Status
Not open for further replies.

The Beer Baron

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
By Joe Barton
17:36 AEST Tue Apr 17 2012

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8452909

The ARL Commission says it has put steps in place to end farcical State of Origin eligibility tug-of-wars, but admits it's powerless to stop brothers Tariq and Korbin Sims facing off for different states in the future.

Having weathered the controversy surrounding James Tamou switching allegiances from New Zealand to Australia ahead of his Kangaroos debut in Auckland this Friday, the rugby league community is bracing for a scenario where two brothers could go head to head in Origin.

Tariq, who on Sunday will look to impress NSW coach Ricky Stuart when he makes his representative debut for Country, is determined to play for the Blues.

Younger brother Korbin, who will be at Penrith on Saturday night playing for Queensland in the inaugural Under 20s State of Origin, has aligned with Queensland.

This is despite growing up under the same roof in Gerringong, roughly 90 minutes south of Sydney.

Further clouding the issue is the revelation that under the rules introduced this year, Korbin would qualify for Country and NSW.

But based on the problematic old system, he is a Queenslander as he played his first senior rugby league game after age 16 in Queensland - an error which cannot be undone.

"It would be an unusual situation (having two brothers playing on opposing sides in Origin), but we can't have a rule that is retrospective," the ARL's director of league integration and development Andrew Hill told AAP.

"The new rule is designed to commence for players commencing their representative football from this year.

"It's difficult to make a retrospective ruling.

"Under the new eligibility guidelines, there was a clear message that if you've already participated in representative football (from under 18s onwards) then that would stand."

That means Korbin, having played Queensland under 18s last year, and the likes of Greg Inglis, who has played 15 matches for Queensland but would be a Blue under new guidelines, will continue to wear maroon.

Tariq Sims seemed slightly miffed by his younger brother's decision to shun the sky blue, but said he was still proud of the Newcastle prop with a bright future.

"It's his decision that he wanted to align with those Queenslanders," Tariq told AAP.

"I'm proud of him, but he's born and bred in Gezza (Gerringong) but, oh well.

"He's his own man. He can stand on his own two feet and stand by his decisions. He's going to do well for himself."

Tariq left no doubt over where his allegiances lie - saying that he was desperate to impress this weekend to further his chances of an Origin call-up this year for the Blues.

"Hopefully, I get on the field on the weekend and do my best that I can do and show (Country coach) Laurie (Daley) and my teammates and especially Ricky what I can do," Sims said.

"It would mean a lot to represent my state and my family at the highest level of football you can play.

"Everyone wants to be the best that they can be at their profession, and playing Origin is the pinnacle of rugby league so it would mean everything not only my family, my club but also my state.

"I'd be proud as punch."

Captain Kickass

Dirtbag Lifecoach
Reaction score
This sh*t cheapens Origin as a whole ... I would like to think that Qld'ers hope he never plays.

Thoughts from Canetoads welcome ...

El_Magic

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This sh*t cheapens Origin as a whole ... I would like to think that Qld'ers hope he never plays.

Thoughts from Canetoads welcome ...
Really? When did we start inviting canetoads to weigh in on rugby league? Lol..seriously though, its becoming a joke. I'm born and bred in NSW would also be eligible for England. I wouldn't even contemplate playing for anyone except blues and kangaroos.

The Beer Baron

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Being a QLD supporter in state of origin even I want rules clear and specific on what state you are allowed to play for. What about players who started out in the 'non-rugby league; states, are they able to play state of origin ?? The new commission needs to set clear guidelines sooner rather than later on this issue.

Captain Kickass

Dirtbag Lifecoach
Reaction score
Dear Canetoads,

Does it cheapen your jumper knowing the likes of Sims wears it ?

TJW

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
i dont mind people like thaiday playing for qld as he learn't to play in qld even though he was born in nsw. but people like sims, inglis + co shouldn't be able to choose who they want to play for because they moved to qld on a contract as a teenager. it needs to be cleared up asap

Mr. Sparkle

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Being a QLD supporter in state of origin even I want rules clear and specific on what state you are allowed to play for. What about players who started out in the 'non-rugby league; states, are they able to play state of origin ?? The new commission needs to set clear guidelines sooner rather than later on this issue.
James McManus is an example, born in Scotland then moved to NT and playing rugby league. In 2003 he signed to the Newcastle Knights and played State of Origin for NSW in 2009. Since he has never played junior or senior football in QLD, he would not be eligible for QLD. So i guess if you were born outside NSW or QLD it depends where you play your first senior game in deciding which state you play for in Origin.

The Beer Baron

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
James McManus is an example, born in Scotland then moved to NT and playing rugby league. In 2003 he signed to the Newcastle Knights and played State of Origin for NSW in 2009. Since he has never played junior or senior football in QLD, he would not be eligible for QLD. So i guess if you were born outside NSW or QLD it depends where you play your first senior game in deciding which state you play for in Origin.
Wasn't Polla-mounter born in Victoria and he played for city origin ??

The Beer Baron

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He also made himself eligible for QLD when he thought he had a shot
It could of been because he played Rugby union in QLD (represented school boys team I think). Mind you how you can go from City origin to QLD state of origing is beyond me.

BaYry Ward

Former Immortal
Reaction score
Who cares about all the debate, the main thing that I got from the article was the semi hard-on listening to Tariq talk of his desire to play for NSW.

That's the sh!t we need.

Tha DoggFather

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Easy fix, play where your f*cking born!

Its not rocket science......

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Who cares about all the debate, the main thing that I got from the article was the semi hard-on listening to Tariq talk of his desire to play for NSW.

That's the sh!t we need.
^^Agreed!

Pa-28

Bring back the BIFF!!!
Reaction score
That idea comes with it's own problems.

Hazem - Lebanon
Uate - Fiji
Mason - New Zealand.

And that's just to name a few.
What's the problem? None of those players should have played origin. The only way to make it 100% fair is where ever you are born, that's who you play for.

The only problem I see 10-20 years down the track is that City v Country will be dead. There is no way that country can compete with all the polynesian kids coming through, and none of them play in the country.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.