Optimistic for 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Jack

Waterboy
Reaction score
Hi all,

New member here but long time reader and fan of the Kennel (love many of the opinions on here). Assuming that 2017 is a write off which it looks more and more
likely to be every week, I've put together a possible team for 2018 (barring a couple of positions) which I don't know who will cover them. I am actually very optimistic about this team pending on whether Des lets them play proper football or the plodding style that we've become accustomed to over the last 3/4 years. We have a great mix of youth and experience with many players being former, current and future rep players. This is only the team that I hope will be picked. Let me know what you guys think !

1. Will Hopoate (Played for NSW and Tonga)
2. Brett Morris (Played for NSW and Australia)
3. ?
4. Josh Morris (Played for NSW and Australia)
5. Marcelo Montoya
6. Kieran Foran (Played for New Zealand)
7. Matt Frawley
8. Aaron Woods (Played for NSW and Australia)
9. Moses Mbye - let's face it, we're stuck with him and I think this is his best position
10. James Graham (Played for England)
11. Josh Jackson (Played for NSW and Australia)
12. Adam Elliot
13. David Klemmer (Played for NSW and Australia)

Bench
14. Aidan Tolman - although I think Des will start him
15. Danny Fualolo
16. Francis Tualau
17. ?

Edit ** Just remembered Raymond Faitala-Mariner who will most likely be on the bench too next year, great future prospect alongside players like Fualolo, Elliot and Tualau

Last edited:

Raysie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Still feels really hard to be positive at the moment.

I still don't like the combo of Foran with either Frawley or Mbye. All 3 of these guys are left hand side players.

We need genuine strike power out wide also, and no one we have cuts it even close at the moment. We have no more money to spend, so what we see is what we have.

Captain Jack

Waterboy
Reaction score
Still feels really hard to be positive at the moment.

I still don't like the combo of Foran with either Frawley or Mbye. All 3 of these guys are left hand side players.

We need genuine strike power out wide also, and no one we have cuts it even close at the moment. We have no more money to spend, so what we see is what we have.
I think Mbye at hooker will be great (he passes the ball very quick off the ground, is lightning off the mark if he learns to pick and choose his times to run and has good defence although it was a bit shotty during the last game). Frawley, I agree with you, I'm unsure about but I'm not sure who else we could play on the right edge. Foran will bring the stability that we need, i'm absolutely certain of that unless he lets his off field dramas creep back in. In regards to outside backs, the Morris boys (if given decent ball) are amongst the best runners and defenders in the game, but unfortunately our style at the moment doesn't cater to them due to the length of time it takes for the ball to get out to the backs and the slow play the balls in the middle. Not to mention we have great young forwards coming through which the club has bought and developed from a young age (Fualolo, RFM, Elliot, Tualau and even a Klemmer who is only 23) and they will only get better alongside experienced forwards like Graham, Jackson and Woods.

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am still positive for next season so long as we get through this season without too many more scars. Think Foran will make a big difference.

Don't like Klemmer at lock want to see him where he should be as a front rower. As this season is a write off once Reynolds is back I want Mbye to be experimented at fullback as if he can read the play and organise the defence from the back, I think he could be a really good fullback and Hoppa could play in the centres.

Not sure who would play lock at this stage. Happy to see Eastwood and Kasiano go. We need fitter and more mobile forwards.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
I feel as if a lot has to play out between now and 2018 or atleast I hope it will. If there is no change before 2018 I really can't see Foran alone carrying us anywhere much higher on the table.

Last edited:

blueyedsamurai

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Unless Des changes things it doesn't really matter who's in the team, hopefully with all these losses he'll have no choice and be forced to make them.

Captain Jack

Waterboy
Reaction score
I am still positive for next season so long as we get through this season without too many more scars. Think Foran will make a big difference.

Don't like Klemmer at lock want to see him where he should be as a front rower. As this season is a write off once Reynolds is back I want Mbye to be experimented at fullback as if he can read the play and organise the defence from the back, I think he could be a really good fullback and Hoppa could play in the centres.

