Status
Not open for further replies.

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
You had high hopes for i.e rep level, who disappointed you and never really kicked on like you thought they would.

For me, Ben Harris. I still remember the game he got 3 tries v Knights in 03. Killed it.

bLaQDoG..

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Ben Harris may have never made it to rep level - but he was definitely one of our best centres of the decade. He played some great games for us.

For me, it would probably be Darryl Millard. I had high hopes for that bloke.

Actually no - Brett Howland.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bry

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Luke Goodwin. Tore it up in the first few months of '93 then just went to **** and played for the Reds.

Shanghai Dog

Campsie/Yangtze
Reaction score
Good question and good answers. Elsegood looked great as a rookie.

I think the players who generate high hopes are often guys you hope will cover for the retirement or exit of a great player like Mortimer, Lamb or Price. History shows that they rarely live up to the pressure/expectations and it usually takes a couple of years to find a genuine replacement. This happened in 1988 (Mortimer), 1995 (Lamb) and 2004 (Price and others).

We were lucky, for example, to replace Harrigan with El Masri (better winger and equal as a goalkicker).

We all hoped Holdsworth would kick on after 2006 but it never happened. Nick Kouparitsas in 2007 was another player who generated high hopes.

I even think you could put guys like Maitua and SBW in that category because we should have been able to build a team around them. They never reached their true potential as players. You always hoped that they could become leaders - but they never did.

But if I had to name one guy, I would pick - Geordie Peats.

He was a hooker that had all the skills and he was tough too. I think he was affected by the cancer that came after 1988 premiership with Gould as coach anddefections to Ryan's Wests. He ended up fading away at Souths in the end I think - probably he was a junior there.

Special mention to Kyle White too - I talked about him another time on another forum. He was a real gun as a youngster who threw himself at the line - but never fulfilled his massive potential.

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
charlie tonga, hutch maiva, ben czlowski and billy ngawini.

i thought all of them would have been bigger duds. they proved me wrong by just being duds

Captain Kickass

Dirtbag Lifecoach
Reaction score
charlie tonga, hutch maiva, ben czlowski and billy ngawini.

i thought all of them would have been bigger duds. they proved me wrong by just being duds
Charlie had the worst luck ..... from memory he was getting over one broken leg, then broke the other.

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
when he wasnt doing that, he was dropping the ball cold lol

Bry

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
But if I had to name one guy, I would pick - Geordie Peats.

He was a hooker that had all the skills and he was tough too. I think he was affected by the cancer that came after 1988 premiership with Gould as coach anddefections to Ryan's Wests. He ended up fading away at Souths in the end I think - probably he was a junior there.

Special mention to Kyle White too - I talked about him another time on another forum. He was a real gun as a youngster who threw himself at the line - but never fulfilled his massive potential.
Geordi Peats was a good player, but I think he got punted when we signed Jim Serdaris. Can't remember if he was in reggies or left when we signed Serdaris. He was a good player but it would've been hard for him to make a name for himself with our ordinary side of 92.

Kyle White could put on a huge hit, but I don't think he was ever going to be a superstar, but he was one of my favourite players back then. One of the biggest hits ive ever seen was at Belmore against Illawarra in about 1990. He hit their player with a shoulder charge and it knocked him back about 5 metres. I wish their was footage of it but it was the old days when only a few games were televised.

5/8

Loyal Royal Blue & White
Reaction score
james pickering,he could have been anyhting,good runner of the footy and could hit real hard.then the chooks grabbed him,and we all know what that does for your career.

Captain Kickass

Dirtbag Lifecoach
Reaction score
james pickering,he could have been anyhting,good runner of the footy and could hit real hard.then the chooks grabbed him,and we all know what that does for your career.
Hang on - Maybe I was thinking of this guy ....... :confused:

S

Shermy

Geordi Peats son - Nathan Peats currently plays 20s for Souths and is also a hooker.

BulldogStar

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
You had high hopes for i.e rep level, who disappointed you and never really kicked on like you thought they would.

For me, Ben Harris. I still remember the game he got 3 tries v Knights in 03. Killed it.
Oh i loved Ben Harris! Had so much potential! That game against the KNights was one of my favourites! following his lady overseas really hurt his football career!

Chicharito

DOGGIES ARMY!!!
Reaction score
gotta say holdsworth...honestly this guy was an absolute astronomical fail after 06....i honestly thought that he was gonna go on and be a rep player but as he showed he failed miserably at that lol

R

rocky IV

lol i cant believe anyone likes that dud

i remember i think it was 08 and he made some 20m in the first match of the year, he was then an instant kennel superstar even though he did *** all for the rest of the year.

Chicharito

DOGGIES ARMY!!!
Reaction score
i dont think i will ever be more frustrated wih any player as i was with holdsworth...i got to the point where i cringed everytime i saw him play

w00t

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
i dont think i will ever be more frustrated wih any player as i was with holdsworth...i got to the point where i cringed everytime i saw him play
You and the rest of us...

A bit better in 2009 when he was just a bench player, but not much.

Chicharito

DOGGIES ARMY!!!
Reaction score
You and the rest of us...

A bit better in 2009 when he was just a bench player, but not much.
i just dnt understand how he lasted so many years...honestly if he was at any other club surely he would have gotten the sack ages ago

Status
Not open for further replies.