Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Kickass

Dirtbag Lifecoach
Reaction score
Giant waves as cyclone batters Fiji

PAUL TATNELL
March 15, 2010 - 4:56PM

Australians dreaming of a Fiji holiday face heartbreak today after tropical cyclone Tomas forced the cancellation of flights to the area.

The cyclone - classified a category four - is already battering the island's north coast with winds averaging up to 175km/h, the Fiji Meteorological Service (FMS) said.

Waves up to eight metres have also been reported.

More than 5000 people have now been evacuated from Fiji’s northern islands, with that figure soon expected to hit 7000.

Qantas, Air Pacific, V Australia and Virgin Blue have all cancelled or postponed flights to Fiji from Brisbane and Sydney. V Australia and Virgin Blue have also stopped flights from leaving Nadi.

Australian tourist Clare Melvin said she she was evacuated from her accommodation at Plantation Island yesterday afternoon.

"They basically said to us, 'If you've got kids, you should go,'" she said. "Everybody just jumped on this big boat and came back [to the mainland] and they just threw our luggage on the ground and we just all had to scramble for it. It was ridiculous."

FMS senior forecaster Matt Boterhoven said Cyclone Tomas had intensified overnight with the northern island of Vanua Levu most at risk. He predicted winds would be likely to peak at more than 200km/h in the next 24 hours.

"There's going to be a whole lot of flooding," he said.

"[It's a] very destructive hurricane force area so they'll be getting quite a battering over the next 12 hours."

A 31-year-old woman was reportedly swept away by strong ocean currents on Friday after she saved her two children from a storm surge, a police spokesman said.

The cyclone has left some towns without power with officials also warning low-lying areas they will be prone to flooding.

The Australian Department of Foreign Affairs has warned travellers that a curfew will be in force from 8pm today until early tomorrow.

****************************************​

Our Kurry is on holidays enjoying an all-expenses paid p*ss-up with a buddy of hers on a 21st.

If she was able to get on here I'd tell her to (a) stay indoors and keep safe, and (b) stockpile the bourbon because she could be stuck for a while !

Moe

Moderatwhore
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
shiit go

I feel fo her. would be spewing if it happened to me :(

Also feel for the locals......

bLaQDoG..

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Best of luck to her, hopefully she still enjoys her holiday.

bLaQDoG..

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
why the **** did i laugh out loud at this?
LOL harsh. Go to the trance thread btw I got a song that will make you jizz and fall asleep at the same time

top_dawg

Kennel Established
Reaction score
whats happening with our world, it seems to be one drama after another around the globe........the end is near.....lol

I

I R Cookie

oh sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet.

i'm sure her and the crew will be ok. poor timing girls lol.

FaceBreaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Where abouts in Fiji did she go ?

I'm sure she will be ok, Nadi area is fine so hopefully she is around there.

BootS

Danned
Reaction score
Was there a bombing contest at her resort pool?

~stacie

Michael Ennis ♥
Reaction score
I hope you're safe wherever you are, Kurry <3

Status
Not open for further replies.