News Open market for NRL off-contract stars as November deadline looms

XR6T

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
DAILYTELEGRAPH ›
Open market for NRL off-contract stars as November deadline looms
OCTOBER 19, 2018
IN just 12 days time the NRL player market will explode into life with more than 160 players free to negotiate new deals.

Players who come off contract at the end of the 2019 season will be able to test their value on the open market from November 1.

Expect Parramatta to dominate the headlines with 12 first graders from their current roster — including stars Clint Gutherson, Mitchell Moses and Corey Norman — free to talk with rival clubs.

Fox League’s Matty Johns says the Eels would be mad to let the versatile Gutherson slip away.

“He’s one of their shining lights. I think even in grim times he has been terrific, they lost him at the back end of 2017 and that really hurt them,” Johns said.

Clint Gutherson is one of several Eels players coming off contract. Picture: Getty Images
“It’s been a tough season for Moses but that happens as a young playmaker. You go through peaks and troughs.

“I have a lot of time for him. I like him as player, I like his confidence. It takes a long time to understand your own game as a playmaker. He’s still in that phase.”

Like Gutherson, Johns says young gun Matt Dufty is the kind of player that is worth a long-term investment and St George Illawarra should extend his contract.

With backs Nene Macdonald switching to North Queensland and veteran Jason Nightingale hanging up the boots, Johns says the Dragons should persist with Dufty despite some teething problems in his first full year of NRL.

MORE NRL NEWS

Huge payday looms as Souths aim to tie down star

“Duty is a definite for them. One of the toughest things for young players is to hold their form all the way through the year. They start to get a little tired two-thirds of the way through, the training is hard, the physicality is hard and finding week to week consistency is hard.

“But if you look at what he did at the start of the season he was just electric. That’s the indicator of what he’s about and what he can do. Once he’s in his third or fourth year in first grade he’ll start lasting the distance and they’ll get the best out of him.

Matt Dufty is a key piece of the Dragons’ future. Picture: Gregg Porteous
Speculation won’t go away that firebrand forward Dylan Napa is on the chopping block at the Sydney Roosters.

“Napa is very aggressive and he’s had suspensions, he always sails close to the wind but in a lot of ways that’s an asset for the Roosters as it showed at the end of the year,” Johns said.

“The game has changed, it’s gotten faster but you still need those big hard heads in the middle of the field like him.

Johns also sees the case for the Queenslander to walk away from the Bondi club and says it could help to further his development as a forward.

“Sometimes players need a change. There was discussion earlier in the year that Newcastle and some other clubs were interested,” he said.

“As a former Newcastle player I saw enormous upside to getting Dylan Napa to the club.

“But after winning the premiership, it’s one of those things as far as salary cap is concerned.

“Do the Roosters move on a couple of their more experienced forwards to make way for the younger guys like Napa in the long-term? But it’s not something you do if you don’t think your younger guys aren’t as good.”

Could Dylan Napa be on the way out of the Roosters? Picture: Getty Images
At the foot of the mountains, playmaker Jarome Luai will extend his time at Penrith beyond 2019, in part due to the uncertainty surrounding James Maloney. Maloney is contracted until the end of 2020 but there are questions as to whether his body can handle two more seasons of NRL football.

Jarome Luai is set to extend his stay at Penrith. Picture: AAP
Johns says a halves pairing of Cleary and Luai is the right move long-term.

“He just brings so much energy into that side. Talking to Nathan Cleary, he and Jarome have played a lot of their junior football together and they know each other so well,” he said.

“In time they will develop into a good combination.

“Even if the Panthers at the moment see that their No.1 combination is Maloney and Cleary, certainly the future is Cleary and Jarome.”

