Old school Bulldogs and their schools

FiloAzkal77

New Pup
Reaction score
Old school Bulldogs first grade players you went to school with in the past.

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I finished School in 1971. Bankstown Boys High.

In my year were 2 players who played lots of lower grades. Ken Israel and Ron (Corky) Harmer.

In the year behind was former Newtown Prop Steve Bowden one of the protagonists in the 1981 semi final fight with Mark Broadhurst. We all knew at school that Steve was handy with his fists.

The other thing about that stoush with Broadhurst was if you look closely at the video, the nearest touch judge was Ian McCall who was a Science Teacher at the school and would have known about Bowden, yet tried to break up the fight. Not clever.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
i don't have much too add.

A guy in my year at school, Brett Robertson, was a handy player who scored a super league contract with the dogs at the end of school (95) and playing in the reggies grand final of 97.

Our FG captain that year i think was Simon Gillies. Gillies when to Yanco Ag High School, who usually thrashed my high school (Leeton High) in the Uni Shield etc. The Gillies bros were pretty legendary locally. Yanco has produced quite a few NRL players, esp in the 90s, but not many these days.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
i don't have much too add.

A guy in my year at school, Brett Robertson, was a handy player who scored a super league contract with the dogs at the end of school (95) and playing in the reggies grand final of 97.

Our FG captain that year i think was Simon Gillies. Gillies when to Yanco Ag High School, who usually thrashed my high school (Leeton High) in the Uni Shield etc. The Gillies bros were pretty legendary locally. Yanco has produced quite a few NRL players, esp in the 90s, but not many these days.
Any particular reason for the decline in production?

Trinfly

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
No footy players but in 85 Warren Ryan was my PE teacher .... Belmore Boys where ever he went there were 20 kids around him.