Opinion Off contract players 2021

Roger the alien

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We need to get rfm back coming off bench for impact less time less injuries with him

Keep jacko cuz

Let Elliott and Flanagan go asap hiw much does that free up 900k ? Taumalolo right here
Promote Bailey Boindi Odo
Issue I have with Jacko is that with the rule changes and speed of the game, you need fast damaging ball runners that can hit a hole, jackson hasn't done this in years. He needs to play less minutes to be effective. I'd rather a TPJ playing 80% of the game than a Jackson playing 100% ofthegame for the same price.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
If talking depth signings imo Okunbor stays subject to a satisfactory return next month the conundrum being can we keep both Meaney and Okunbor as depth?
Think the OP has nearly nailed who i would keep except add Okunbur maybe delete JMK.Ava might be 50/50 depending on who we buy props wise but has been serviceable to decent, so far the best of our depth/bench props in just a few games and has even started maybe twice due to injury and suspension.

What is Deitz's contract status, if any? should he get another year as depth or JMK? lot depends on Cheese or another good 9 acquisition also but one should get a gig you would think, imo Deitz would possibly be cheaper and the better option.

As for obvious buys well who is the gun grunt prop we could "steal"? We clearly need one i think a couple of kennellers may have good mail who is being targeted i have nfi but the usual ones mentioned like JT, Haas or TPJ third pick one of these would be awesome.
Secondary but good props like Taupau, Afoa or Liu should be on the radar maybe sign 2 if the gun buy doesn't eventuate(this scenario would put retaining Ava in doubt i suppose)one is needed to start with Thommo and Marty may be that man(hoping to see more of it but he was fucking awesome last week).

We have some major form issues with contracted second rowers atm namely JJ, Elliott, Waddell, Stimson and even Doorey of whom at least a couple are on decent coin so not sure unless we shift some if new second rowers are viable to even look at.
Until just now had completely forgotten about RFM too hopefully one of these guys goes to Melbourne as a swap deal we're stacked but their all pretty plain or have been unavailable in Ray's case, had not given it much thought but fuck its a fairly big problem for us really.

Like Josh Curran as a player too he is promising only 21 and has been going good at the Warriors this year, could well be a good buy and potentially much better than Tevaga.Though i think the abovementioned issue makes buying more second rowers a no go zone particularly a high end/prominent player like a Capewell for eg.

Bit of a novel apologies, but that's my take on things.

Roger the alien

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We have some major form issues with contracted second rowers atm namely JJ, Elliott, Waddell, Stimson and even Doorey of whom at least a couple are on decent coin so not sure unless we shift some if new second rowers are viable to even look at.
Until just now had completely forgotten about RFM too hopefully one of these guys goes to Melbourne as a swap deal we're stacked but their all pretty plain or have been unavailable in Ray's case, had not given it much thought but fuck its a fairly big problem for us really.
Bingo, we have too many second rowers on big coin that are all cut from the same mold and it's not the mold that will win you games.

Mattreneeandgus

Kennel Established
Reaction score
If talking depth signings imo Okunbor stays subject to a satisfactory return next month the conundrum being can we keep both Meaney and Okunbor as depth?
Think the OP has nearly nailed who i would keep except add Okunbur maybe delete JMK.Ava might be 50/50 depending on who we buy props wise but has been serviceable to decent, so far the best of our depth/bench props in just a few games and has even started maybe twice due to injury and suspension.

What is Deitz's contract status, if any? should he get another year as depth or JMK? lot depends on Cheese or another good 9 acquisition also but one should get a gig you would think, imo Deitz would possibly be cheaper and the better option.

As for obvious buys well who is the gun grunt prop we could "steal"? We clearly need one i think a couple of kennellers may have good mail who is being targeted i have nfi but the usual ones mentioned like JT, Haas or TPJ third pick one of these would be awesome.
Secondary but good props like Taupau, Afoa or Liu should be on the radar maybe sign 2 if the gun buy doesn't eventuate(this scenario would put retaining Ava in doubt i suppose)one is needed to start with Thommo and Marty may be that man(hoping to see more of it but he was fucking awesome last week).

Like Josh Curran as a player too he is promising only 21 and has been going good at the Warriors this year, could well be a good buy and potentially much better than Tevaga.Though i think the abovementioned issue makes buying more second rowers a no go zone particularly a high end/prominent player like a Capewell for eg.

Okunbor is the big one for me, surely he isn’t on that much coin, and has shown when he is on the field, he is one of our better players, if we have him on the wing, then our outside needs to fit
Allan
Jac
Naden
Cotric
Dwz
Meaney
Averillo possibly if not in halves, or off bench?
Or can we turn Okunbor into our Kikau, wide running second rower?

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Okunbor is the big one for me, surely he isn’t on that much coin, and has shown when he is on the field, he is one of our better players, if we have him on the wing, then our outside needs to fit
Allan
Jac
Naden
Cotric
Dwz
Meaney
OK was a 2ndrower so thats a possibility. His problem, like Meaney, is they don't appear to be aggressive enough runners and too passive to capitalise on their strengths.

silva

Utility
Reaction score
Connor watsons an underrated player creates a lot in attack and a winner. Can’t believe he’s not starting at Newcastle

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Allan
Jac
Naden
Cotric
Dwz
Meaney
I don’t see the big need to re-sign Okunbor. He’s gonna have to return in the back half of this year and have a pretty big impact to warrant a new contract here.