Not sure who would play lock at this stage. Happy to see Eastwood and Kasiano go. We need fitter and more mobile forwards.
I totally agree with you, I would love Klemmer in the front row but in reality he will be played at lock because Des will have Graham, Woods and even a Tolman there before him for some strange reason. My ideal starting forwards combo would be:

8. Klemmer
10. Woods
11. Elliot
12. Jackson
13. Fualolo/RFM

Mbye at fullback could work, the only thing I'd be worried about is his ability under the high ball but with his speed and cover defence (I've seen him run players down on a few occasions) he might be a good pick. Kasiano and Eastwood gone are probably the best things that could happen to the club, their body frames are not suited to the modern game. Look at all best teams they have lean, fit and strong forwards (the Roosters stand out in particular). Next year we could potentially have two 80 minute back rowers (Jackson and Elliot), two 80 minute front rowers (Graham and Tolman), woods and
Klemmer who can both play big minutes and fualolo+RFM who can both play massive minutes too off the bench (Fualolo played 73 minutes at lock against Cronulla from memory).

Captain Jack

Waterboy
Reaction score
I feel as if a lot has to play out between now and 2018 or atleast I hope it will. If there is no change before 2018 I really can't see Foran alone carrying us anywhere much higher on the table.
Foran will command the ball off the number 9, I can't Visualise him standing behind the forwards and waiting to get the ball off James Graham or Aidan Tolman. surely Hasler will be forced to change the playing style next year after signing a half that commands the ball.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Foran will command the ball off the number 9, I can't Visualise him standing behind the forwards and waiting to get the ball off James Graham or Aidan Tolman. surely Hasler will be forced to change the playing style next year after signing a half that commands the ball.
Yep that's how it "should" work but history has shown against reason.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I am sadly, and reluctantly starting to accept this year is a write off, but i really think that the addition of foran will allow/make hasler change his game plan drastically next year. The only trouble with this is, if we cant manage it now, then how will we cope if foran is injured??
For me, klemmer and woods HAVE TO BE our starting props!!! Stop fucking around des. I dont think its so strange to have a prop playing in this position these days as many clubs are doing it, but tolman or graham would work much better there in my opinion. Tolman would actually be my first choice. Play him for 80 mins and tell him to tackle all day and make a few runs. This way klemmer can just run hard from the back fence, and then after 20 mins interchange woods and klemmer for graham and either fualalo to'omaga or talau. Then use RFM as needed and have a utility on the bench. Perhaps someone like woolford or brown.
I have massive doubts over frawley though. I really dont think he is first grade quality week in week out. With some luck keighran or lewis can step up.
MMbye should never wear a 6 or 7 in my opinion. He needs to have a roving role with freedom and no burden of running the team. For fuck sake des, put him at fullback and shift hoppa to the centres.
Mbye may go alright at hooker, but id rather see him at fullback.

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Unless Des changes things it doesn't really matter who's in the team, hopefully with all these losses he'll have no choice and be forced to make them.
I think Foran is the sign for change. He just.isn't a player you sign to have him ten metres back. He plays up on the advantage line and straight. And if he is playing the same structures then Des an absolute fuckwitt and Foran is as dumb as fuck for signing.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Two key ingredients for the style of football we play are a crafty kicking game to take advantage of good momentum from forwards and quick service to the forwards so they're running full tilt to provide that momentum in the first place. We have seen poor service from Lichaa despite th he fact that his season started with some improvement in that regard. He's regressed though. We either have to promote a young hooker or hope brown or possibly another cheap one comes. To the club to fix both these issues.

Foran has partly solved our lack of kicking game while Frawley could still grow into th he role also. To me Mbye still hasn't shown he's willing to play as a half. He's a good athlete but not a plotter. He can't kick and rarely takes the line on before passing. Reynolds isn't popular with everyone here but he does actually try to engage the defense before passing most of the time. Sadly he's gone next year though.

