP AND RATING

Undeniably the most active club in the NRL when it comes to off-season recruits with 10 new faces.

In a tough market without a stack of quality, the Bulldogs have worked hard to add superior depth than what they had in 2023.

Stephen Crichton is the most-prized signing of all, and Connor Tracey adds more depth to the backline.

Warriors forward Josh Curran is a shrewd addition to a pack that remains a work in progress. They appear to still be short of a front-row enforcer following the Sio Siua Taukeiaho move collapsing.

The likes of Kurt Mann, Blake Taaffe, Jaeman Salmon, Drew Hutchison and Jake Turpin are an uplift to the squad, bringing NRL experience from strong clubs and who provide versatility and options. The concern though is, what role do they all play?

COACH STATUS AND SAFETY RATING: CAMERON CIRALDO (2027)

Ciraldo is on a mission to do things his way with the belief that the same defensive system he introduced at Penrith can eventually be instilled at Canterbury. Last year included a string of learnings and layers of frustration, as both players and fans realised how much work needed to be done to understand the defensive model.

Amid all that was Ciraldo working out who the right players are to deliver on the plan. The club’s recruitment drive speaks to the backing of Ciraldo’s five-year contract.

SAFETY RATING: B+

LIKELY DEBUTANTS

Kitione Kautoga, Jordan Samrani: Amid the pain of a poor 2023 season, the Bulldogs have achieved two things over the past 12 months under Ciraldo, both by necessity and design. One, they’ve blooded a host of talent, including Jacob Preston, Karl Oloapu and Jeral Skelton. And two, they’ve recruited players with NRL experience to create a deeper roster that will halt the need to call on as many rookies in 2024 as they did in 2023.

However, two names to keep an eye on are Kitione Kautoga and Jordan Samrani. Kautoga is a hard-running back-rower who hails from Fiji and whom the Dogs managed to lure away from the Wests Tigers.

Samrani is a classy centre from the Sharks juniors who is on the comeback trail from a torn ACL.

WHO TAKES THE NEXT STEP

Blake Taaffe. The former South Sydney utility has moved to Belmore in what shapes as a career-defining decision.

Trapped on the bench and behind a star-studded Bunnies line-up, Taaffe is intent on proving that he is a weekly NRL player. He will get his chance at fullback and in the halves.

BURNINGS ISSUES

1. Crucial halves decision

Canterbury need to make a call on whether Matt Burton is a five-eighth or centre. The club’s 2024 recruitment drive has provided them with a string of halves options that can allow the pressure to be taken off Burton by moving him to the centres, even if it’s just for the short term.

Toby Sexton, Drew Hutchison, Blake Taaffe, Kurt Mann and Jaemon Salmon could all play a simple role in the halves that is focused on getting quality ball to strike weapons Burton, Crichton, Kikau, Preston and Kiraz.

2. The weak link on paper

The Bulldogs were getting well short of value for money for Luke Thompson and Tevita Pangai Jr, so their exit from a squad balance perspective is a win.

Josh Curran gives the Dogs a ball-playing option at lock. They are still short one more major signing in the pack that offers intimidation and leadership.

Reed Mahoney must also have a vastly improved season than his debut year.

3. The fullback puzzle

Hayze Perham fulfilled his potential for the Bulldogs, but the addition of Blake Taaffe, Stephen Crichton or Connor Tracey is an immediate upswing in providing Canterbury with a new point of attack in 2024.

CRYSTAL BALL

I wrote last year that despite all the hype, Canterbury would miss the finals. They simply didn’t have a roster capable of troubling the elite teams. Should Viliame Kikau, Stephen Crichton, Matt Burton, Josh Curran and Reed Mahoney stay fit, the Bulldogs will win more games than last year and climb the ladder for their highest-placed finish in five years.
Thanks for the dose of Bulldogs reading material, much love to you.

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, he should still be the most expensive player in our backline. Most expensive back is usually fb. And yeh i understood part of the reason he came over was to play FB which he had no chance at, at Penrith.
People need to look past what players are getting paid. They earn this much. So they have to play here or there. Even if that’s not their best position for the team.

It’s all about picking the best 17 on game day. In whatever positions works best for the team.

If it so happens that your most expensive player is out of form and not in the top 17 best players any given week. He plays reserve grade.

Crichton is one of the best if not the best centres in the game. His contract amount is that of a good centre. He is in the elite category. He is getting paid unders IMO.