PLAYERS OFF-CONTRACT IN 2019

BRONCOS

Five players off contract: Patrick Carrigan, George Fai, Alex Glenn, Joe Ofahengaue, Andre Savelio

RAIDERS

Eight players off contract: Brad Abbey, Luke Bateman, Setefano Hala, Ata Hingano, Liam Knight, Jordan Rapana, Joseph Tapine, Sam Williams

BULLDOGS

Seven players off contract: Fa’amanu Brown, Danny Fualalo, Michael Lichaa, Rhyse Martin, Ofahiki Ogden, John Olive, Francis Tualau

SHARKS

11 players off contract: Kurt Capewell, Sosaia Feki, Wade Graham, Aaron Gray, Valentine Holmes, Billy Magoulias, Toby Rudolf, Ava Seumanufagai, Scott Sorensen, Cruz Topai-Aveai, Braden Uele

TITANS

Five players off contract: Jesse Arthars, Michael Gordon, Ryley Jacks, Brenko Lee, Jack Stockwell

SEA EAGLES

12 players off contract: Manase Fainu, Jack Gosiewski, Trent Hodkinson, Brad Parker, Lloyd Perrett, Toafofoa Sipley, Kelepi Tanginoa, Jorge Taufua, Joel Thompson, Dylan Walker, Frank Winterstein, Matthew Wright

STORM

Four players off contract: Patrick Kaufusi, Cameron Munster, Joe Stimson, Christian Welch

WARRIORS

12 players off contract: Blake Ayshford, James Gavet, Shaun Johnson, Solomone Kata, Karl Lawton, Issac Luke, Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad, Agnatius Paasi, Ligi Sao, Lewis Soosemea, Jazz Tevaga, Joseph Vuna

KNIGHTS

Three players off contract: Lachlan Fitzgibbon, Slade Griffin, Shaun Kenny-Dowall

COWBOYS

20 players off contract: Carlin Anderson, Kurt Baptiste, Ben Barba, Logan Bayliss-Brow, Scott Bolton, Gavin Cooper, Reuben Cotter, Tom Gilbert, Ben Hampton, Coen Hess, Corey Jensen, Javid Bowen Ethan Lowe, Te Maire Martin, Gideon Mosby-Gela, Justin O’Neill, Matthew Scott, Murray Taulagi, Enari Tuala, Kurt Wiltshire

EELS

13 players off contract: Daniel Alvaro, Bevan French, Clinton Gutherson, Josh Hoffman, Shaun Lane, Greg Leleisiuao, Manu Ma’u, Reed Mahoney, Tim Mannah, Tepai Moeroa, Mitchell Moses, Corey Norman, Brad Takairangi

PANTHERS

Nine players off contract: Jarome Luai, Waqa Blake, Jed Cartwright, Wayde Egan, James Fisher-Harris, Tim Grant, Jack Hetherington, Sione Katoa, Sam McKendry

RABBITOHS

20 players off contract: Dean Britt, George Burgess, Thomas Burgess, Braidon Burns, Damien Cook, Joshua Cook, Jacob Gagan, Campbell Graham, Dean Hawkins, Mawene Hiroti, Matt McIlwrick, Cameron Murray, Mark Nicholls, Bayley Sironen, Lucky Ta’avale, Siosifa Talakai, Tevita Tatola, Tyrone Taukamo, Connor Tracey, Kyle Turner

DRAGONS

13 players off contract: Matthew Dufty, Jai Field, James Graham, Josh Kerr, Jeremy Latimore, Blake Lawrie, Joe Lovodua, Kurt Mann, Steven Marsters, Darren Nicholls, Reece Robson, Tristan Sailor, Tariq Sims

ROOSTERS

Six players off contract: Mitchell Aubusson, Cooper Cronk, Joshua Curran, Dylan Napa, Zane Tetevano, Sitili Tupouniua

WESTS TIGERS

16 players off contract: Josh Aloiai, Luke Brooks, Michael Chee-Kam, Robbie Farah, Mahe Fonua, Tyson Gamble, Luke Garner, Chris Lawrence, Jacob Liddle, Benji Marshall, Sam McIntyre, Thomas Mikaele, Robbie Rochow, Dylan Smith, Corey Thompson

Fair few can negotiate.....should we/can we entice anyone from this list.