He’s 24 years old, only managed to play 13 first grade games (half of which have been shockers), he’s caused us major problems off the field, and appears to be somewhat injury prone. As it stands I don’t think he deserves to be re-signed.

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I don’t see the big need to re-sign Okunbor. He’s gonna have to return in the back half of this year and have a pretty big impact to warrant a new contract here.

He’s 24 years old, only managed to play 13 first grade games (half of which have been shockers), he’s caused us major problems off the field, and appears to be somewhat injury prone. As it stands I don’t think he deserves to be re-signed.
I think you give him one more contract and do the permanent move to back row to see if he can be something there

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Issue I have with Jacko is that with the rule changes and speed of the game, you need fast damaging ball runners that can hit a hole, jackson hasn't done this in years. He needs to play less minutes to be effective. I'd rather a TPJ playing 80% of the game than a Jackson playing 100% ofthegame for the same price.
The harsh reality is Jacko is being paid 700K to be a tackling machine and we need more for that kind of money, Napa is in the same boat, a Prop hitting it up 5 times a game and giving us 30mins @ 650k.. next.

Eliott has lost his motivation to rip in since the pre-season drama has subsided, maybe he feels like he’s repaid the faithful? was like a man possessed when he had to earn the trust of the playing group again.. completely missing now.

Waddell, tries hard but just short of that dominance we need in that role. Atoni should be ahead of him and starting.

Averillo is living off glimpses of good football. We all tend to remember his 1 show and go versus Eels and his 1 decent game v Storm... that’s it after 10 rounds and everyone is still talking him up to be our saviour.. I hope so. Sam Walker is 18 in a team with plenty of injuries 4 tries and 10 try assists in a handful of games.... that’s worth getting excited about, he looks like he belongs.

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
I think you give him one more contract and do the permanent move to back row to see if he can be something there
New contract to see if he can play a position that he was poor in barely 4-5 years ago? Surely not

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
New contract to see if he can play a position that he was poor in barely 4-5 years ago? Surely not
The problem is you can write absolutely everybody off that's available or up for re-signing. They're all flawed.

Eventually we're going to have to take a couple swings I think.

Jayden Okunbor at least has the physical tools to be something, play a year in CCup on an edge and see if we can develop somebody who could be a budget Kikau.

Mattreneeandgus

Kennel Established
Reaction score
The problem is you can write absolutely everybody off that's available or up for re-signing. They're all flawed.

Jayden Okunbor at least has the physical tools to be something, play a year in CCup on an edge and see if we can develop somebody who could be a budget Kikau.
Exactly, and unfortunately every player can’t be on 800k, for the money, I think if he keeps developing and can stay injury free, could be one of the good cheapies, every team needs

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score

I’m not doing that at all. I think my list of players I’d re-sign is longer than most on here are putting forward.

With regards to your Okunbor proposal - you could throw him in the back row in Ron Massey Cup and he’s still not gonna perform like a budget Kikau. I’ve seen enough to know it’s not gonna happen. He doesn’t have it. It’s wing or nothing for Jayden and he’s gonna need to come home with a wet sail this season to earn a new contract. Improvements need to be shown in his handling, defensive reads and finishing.

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I’m not doing that at all. I think my list of players I’d re-sign is longer than most on here are putting forward.

With regards to your Okunbor proposal - you could throw him in the back row in Ron Massey Cup and he’s still not gonna perform like a budget Kikau. I’ve seen enough to know it’s not gonna happen. He doesn’t have it. It’s wing or nothing for Jayden and he’s gonna need to come home with a wet sail this season to earn a new contract. Improvements need to be shown in his handling, defensive reads and finishing.
"You" as In "we" can write everybody off whose available etc.

Yeah maybe not, I'm not married to the idea and I don't rate him him much at all. I don't think he'd have a lot of interest otherwise so it's a pretty low risk gamble imo but we need to manufacture some strike in the backrow, RFM can't stay healthy and the rest of the guys are undersized, workers.

No one is talking about how bad it is that we missed out on Talakai.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score

He has played that role before. He would need to improve his lateral movement in defence but I agree he is worth keeping as a winger and back up edge player

pupmichelle

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

You mentioned that we have backrowers who are not firing. I agree with you that every single backrower has been dreadful, though i think alot of it has to do with the misfiring of our halves who are not engaging the line and hitting our backrowers into space

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
You mentioned that we have backrowers who are not firing. I agree with you that every single backrower has been dreadful, though i think alot of it has to do with the misfiring of our halves who are not engaging the line and hitting our backrowers into space
Still think most are borderline unfortunately which is a worry going forward, indeed Burto could put them into space next year but none really strike me as big hole runners.One alternate idea i nearly suggested in my novel was Hetho to transition(or Atoni)to an edge? We have a shortage of decent middles though so is there any suitable backrower to swap to make that work, again doubtful? and could such a transition work with either of those 2 blokes idk?

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
The harsh reality is Jacko is being paid 700K to be a tackling machine and we need more for that kind of money
That's not actually correct, $200k is the Long Term Player allowance that from what I can tell no other player aside from Hopoate is illegible for, so we would lose that from our Cap. He is also the Captain, which usually adds $100k to $150k to their contract. We would have to give that to another player, whoever that is, to replace him as Captain. There is a car in his contract, so that's maybe $20k not included in our Cap plus if I remember rightly he has an Education allowance which could be another $20k or so. Hence in Cap terms (the only thing that actually matters) we are really paying him $400k to $450k and that's a very big if his contract value was actually $700k (which it isn't).

Go Dogs