Our 2024 fullback is…

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Whilst we’re on the subject of asking questions of who plays where, thought I’d post this … some of these contract amounts that get quoted on here seem to be over inflated by some …

NRL 2024 scouting report: Canterbury Bulldogs recruitment, rookie talent, burning issues
[emoji438] Telegraph Sport

The arrival of 10 new faces at Belmore has left critics asking plenty of questions of Canterbury’s recruitment.
But the experience brought in was a deliberate ploy by Cameron Ciraldo.

Despite conceding the most points of any NRL team last season, the second-year coach has doubled down on his commitment to the defensive structure that was the backbone of much of Penrith’s success.

DAVID RICCIO examines the Bulldogs’ roster and the main issues facing the club in 2024.

2023 RICH 100 REPS: Luke Thompson (38, $800,000), Viliame Kikau (46, $750,000), Tevita Pangai Jr (47,$750,000), Matt Burton (70, $650,000), Kyle Flanagan (83, $600,000), Reed Mahoney (87, $600,000)

FREE AGENCY WRAP AND RATING

Undeniably the most active club in the NRL when it comes to off-season recruits with 10 new faces.

In a tough market without a stack of quality, the Bulldogs have worked hard to add superior depth than what they had in 2023.

Stephen Crichton is the most-prized signing of all, and Connor Tracey adds more depth to the backline.

Warriors forward Josh Curran is a shrewd addition to a pack that remains a work in progress. They appear to still be short of a front-row enforcer following the Sio Siua Taukeiaho move collapsing.

The likes of Kurt Mann, Blake Taaffe, Jaeman Salmon, Drew Hutchison and Jake Turpin are an uplift to the squad, bringing NRL experience from strong clubs and who provide versatility and options. The concern though is, what role do they all play?

COACH STATUS AND SAFETY RATING: CAMERON CIRALDO (2027)

Ciraldo is on a mission to do things his way with the belief that the same defensive system he introduced at Penrith can eventually be instilled at Canterbury. Last year included a string of learnings and layers of frustration, as both players and fans realised how much work needed to be done to understand the defensive model.

Amid all that was Ciraldo working out who the right players are to deliver on the plan. The club’s recruitment drive speaks to the backing of Ciraldo’s five-year contract.

SAFETY RATING: B+

LIKELY DEBUTANTS

Kitione Kautoga, Jordan Samrani: Amid the pain of a poor 2023 season, the Bulldogs have achieved two things over the past 12 months under Ciraldo, both by necessity and design. One, they’ve blooded a host of talent, including Jacob Preston, Karl Oloapu and Jeral Skelton. And two, they’ve recruited players with NRL experience to create a deeper roster that will halt the need to call on as many rookies in 2024 as they did in 2023.

However, two names to keep an eye on are Kitione Kautoga and Jordan Samrani. Kautoga is a hard-running back-rower who hails from Fiji and whom the Dogs managed to lure away from the Wests Tigers.

Samrani is a classy centre from the Sharks juniors who is on the comeback trail from a torn ACL.

WHO TAKES THE NEXT STEP

Blake Taaffe. The former South Sydney utility has moved to Belmore in what shapes as a career-defining decision.

Trapped on the bench and behind a star-studded Bunnies line-up, Taaffe is intent on proving that he is a weekly NRL player. He will get his chance at fullback and in the halves.

BURNINGS ISSUES

1. Crucial halves decision

Canterbury need to make a call on whether Matt Burton is a five-eighth or centre. The club’s 2024 recruitment drive has provided them with a string of halves options that can allow the pressure to be taken off Burton by moving him to the centres, even if it’s just for the short term.

Toby Sexton, Drew Hutchison, Blake Taaffe, Kurt Mann and Jaemon Salmon could all play a simple role in the halves that is focused on getting quality ball to strike weapons Burton, Crichton, Kikau, Preston and Kiraz.

2. The weak link on paper

The Bulldogs were getting well short of value for money for Luke Thompson and Tevita Pangai Jr, so their exit from a squad balance perspective is a win.

Josh Curran gives the Dogs a ball-playing option at lock. They are still short one more major signing in the pack that offers intimidation and leadership.

Reed Mahoney must also have a vastly improved season than his debut year.

