Status
Not open for further replies.

The Bandit

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Origin door ajar for Barrett
By Laine Clark
June 23, 2005

A CHANGE of heart by New South Wales selector Bob McCarthy has opened the Origin door for injured pivot Trent Barrett, in worrying news for incumbent Blues five-eighth Braith Anasta.

McCarthy originally said Barrett would not be considered for Origin III when the NSW team was decided on Monday if he did not play for his NRL club St George Illawarra this weekend.

However, the Blues selector changed his tune today, saying Barrett would still be in the Origin mix even if he didn't feature in NRL action against the Wests Tigers on Sunday.

Barrett would be considered as long as he had fully recovered from the thigh strain that ruled him out of Origin II, McCarthy said.

"If he didn't play this weekend, yeah, we would run the rule over him but we would have to look at the doctor's report," McCarthy said.

"And he would have to make training the next day. If he couldn't train for a week we wouldn't be thinking much about him – we will just go on the doctor's report."

If picked, Barrett is expected to link in the halves with Andrew Johns, who returns from a neck injury for NRL club Newcastle against Penrith on Saturday night.

But neither McCarthy or NSW Rugby League general manager Geoff Carr would speculate whether Johns would skipper the Blues if incumbent captain and hooker Danny Buderus failed to overcome a toe injury, as expected.

McCarthy was more expansive on injured NSW winger Luke Rooney.

Advertisement:
The Penrith flyer suffered a corked thigh in game two and was expected to struggle to be fit for Origin III.
But McCarthy said other winger options had not been considered – yet.

"No one's told me about Rooney being out," he said.

"But we will consider all the medical reports before picking our side – we won't plan anything until we get in on 9.30am on Monday."

A Penrith official confirmed Rooney would play for the Panthers against Newcastle in a major boost to the winger's NSW selection chances.

** If this comes true then Anasta may be pushed to the bench or maybe not even retain his spot at all....not good **

jimmy_the_greek

Bulldogs Fanatic
Reaction score
im not saying this because i am a bulldogs fan but i beleive that Anasta did very well in origin 2 and would be really unfair if he did not make the third origin.

Fully Sik Drop kick

Abra Kebabra
Reaction score
man i'm not 2 worried about origin atm, i dont care if nsw lose, i'm more concerned about us making the top eight and cementing a spot there.

coastaldog

COACH
Reaction score
anasta plays a better roll there than barrett if johns is playing well

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
as long as o'meley, anasty and myles dont play origin as we need them for our pcoming crucial matches against melbourne and auckland

The Bandit

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I dont think Myles will be picked this year but watch out in the years to come he is gonna be a great asset to the QLD'ers.

Anasta and O'Meley have a pretty good chance of gettin picked

T

TdoggBulldog

myles?? would he ever be in selection for origin?? is he that good?

T

TdoggBulldog

yet i mean... i kno he will eventually... but i dont think hes ready now

The Bandit

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thats what i meant don't expect him to be there anytime soon, but i reckon he will break into Origin for QLD....they need some new young blood front rowers to replace the like of Price, Civoneciva, Thorn, Webke, Tallis...all have retired or will in the next few years.

Myles is only 19 so has plenty of footy years ahead of him.

*Karlz*

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Reaction score
jimmy_the_greek said:
im not saying this because i am a bulldogs fan but i beleive that Anasta did very well in origin 2 and would be really unfair if he did not make the third origin.
Thats how I feel too.

H

Hazmak

Barrett > Anasta

At least he's not a lying dogging sack of mother ****ing **** like Braith is!

Wolfpac

4 Life
Reaction score
who cares about SOO at the moment

we are about to find out if we are going to lose, resign or sign new players before the next SOO

Status
Not open for further replies.