Anyway I'm still hopeful that our roster fires next year. I think that th he team has plummeted in terms of being competitive recently but still has the quality to push into the finals and hopefully give Reynolds a chance for a good send off. Next year hopefully we're capable of dominating throughout the season and being a side that makes others nervous.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
I have huge question mark on Frawley!!

As others have said Foran will comand the ball from DH and he will play both sides of the ruck.
So not sure what value Frawley would be?

Also I see others again are saying Mybe at fullback.
WHY????
Has anyone seen him play fullback??

Because:-

1. How do you see him reading the defensive play at fullback? His defence this season has been terrible.

2. He goes missing now at halfback during the game. What would be be like at fullback because he drops his head and just tunes out of games when the opposition are on top.

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I totally agree with you, I would love Klemmer in the front row but in reality he will be played at lock because Des will have Graham, Woods and even a Tolman there before him for some strange reason. My ideal starting forwards combo would be:

8. Klemmer
10. Woods
11. Elliot
12. Jackson
13. Fualolo/RFM

Mbye at fullback could work, the only thing I'd be worried about is his ability under the high ball but with his speed and cover defence (I've seen him run players down on a few occasions) he might be a good pick. Kasiano and Eastwood gone are probably the best things that could happen to the club, their body frames are not suited to the modern game. Look at all best teams they have lean, fit and strong forwards (the Roosters stand out in particular). Next year we could potentially have two 80 minute back rowers (Jackson and Elliot), two 80 minute front rowers (Graham and Tolman), woods and
Klemmer who can both play big minutes and fualolo+RFM who can both play massive minutes too off the bench (Fualolo played 73 minutes at lock against Cronulla from memory).
Yeah the high ball is another thing to consider with Mbye. The Klemmer thing was more my wish as you're 100% right Des will still pick him at lock.

If only we kept Finucane and we'd have a mobile 80 minute back row. In saying that RFM and Fualalo seem good enough options.

I did see another suggestion of Tolman at lock, maybe that solves the Klemmer front row issue too.

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

As others have said Foran will comand the ball from DH and he will play both sides of the ruck.

WHY????

1. How do you see him reading the defensive play at fullback? His defence this season has been terrible.

2. He goes missing now at halfback during the game. What would be be like at fullback because he drops his head and just tunes out of games when the opposition are on top.
That's why I want the full back experiment with Mbye to happen as soon as Reynolds comes back this season and not next year. Our season is a write off in terms of winning the comp.

You can't hide as a fullback so he has no choice there. He can be a devastating ball runner and if in the clear would beat most players to the line. He can also throw a nice pass which would be useful when linking up with the backline.

If the other aspects are okay I think he is a ready made fullback.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
In the fair dinkum department, our forward line up for 2018 should be:

Woods
Mbye
Klemmer
Jackson
Elliott
Graham

Bench:
Tolman
Fualalo
RFM
Brown

Our backline is missing some strike power, only B.Morris and Brenko look likely (Brenko's defence though is horrendous).

Hoppa, J.Morris, Montoya, Holland are all considered "safe" players.

We will see improvements next year, but I think our rebuilding will continue on for 2/3 years before we are back to being a "top 4" team.. and that's being positive.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
If we can move on graham, tolman, lichaa, eastwood, kasiano. Clear all the dead wood.

Ok we lose a ton of experience but with a proper game plan woods and klemmer can be devastating and can play big mins.

Then all we need is a few young firebrands for the bench. Someone who wants to prove themselves. If we can't find a few kids like that (come on we are the bulldogs, where are all our young forwards gone) all you need is a couple a young guys to come on a rattle some cages and run onto the ball. Foran should be able to handle the rest.

With that we should have coin left over for a good dummy half. I know it's probably late but we should go peats.

Hoppa would be a gun centre or winger, strong, powerful and good defender in the line. It suits his attributes much better to fullback.