3. The fullback puzzle

Hayze Perham fulfilled his potential for the Bulldogs, but the addition of Blake Taaffe, Stephen Crichton or Connor Tracey is an immediate upswing in providing Canterbury with a new point of attack in 2024.

CRYSTAL BALL

I wrote last year that despite all the hype, Canterbury would miss the finals. They simply didn’t have a roster capable of troubling the elite teams. Should Viliame Kikau, Stephen Crichton, Matt Burton, Josh Curran and Reed Mahoney stay fit, the Bulldogs will win more games than last year and climb the ladder for their highest-placed finish in five years.

Last edited:

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Personally I don't think you can simply look at each position individually without considering what effect it has on the rest of the team.

For example, playing Crichton at fullback leaves us particularly vulnerable in our weakest defensive area of the field - Centre, where we are also weak in depth.

Personally, I would play the worlds best centre at centre - K eep - I t - S imple - S tupid. Progress with the KISS Theory.

IMO -

Fullback is a fight out between 3 Players - Tracey, Taaffe & Wilson.

The Wing Positions have - JAC locked in with Kiraz the other most probable unless Xerri is not ready, then he plays right centre. Wilson & Skelton would be my other options.

Centres are - Crichton locked in on the left, with Xerri on the right or Kiraz if he is not ready. The other option is Skelton.

Five Eighth is Burton, with Tracey and Hutchinson as the back ups who prefer the left side, perhaps BBO also.

Halfback IMO is a race in 2 with Sexton or Taaffe to wear the 7 who play right side. Other options may be Hutchinson & BBO.

My Back 7 to give us the best balance across the backline would be

1. Tracey
2. Kiraz
3. Xerri
4. Crichton
5. Foxx
6. Burton
7. Taaffe

14. Mann who covers anywhere on the field in case of injury

18. Hutchinson who covers 3,4,6,7,13 in case we need an HIA replacement.

Last edited:

BULLDOGGSFAN

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
It's Tracey for me, Crichton is one of the best centres in the world so I would absolutely play him in between Jac and Kikau, If we want to be taken serious we need to pick our strongest line-up from round 1 not experiment and then change it when the seasons already over.
I also see Taaffe as a back up / NSW cup fullback
Agree we need to get it right and be competitive from day one. In particular keeping players in their same positions from day one.

Players build chemistry and cohesion week to week as they get to know each other and the temptation with all these utilities will be to suffer a loss and immediately make changes.

I get it if we get flogged and players aren’t having a dig but if we lose by 6-12 and everyone worked their pants off than just leave them.

Something I’ve noticed with Wayne Bennett coached sides too is he’s always very reluctant to make changes…

Even more so if they’re in crucial defensive positions like centre, fullback and back row.

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Personally I don't think you can simply look at each position individually without considering what effect it has on the rest of the team.

For example, playing Crichton at fullback leaves us particularly vulnerable in our weakest defensive area of the field - Centre, where we are also weak in depth.

Personally, I would play the worlds best centre at centre - K eep - I t - S imple - S tupid. Progress with the KISS Theory.

IMO -

The Wing Positions have - JAC locked in with Kiraz the other most probable unless Xerri is not ready, then he plays right centre. Wilson & Skelton would be my other options.

Centres are - Crichton locked in on the left, with Xerri on the right or Kiraz if he is not ready. The other option is Skelton.

Five Eighth is Burton, with Tracey and Hutchinson as the back ups who prefer the left side, perhaps BBO also.

Halfback IMO is a race in 2 with Sexton or Taaffe to wear the 7 who play right side. Other options may be Hutchinson & BBO.

1. Tracey
2. Kiraz
3. Xerri
4. Crichton
5. Foxx
6. Burton
7. Taaffe

18. Hutchinson who covers 3,4,6,7,13 in case we need a HIA replacement.
That’s my back 7, except I’d swap Xerri & Crichton .. I feel Crichton plays better right side, and his defensive experience is needed more on that side… if Xerri’s ready, a left side of him, Kikau and JAC has speed to burn and power … jmo.

BULLDOGGSFAN

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
That's interesting.

My view is that, based on reported contracts, Crichton at ~$800k is paid around the same as the other elite centres, Farnworth, Manu, Staggs, Best, Holmes etc.