Fullback just to name a few.
Ponga 1.4m
Turbo 1.1m
Teddy 1.1m

Crichton at 800-850k is a steal whatever position he plays.

Hound Dog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Personally I don't think you can simply look at each position individually without considering what effect it has on the rest of the team.

For example, playing Crichton at fullback leaves us particularly vulnerable in our weakest defensive area of the field - Centre, where we are also weak in depth.

Personally, I would play the worlds best centre at centre - K eep - I t - S imple - S tupid. Progress with the KISS Theory.

IMO -

Fullback is a fight out between 3 Players - Tracey, Taaffe & Wilson.

The Wing Positions have - JAC locked in with Kiraz the other most probable unless Xerri is not ready, then he plays right centre. Wilson & Skelton would be my other options.

Centres are - Crichton locked in on the left, with Xerri on the right or Kiraz if he is not ready. The other option is Skelton.

Five Eighth is Burton, with Tracey and Hutchinson as the back ups who prefer the left side, perhaps BBO also.

Halfback IMO is a race in 2 with Sexton or Taaffe to wear the 7 who play right side. Other options may be Hutchinson & BBO.

My Back 7 to give us the best balance across the backline would be

1. Tracey
2. Kiraz
3. Xerri
4. Crichton
5. Foxx
6. Burton
7. Taaffe

14. Mann who covers anywhere on the field in case of injury

18. Hutchinson who covers 3,4,6,7,13 in case we need an HIA replacement.
Yeah I definitely agree, don't complicate it early season with many new faces, keep it simple, do the fundamentals for each position, lots of hole running with support running.
In good scenarios, I'm hoping some forwards are encouraged to offload, this will help a simple game plan creating second phase play to help involve the backs.

We have decent cover in the squad and competition for places. I'd imagine training will be better than previous years.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Critta on 8 anything is market value: ffs the panthers came out the day it was happening they had a meeting and were increasing their offer (this could of been said to save face with their fans) still doesn’t change they were willing to pay 7 something.

Further more watch what manu gets. Holmes is already on more and he’s in the centres (after a failed fullback go)

Herbie? Staggs? Hell bests new deal? Critta isn’t overpaid. He’s an elite centre with the above and better than some imo.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Thats not necessarily, but $800k for arguably the best centre in the last 12 months and I personally think he will be a sensation in either position
Sensational signing
There are no props on the market, so the niff nuffs that keep saying buy props, there are none, so you expect gus to let quality players like critter and tracey go by?
Stupid

TheAlmightyJish

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Inglis had size strength and agility, I don’t see that in critta.
At least Tracey has played at fullback and has the speed and athleticism to play there.
Plus backing up players is a must for a fullback.
How the fuck does Critta not have size, strength and agility?

Hound Dog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
It’s time for an x-factor fullback. So for me it has to be Crichton.

Xerri, Tracey or Kiraz in the centres. These guys will bring the yardage and defend reasonably well. I still would have kept Boo-urns fit and as the back up centre because of his footy IQ.
Burns was some footy player! (when fit to play)

I don't want early season pressure, expectations on Critta at fullback, pitch forks would come out by 2months in no matter the results unless he's blazing it at fullback and I think most likely whoever plays there isn't going to be Billy Slateresque right away. Media and results would put pressure "hasn't scored in 429 minutes of football" etc. These things can derail a good start and any momentum build up. Keep it simple for now.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Thats not necessarily, but $800k for arguably the best centre in the last 12 months and I personally think he will be a sensation in either position
Sensational signing
There are no props on the market, so the niff nuffs that keep saying buy props, there are none, so you expect gus to let quality players like critter and tracey go by?
Stupid
I expect Gus to use his decades worth of experience and contacts to find us a prop instead of signing bums like Sutton on 500k or buying dead shits like Pele.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
No I haven’t…..but comparing him to Inglis?
What did Inglis achieve that Chrichton hasn't at just age 23?? Inglis was a phenomenal talent, don't get me wrong, but by the time Chrichton gives the game away it's quite possible that he will have achieved just as much.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
What did Inglis achieve that Chrichton hasn't at just age 23?? Inglis was a phenomenal talent, don't get me wrong, but by the time Chrichton gives the game away it's quite possible that he will have achieved just as much.
GI won a Clive Churchill out of position @ 5/8.

Doge

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Gus already said Critta was signed to play fullback