Thoughts?

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Not a great deal of talent to be honest. Lots of older players coming to the end. Munster the standout. I'd go all out for Waqa Blake. Obviously would love Cook back also.

Donkey Slayer

Banned
Reaction score
Fking broncos re-signed all the good ones this year enough to fume ...

Cook needs to wake up and sign back here

Munster come to belmore mate the big 3 are dead lol... Be the big 2 with lachie

Holmes to lol might aswell jump on board i dont think he wants peptides in his body lol stay in sydney and party up

jasonsmith11

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
we dont want anyone who will get injured if they have a form slump

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The only three players that would take our team to the next level are Munster, Holmes, and Cook but none of which would even consider us. I think we would be stupid not to suss out the situation with Dufty, could be a great long-term solution for us at the back.

Straight18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The only three players that would take our team to the next level are Munster, Holmes, and Cook but none of which would even consider us. I think we would be stupid not to suss out the situation with Dufty, could be a great long-term solution for us at the back.
Dufty does not have a big enough ticker to be a bulldog. He showed that clearly in my eyes this season.

Straight18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The kid meaney we already got coming was giving his all for newcastle knowing they could not even make the semis nor is even contracted to that club next season. On other hand dufty was behind best forward pack in comp, he wanted 700, 000 thousand a season and saints said no, then he dogged it and wanted games off and shit cause he felt a bit tired, right when the club and his team needed him most he wanted holidays and time to text his boyfriends. Dean pay hates that pussy shit u will not see him here.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
I thought we tied up martin and lichaa till the end of 2019.

Grunthos

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can we still keep Clealand or has he gone for good?

Paulie Gualtieri

Previously Shrimp
Reaction score
Munster, Cook and Holmes would be nice. The next contract Holmes signs will be with the Cowboys though

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Munster, Cook and Holmes would be nice. The next contract Holmes signs will be with the Cowboys though
Yeah, its probably one of the worst kept secrets in the NRL, its the reason the Cowboys only signed Barba on a 1-year deal. Storm will have Slater's money to upgrade Munster and we won't be able to match that, and Cooks already said that he wants to stay at Souths and they are obviously very keen to keep him. Its a shame really as all three could've helped us immensely.

Paulie Gualtieri

Previously Shrimp
Reaction score
Yeah, its probably one of the worst kept secrets in the NRL, its the reason the Cowboys only signed Barba on a 1-year deal. Storm will have Slater's money to upgrade Munster and we won't be able to match that, and Cooks already said that he wants to stay at Souths and they are obviously very keen to keep him. Its a shame really as all three could've helped us immensely.
Agreed, I imagine all three of those boys have their futures sortes and probably did mid year

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I'm happy to wait for Cotric and a gun hooker.

EB18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We need a centre or even 2 centres. Maybe even a fb if Meaney flops. On that list id sign Dylan Walker, Waqa Blake or Jordan Rapana. I know we dont need forwards but fuck id love to get Joseph Tapine.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
If so, they are free agents November 1st for 2020 contract year, which I think the article is about?

~c.
Yeh u are right. Why are they doing a story on who is free to sign for 2020? Didnt expect that. I don't even know most of who is out of contract this year yet

off-tap-robbie

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeh u are right. Why are they doing a story on who is free to sign for 2020? Didnt expect that. I don't even know most of who is out of contract this year yet
Because they can sign with anyone from the 1st November this year. That's like in 11 days

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Also we need to look at young Tom Johnstone from Wakefield. Would come cheap and a very willing player with great speed and finishing ability. Plenty of gun backs we can pinch if we wait to 2021. Cotric, Staggs, Manu... also Brimson and Turbo are off contract. If club plays their cards right, we should have a gun backline