To me "fullback money" is represented by Mitchell $1m, TTrbojevic $1.1m, Tedesco $1m, Punga $1.4m, Gutherson $950k, etc

Always a Bulldog
I think at the time we signed him we had Averillo, Dufty maybe and Perham and desperately needed a FB.
Now we have multiple options and are coming off a woeful defensive season. Chricton would go a long way to fixing the defence on one edge if he plays centre alongside Kiks or Preston and inside Fox or Kiraz.
Line speed out wide if he plays alongside Fox would be nuts.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Most FB’s have an obvious strong side. Critta has shown he can be devastating on both sides of the field.
I want to see him start at FB. He could make both edges more dangerous.

CQDog

Kennel Legend
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
It will be Crichton to start but Tracey should win the spot when Ciraldo realizes Crichton’s impact isn’t enough at fullback in comparison to centre

BULLDOGGSFAN

Kennel Participant
Reaction score

He wasn’t a dally-fuck-all when he signed that deal.
in fact he was better known for being concussed and toilet time with his friends.
Haha accurate. Maybe I’m old fashioned but toilet time should be strictly solo

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score

For example, playing Crichton at fullback leaves us particularly vulnerable in our weakest defensive area of the field - Centre, where we are also weak in depth

IMO -

1. Tracey
2. Kiraz
3. Xerri
4. Crichton
5. Foxx
6. Burton
7. Taaffe

18. Hutchinson who covers 3,4,6,7,13 in case we need a HIA replacement.
Of course right now we are all guessing, but here's how I see it;

"Centre, where we are also weak in depth" Not the case, we have Burton, Crichton, Xerri, Tracey (who has played more NRL at Centre than anywhere else), Kiraz, Skelton and Samrani. At my count centre is in fact the position where we are the deepest, by some margin.

"Five Eighth is Burton, with Tracey and Hutchinson as the back ups" I don't see how Tracey even rates a mention at 5/8, his most common NRL appearances are centre and winger with fullback a distant 3rd. Taaffe would be more likely for the 5/8 back up to Burton.

"Fullback is a fight out between 3 Players - Tracey, Taaffe & Wilson" Fullback is Crichton's to lose.

I see Xerri's best position as left centre, which puts him with Burton, Kikau and JAC with Crichton chiming in from Fullback. FMD that's the best left side we have had for decades (Mozzies not withstanding) .

Always a Bulldog

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
It’s time for an x-factor fullback. So for me it has to be Crichton.

Xerri, Tracey or Kiraz in the centres. These guys will bring the yardage and defend reasonably well. I still would have kept Boo-urns fit and as the back up centre because of his footy IQ.

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Possibly right, I don’t pretend to know what Ciraldo is thinking or what the team make up is going to be, I do know that Wilson was one of our OBs last year and looked dangerous returning the ball in space and based On that I hope he gets a crack at it at some point.
I am no knock on Wilson. His game awareness could do with some work but on the whole I don’t mind him. I just think he is down the order a bit.

I would like to see CC and Potter actually give players like Wilson a more decisive role in NSW Cup. Pick and stick in positions. Last year players had very little positional consistency in cup.

In no particular order:
Crichton
JAC
Xerri
Tracey
Kiraz
I see as our starting backline.

Wilson will be competing with the likes of Taaffe, Skeleton, Hutchison, Samrani. Even the coaches pet on Perham for the next in line card.

With all the utilities coming in. It looks like they might squeeze in front of existing squad members if backline shuffle happens.

BMOC

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tracey is injured so let’s leave him out for now. Taafe is a known fullback who slotted easily into the south’s team. He has speed and x-factor .
Critta will play centre with xerri. Perham will play NSW cup in the centres probably .

billy beane

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
1 Critta/ Taaffe
2 Fox
3 Tracey/Critta
4 Burton
5 Kiraz

Xerri to be eased back in.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Tracey is injured so let’s leave him out for now. Taafe is a known fullback who slotted easily into the south’s team. He has speed and x-factor .
Critta will play centre with xerri. Perham will play NSW cup in the centres probably .
Taaffe is fucking shit, just pretend that he doesn't exist.