Optus down

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
optus has a system and backup system, they test their software updates and can revert back if it fails, im sure of that

so the most obvious answer is not that someone messed up, if someone messed up then any number of these systems would have picked it up

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
the malaysian missing flight has communication systems, it has flight controls, it has autopilot, it has a transponder, it has people dedicated to looking at the transponder, it has military dedicated to looking at it if the transponder turns off, it has another pilot if the original pilot is not feeling well, they have search operations to find crashed planes, it has so many backups

the most obvious answer is not that it disappeared into thin air or that someone messed up

i assume optus has many backups systems to prevent someone messing up and it destroying the entire network for 14 hours

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
a human messed up and it brought down a network in the whole country for 14 hours?, no just like the malaysian missing flight, the most obvious answer is that someone wanted it to fail and did something to bypass all the backup systems
You're an expert on telecommunications networks as well?

Wow. A medical expert, and immunologist, a historian, a political expert. Is there anything you can't do?

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score

Wow. A medical expert, and immunologist, a historian, a political expert. Is there anything you can't do?
well i can't act, i can't be like you and act like there aren't many telecommunications experts out there employed by optus who have developed systems to prevent something like the nationwide outage

i can't act like the software update would be able to bring down the network because they could simply test it out first and revert back if anything goes wrong

are you denying that they have these systems in place? are you suggesting that they can't go revert an update immediately or that they didn't test it out before rolling it out? explain that situation for me instead of mocking, give me an example of something that could do all that

im not all in on that its sabotage but the most obvious answer is that someone knew enough about the system and created a problem that navigated through all those backups

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
btw if optus did roll out their new software update without testing it and without a way to revert it, then their telecommunications experts are like the covid vaccine experts and shouldn't be trusted as experts at all

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
well i can't act, i can't be like you and act like there aren't many telecommunications experts out there employed by optus who have developed systems to prevent something like the nationwide outage

i can't act like the software update would be able to bring down the network because they could simply test it out first and revert back if anything goes wrong

are you denying that they have these systems in place? are you suggesting that they can't go revert an update immediately or that they didn't test it out before rolling it out? explain that situation for me instead of mocking, give me an example of something that could do all that

im not all in on that its sabotage but the most obvious answer is that someone knew enough about the system and created a problem that navigated through all those backups
Nope. I know they have systems in place, and redundancies. So do the many companies and corporations I have worked for. And I have seen many of these corporations brought down because someone opened the wrong attachment on an email, or someone ran a script without isolating it and brought down the entire network.

I'm not saying it wasn't sabotage. I'm saying it probably wasn't sabotage. The official explanation from Optus is that it was a fault in the safety protocols. I have no reason to believe that is wrong.

As I said earlier, I studied network engineering and while at Uni, we often knocked out the entire network because of errors. Without sufficient safety protocols in place to isolate the updates from the main network, this kind of thing is going to happen. Even with the best networks in the business as it only takes one weak link in the chain to bring down an entire business.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Woohoo! Free smut, hope the commies spew everywhere

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score

You left out his aviation and radar expertise :-).

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Nope. I know they have systems in place, and redundancies. So do the many companies and corporations I have worked for. And I have seen many of these corporations brought down because someone opened the wrong attachment on an email, or someone ran a script without isolating it and brought down the entire network.

I'm not saying it wasn't sabotage. I'm saying it probably wasn't sabotage. The official explanation from Optus is that it was a fault in the safety protocols. I have no reason to believe that is wrong.

As I said earlier, I studied network engineering and while at Uni, we often knocked out the entire network because of errors. Without sufficient safety protocols in place to isolate the updates from the main network, this kind of thing is going to happen. Even with the best networks in the business as it only takes one weak link in the chain to bring down an entire business.
Not to mention if a software deployment does go awry it’s not always just click your fingers to ‘roll back’. Can’t tell you the number of times I’ve seen well tested software hit a glitch during deployment that takes time to rectify. Why? Because software is made by humans - and there’s any number of reasons why regressions exist - it’s not a perfect science. The way Zil tries to spin it like it’s black and white is like a general saying ‘Well, if we plan everything, none of our soldiers will die when we go to war’. Completely unrealistic.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Immigants, even when people were saying it was the lizards, I knew it was the immigants...

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
Not to mention if a software deployment does go awry it’s not always just click your fingers to ‘roll back’. Can’t tell you the number of times I’ve seen well tested software hit a glitch during deployment that takes time to rectify. Why? Because software is made by humans - and there’s any number of reasons why regressions exist - it’s not a perfect science. The way Zil tries to spin it like it’s black and white is like a general saying ‘Well, if we plan everything, none of our soldiers will die when we go to war’. Completely unrealistic.
i can tell you the number of times i have seen this happen, 1 time

don't compare this to a little software program glitch and don't act like optus can't revert back a software update in 14 hours

the way you spin it is black and white as well, like we are living in disneyland and everybody is friendly, nobody can do anything bad

its not black and white, its 4 possibilities and keep in mind that optus is a big company with plenty of experts involved

1) someone made a mistake, the problem brought down all of optus and avoided all the optus backup procedures for 14 hours

2) someone did it on purpose, it brought down all of optus and avoided all the optus backup procedures for 14 hours

3) god and/or jesus clicked their fingers and did it

4) the devil did it and his supervisor god didn't mind it

SexBomb

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
5) @Rodzilla did it to promote conspiracy discussion on TK ;)
6) @Doogie tried to subvert Optus' security with his new troops made up of frilled neck lizards, and they failed, dismally,
7) and the odd's on favourite, @Hacky McAxe did it for shits and giggles,
8) closely followed by @Blue_boost orchestrating it to teach the uncouth a dire lesson.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
i can tell you the number of times i have seen this happen, 1 time

don't compare this to a little software program glitch and don't act like optus can't revert back a software update in 14 hours

the way you spin it is black and white as well, like we are living in disneyland and everybody is friendly, nobody can do anything bad

its not black and white, its 4 possibilities and keep in mind that optus is a big company with plenty of experts involved

1) someone made a mistake, the problem brought down all of optus and avoided all the optus backup procedures for 14 hours

2) someone did it on purpose, it brought down all of optus and avoided all the optus backup procedures for 14 hours

3) god and/or jesus clicked their fingers and did it

4) the devil did it and his supervisor god didn't mind it

Zil, your deluded words are more than enough - don’t sign off on your posts with a self portrait from your rabbit hole. Won’t someone think of the children? :-).

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
optus has a system and backup system, they test their software updates and can revert back if it fails, im sure of that

so the most obvious answer is not that someone messed up, if someone messed up then any number of these systems would have picked it up
Optus may have backup systems but those systems do not restore instantly once something fails. I'm a former systems administrator, and restoring failures takes time and is a real pain in the ass.

Rockford

Kennel Established
Gilded
Reaction score
Especially when the systems have already replicated their changes. It is very hierarchical so changes in the core get replicated very quickly and once they are out it is very hard/time consuming to fix/undo it. Especially when you don't have Console access and your OOB solutions use the same infra.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Gladys might do a Bradbury over this…
1700520888711.jpeg

Imagine how that will go down with @Rodzilla who said she was on Pfizer’s payroll as NSW Premier. So that can only mean that Pfizer is responsible for the Optus outage and hack - or - er - something :-).