Orford signs with Canberra

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Paint.

The arrival of former Dally M Medallist Matt Orford will add composure to David Furner's talented but "mentally soft" NRL team, Canberra great Gary Belcher believes.

Orford on Monday signed a one-year NRL deal with the Raiders after being released by UK Super League club Bradford Bulls, who he spent the 2010 season with.

The 32-year-old halfback is a late addition to a Raiders line-up who will be without captain and star playmaker Terry Campese for the first few months of the NRL 2011 season.

Belcher, a Fox Sports commentator who played 148 first-grade games with the Raiders from 1986 to 1993, tipped the former Manly No.7 to stabilise a young Raiders side who have not yet found the consistency required to go deep into the NRL finals.

"I think it's a great move to get Matt Orford, he's a quality player," Belcher told foxsports.com.au.

"The Raiders have got some great young outside backs, when you take (Jarrod) Croker, (Daniel (Vidot) and Josh (Dugan) ... they certainly need some experience there and someone to direct them around the park.

"(But) one of their problems has been when they have needed to hold onto a good lead, they lose their way.

"It's probably not unfair to say they're a bit mentally soft, they need to improve in that department, and hopefully Matt Orford can help there."

Orford is expected to begin training with his fourth NRL club immediately, as the Raiders look to build on a promising 2010 season in which they finished seventh before being eliminated by Wests Tigers in the second week of the finals.

The success of 2010 and a promising list of recruits including Orford, Brett White and Blake Ferguson sees the Raiders shape up as a formidable prospect in 2011.

Orford, a premiership winner with Manly in 2008, the same year he claimed the Dally M Medal, will work behind a powerful forward pack headlined by New South Wales Blues forwards Dave Shillington, Tom Learoyd-Lahrs and White.

Belcher said he doubted the Raiders would have signed the 32-year-old if captain Campese had not been injured, but backed the decision given the Raiders have also lost fringe half Marc Herbert to Orford's old club Bradford.

"I think he's initially there as cover ... but as most clubs realise if you have trouble in your halves you're not going to have a great season, and I think most clubs need to have a back-up half," the former Kangaroos and Queensland fullback said.

Belcher tipped Orford to partner up with Josh McCrone, a young ballplayer whose performances have mirrored the inconsistency of the Green Machine for the past few seasons.

"I think Josh McCrone has a fair bit to offer - but he's got a fair bit still to learn," he said.

"He (McCrone) kind of gets stifled when he's worried about playing halfback all the time ... so it might work really nicely there if McCrone goes out to six."

Orford, who was also courted by Parramatta for 2011, made his NRL debut with Northern Eagles in 2000, before enjoying NRL stints with Melbourne Storm (2001-2005) and the Sea Eagles (2006-2009).

holbi

Kennel Participant
Gilded
Reaction score
On paper this seems a great buy for the Raiders, just what their young backline needs, just hope he plays for them loike he did for Manly. Be even better for the green machine when Campese gets back on the field

Kratos

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have since thrown it out, but the last RL Week had an article where a Raiders 'Gun' junior was telling the story about how Furner had promised him first crack at the halfback position. Bet he would like that retracted now!

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Good to see some stars return to the NRL, he was a half to worry about, the Raiders will be another interesting team this season.

Jigga

Kennel Established
Reaction score
he will be great for them, they will be right amongst it again ths year which is great, as i feel that a strong Canberra side is great for the game.

Hubdy

Bite Me
Reaction score
Orford, a premiership winner with Manly in 2008, the same year he claimed the Dally M Medal, will work behind a powerful forward pack headlined by New South Wales Blues forwards Dave Shillington Tom Learoyd-Lahrs and White

im just curious to know when dave shillington jumped ship and became a new south wales blues forwad.....? lolol
on orford very nice pick up for the raiders they been needing a good half back for a while now he will take alot of pressure off Campese when he returns
they will upset a few teams this season like what Gary Belcher said they have some really good young players and a monster pack "i just hope they choke personally"

FaceBreaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
All depends how long campese is out for. I think once he comes back their team will be on fire, without him - they just wont click.

Moe

Moderatwhore
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Team is looking good now

1. Dugan
6. Campese
7. Orford
9. Widdel/Buttress

MONSTER FORWARD PACK+Quick outside backs

Dogmad

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
wheres parra's supposedly 'big money' they have lying around...

bert

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hate the little c...t !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
F..k him off back to England

parragirl01

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
wheres parra's supposedly 'big money' they have lying around...
Orford was asking for way more than what he's worth. While we needed a halfback, I'm glad we didn't throw the big dollars at him. He's old and injury prone, definitely not a risk we should take.

The Greatest

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Orford was asking for way more than what he's worth. While we needed a halfback, I'm glad we didn't throw the big dollars at him. He's old and injury prone, definitely not a risk we should take.
I agree, you better of signing Mortimer for $250K after a handfull of games and throwing big money on Hayne for 5 good games a year.

:sarcasm:

parragirl01

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I agree, you better of signing Mortimer for $250K after a handfull of games and throwing big money on Hayne for 5 good games a year.

:sarcasm:
hahah

Mortimer = NOT worth 250 k
Hayne= worth every cent.

At least they're young and can improve, Orford is 32, he can only go downhill from here.

Vagabond

flumshma
Reaction score
It's better than nobody.

Hog

The War Pig
Reaction score
I'm shocked the Raiders haven't come in hard for Nathan Smith, very good hooker who'll never get first grade at the Bulldogs

Moe

Moderatwhore
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
fcked if i know how to spell his name. and i honestly dont care enough to check.

But i do miss Slippery mocking my spellling ability

Status
Not open for further replies.