I think I made a call for mbye to fullback a few years ago. He has all the skills of a fullback and as a 3rd string play maker he should do well. He possesses a passing and kicking game (not great) but I think he can use it better playing out of the back then in the line. In all honesty on his coin he can't play hooker. You over spending almost double what you would for a makeshift hooker. If he can develop as a fullback you will have a poor mans barba who on 800k would come cheap. Could be a game charger in broken field running. And his speed and acceleration will be great for defending at the back.

He was a fullback coming through all the grade and actually never played halfback until first grade and it shows.

If you can move the Morris boys on you can get a few gun backs. But then again they only have a few years left and they contribute enough to keep them. Just their price tag is mind blowing.

1. Mbye/Morris
2. Morris
3. Hoppa
4. Morris
5. Montoya
6. Foran
8. Klemmer
10. Woods
11. Jackson
12. Elliot

14. Fualalo

7 you either have to go Frawley or recruit. And I don't think we have enough coin to go a quality half. And then again 2 dominant halves never work. If Maloney was available we would throw some coin at him but again we will be left with 2 genuine 5/8. This will be an issue for us next year but you think, when has storm ever had a decent 5/8? So you can have a passenger as long as your main half is dominant.

9. You almost have to go peats or someone of that quality. An 80 min hooker that can run when required can knock off 40-45 tacked a game and has the vision and passing ability to create overlaps. 650 on peats is worth it because he makes you a top 4 team.

13. We need a mobile, hard hitting, hard running lock. No more slow props. Hasler formation hasn't worked for ages and actually fucks us up. We need someone like Eastwood from 2009-2014. Not sure who is available but Paul Vaughn would have been good. Or even the west tigers dude I forgot his name but he has been solid, can ball play and has a bit of toe.

Lock is your worker position. You don't need a superstar there. And klemmers role isn't suited to there.

The bench will be a mixture of youth and up and comers. Please no more 30 year old battlers. Let's pick up some young firebrands and give them a go. Think napa back 2-3 years or even Kane Evans when he first started out. They would come on a smash the opposition. Ok it didn't always work out. But they will only get 20-25 mins max in the rotation. So all you need is a few nutters. So long as we don't have fat/unfit forwards on the bench we will do well. Not sure what we have in our junior stock at the moment, but we always had some of the best props or second rowers coming through. But I guess with haslers and cleals recruitment we probably shed them at 16 and picked up 26 year old q cup players instead.

With a few more decent signings we are a top 4 team. With a better game plan and a fitter team we should be a premiership contender. Only problem is our coach, our structure and the board are all fucked.

I was happy to give Hasler a shot this year as his final chance but he dropped the ball. So unless he can win us a premiership in the next 2 years he will be a failure in my eyes.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score

WHY????

That's not fair, Mbye is generally pretty good in defence. If you have big units coming at you all day you have to expect to miss an odd one here or there and in any event FBs usually only make 2 or 3 tackles a game and usually as cover tackles rather than in the line. That said I can't see our halves being anything other than Foran and Mbye next year and either Woolford or Brown at 9. Brown didn't do a lot against us the other day but he showed some skills with the ball so he could be useful for us. He hasn't played FB ever as far as I know but he is fit, fast, can pass and he is a footy player. I think with a good offseason he could be the kind of FB we are looking for. That would put Hoppa in the centre position and really add to our backline. That might add Lee to the wing and with his speed, step and ability to break a tackle could make things interesting.

BMOC

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Richie Kennar at 3 please. He is a much faster and agile version of Inu/ Lafai. This guy is a machine and want to break the TV each time i do not see him there. Otherwise i am sure Brenko is capable of improving defence so he is also a suitable candidate.
Moses Mbye cannot shift to Hooker. This will be a big mistake. Other than a crisp pass he will not offer a speedy service. He will frustrate us, will not make darting runs out of dummy half. This position needs a new face badly. I think Nu Brown or Woolford is much better option than Mbye. I think Mbye in the 6 next to Foran will work just fine. he will connect well with Foran. He will offer a support play to Foran's line breaks.

Status
Not open for further replies.