Origin for Perth??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dog Till I Die

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's a couple of stories I filed for ABC radio today.
Fingers crossed :p

EX-RN-PER
origin perth 2
bonaccorso
The West Australia Rugby League says it's just a matter of time before Perth hosts a State of Origin fixture.

Origin is normally played in either Sydney or Brisbane but NRL officials have been in talks with the W-A government about bringing the showpiece clash to Perth for more than a year.

The W-A-R-L says the code is serious about expanding to the West and hosting Origin at Perth's new 60-thousand capacity stadium, due for completion in 2018.

W-A-R-L C-E-O John Sackson says much would have to do with a Perth-based franchise being admitted to the N-R-L.

CART I'm very very optimistic about that, and of course if that was the case our prosects of this city hosting a state of origin match are greatly enhanced as well

EX-RN-PER

origin perth

bonaccorso

The West Australian Rugby League says negotiations to host a State of Origin match in Perth are gathering pace.

The W-A-R-L says it's aware of talks between the West Government and NRL officials over the prospect of hosting an origin match at the yet to be completed 60-thousand seat stadium near at Burswood.

The aim of the move would be to attract a new audience to rugby league and broaden its appeal across Australia.

W-A Rugby League's chief executive, John Sackson says talk of bringing the game's showpiece to Perth began last year and he's confident it's just a matter of time

CART:
Those discussions have been quite meaningful and the whole prospect of a state of origin game in perth I believe, are very real.

Stoofy

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
If they pay the dollars Origin will be played in WA.

It wont be long before a game will be played in Japan / Hong Kong / Middle East!

FreshSoulL

Faith
Reaction score
They cant play it at Perth. Ratings will be low etc.. you need to think of the time slots.

Mr. Sparkle

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
They cant play it at Perth. Ratings will be low etc.. you need to think of the time slots.
The kickoff can be either 6pm or 6:30pm over in Perth and back in the eastern states it will be 8pm or 8:30pm so it can still work.

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
I'd probably travel to Perth for Origin, would be a nice novelty.

Ahecee

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
One game in Sydney, one in Brisbane, and one somewhere else moving each year..... could be a good show piece for the NRL, not a bad idea for testing the waters on expansion, or, decentralizing the game.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
It annoys me a little when they move NRL games to Perth but I can understand that they're trying to expand, but why move Origin? It's not going to help anyone.

Fruitty Pebbles

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If they pay the dollars Origin will be played in WA.

It wont be long before a game will be played in Japan / Hong Kong / Middle East!

Don't be silly Stoofy it won't be played in Japan, Hong Kong and Middle East for sure

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
It annoys me a little when they move NRL games to Perth but I can understand that they're trying to expand, but why move Origin? It's not going to help anyone.
The annoying thing about it is that the outcomes of such endeavour are not clear. NRL needs to be talking about future potential structural changes that would allow new teams from places like Perth and Wellington a shot at joining the top flight.

Dogs Of War

On the Warpath
Reaction score
I would only play a game in Perth on the back of them getting there own team. Probably the year before there introduction, with special offers to become a Perth club member and get a ticket to the game (ie either discount on membership, or 3 game membership). This way Perth are setup with the contacts of those interested in teh game. Needs that new stadium to be finished as well.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Why don't the NRL expand across first?

E.G

South Australia / Northern Territory THEN WA / TAS

Problem is, the game doesn't seem to have many followers it seems in those areas. That's where AFL kills it.

Ndawai

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If they can play a game in Los Angeles I dont see a problem with perth - They may need to kick off earlier to avoid timezones clash.

ouwet

Bulldogs 4 Life
Reaction score

E.G

Problem is, the game doesn't seem to have many followers it seems in those areas. That's where AFL kills it.
WA has a good junior system n support! Next team should be in WA along with a 2nd Brisbane team

Ndawai

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
WA has a good junior system n support! Next team should be in WA along with a 2nd Brisbane team
Couldnt agree more! Brisbane needs a 2nd team - Look at what the Western Sydney Wonderers did to Sydney being the 2nd sity team - Memberships rose and the code in general grew- Im all for making our great game even greater plus making the Donkeys share their jnrs will detract from them keeping all the goof qld players - Its only a matter of time WA get a team.

2nd phase play

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I don't like it!
It should stay in Nsw and Qld only the battle of the 2 states.
Thats what made the game so great!!!

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Great idea, and the next place should be Wellington. Perth and Wellington should be the expansion areas. I say rugby league should take union head on over in nz and try and bring union to its knees in its most dominant country.

I'm confident rugby league product is so much better that if we have the right people in the right places they can make things happen.

It's time to move on from the same old qld and nsw

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score

E.G

I don't mind the game expanding into other areas but I don't think there's enough good quality players to fill more teams atm.

In regards to origin going to Perth I'd much rather a game is played there then in Melbourne, at least there are people in Perth who follow and understand the game.

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Great idea, and the next place should be Wellington. Perth and Wellington should be the expansion areas. I say rugby league should take union head on over in nz and try and bring union to its knees in its most dominant country.

I'm confident rugby league product is so much better that if we have the right people in the right places they can make things happen.

It's time to move on from the same old qld and nsw
Would be good to stick it to them after stealing some of or League stars

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Living in Brisbane, it's obvious to me a second team in Logan / Ipswich is needed (as well as Perth),

Sent from my C5303 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.