Opinion Off contract players 2021

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You would not re-sign JMK and Katoa, so who would you put in as hooker on a short term deal?(year or two)
Make our own,topine the right size for a 9,obviously would have an off-season learning the intricacies of 9 play,but has the right attitude to succeed.

Sue

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Make our own,topine the right size for a 9,obviously would have an off-season learning the intricacies of 9 play,but has the right attitude to succeed.
You need a lot more than "one off-season" to manufacture a 9

We are not manufacturing anything

It's all up to the board to show us wgat they are made of.....

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bulldogs off contract keep Atoni and Meaney, rest can go.

Off Contract 2021: B.Ferguson, B.Burns, N.Hynes, C.Sironen, C.Watson, S.Johnson, A.Milford, M.Kenny, J.Tevaga, B,Afoa, K.Capewell... Not saying we should sign all or any of these blokes, just the best out of the list along with some value for money picks.
3 players I would add to the list to at least have a chat with all have an option in their favour for 2022 & we need to add grunt in the front row
- Paul Vaughan
- Jordan McLean (I think he is just about to peak)
- Herman Ese'ese

I might even consider the Roosters Isaac Liu, for his knowledge & work ethic at the Rorters.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
3 players I would add to the list to at least have a chat with all have an option in their favour for 2022 & we need to add grunt in the front row
- Paul Vaughan
- Herman Ese'ese

I might even consider the Roosters Isaac Liu, for his knowledge & work ethic at the Rorters.
fmd is this nasheeds dad

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
fmd is this nasheeds dad
They are all better than what we currently have my friend, & they're all available.
No use naming players to buy that aren't off contract & live in dreamland.
Unfortunately good props off contract are very limited.

Reactions: Sue

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
They are all better than what we currently have my friend, & they're all available.
No use naming players to buy that aren't off contract & live in dreamland.
Unfortunately good props off contract are very limited.
mclean is past his best, has been a fucking shit buy by the cowboys and Eses was un wanted by dogs then newcastle and now titans, he is fuckinh hopeless.
Vaughan has been on a downward spiral the last few years
what are you on about? glad you arent part of recruitment

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You need a lot more than "one off-season" to manufacture a 9

We are not manufacturing anything

It's all up to the board to show us wgat they are made of.....
Jake Turpin was a half 5/8 before transferring to hooker,Brandon Smith like wise,and there’s plenty of others.

• Haha

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
mclean is past his best, has been a fucking shit buy by the cowboys and Eses was un wanted by dogs then newcastle and now titans, he is fuckinh hopeless.
Who would you be targetting?

Roger the alien

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just because we have cap space for 22 doesn't mean we should waste it on more average players.
I know people are inpatient and I too want success now... but if the right players aren't available then we shouldn't bite, there's nothing available for 22 that will take us to the next level and if we waste it on more average players we will be handicapped again for years to come.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
- Paul Vaughan
- Herman Ese'ese

Agree with Vaughan and McLean, Hermen I'd pass on, I thought he looked unfit on the weekend

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We should give you the job.

• Haha

dogzofwar

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't understand why people wanna re-sign some of those guys, they've been bog average for years and thats not gonna change, so we can't have them waste our cap for years to come.
We need to move forward as a club and that means letting go of this era and moving on to a better one.
If we have to spend 95% of our cap the we should use it to rid ourselves of the remaining dead wood on ridiculous contracts.
I agree they have proven they are just reserve graders so save the money and just bring a few of the juniors into the top 30 and use the money elsewhere

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Meaney, Ogden, Atoni, and Lewis all keepers.
The players available for recruiting are not much better than our rejects.
B.Smith has agreed to stay in Melbourne.
When did he announce he is staying?

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Hodgson @ hooker if we can’t land the cheese
Havili/Rein/Walters as back up hooker.

Two or more from Bunty/Rudolph/Sipley/Mikaele/Tapau/Nichols @ Prop

One of Matt Dufty/Will Kennedy @ FB

One of Seb Chris/Gagai @ Centre

One of Nene McDonald/Tevita Funa/Edrick Lee/Blake Ferguson/Tupou/Ikavalu/Pereira/Tualagi @ wing

One or two of Tyrone Peachy/Dale Finucane/Curtis Sironen/Jazz Tevaga/Bryce Cartwright /Capewell /Su’a/Angus Crichton @ L/SR

Connor Watson/Corey Norman @5/8

Last edited:

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
I’m retaining Meaney, To’omaga, JMK, Lewis and C. Smith. Most of which for depth purposes on short term deals.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Hodgson @ hooker if we can’t land the cheese
Havili/Rein/Walters as back up hooker.

Two or more from Bunty/Rudolph/Sipley/Mikaele/Tapau/Nichols @ Prop

One of Matt Dufty/Will Kennedy @ FB

Seb Chris/Gagai @ Centre

One of Nene McDonald/Tevita Funa/Edrick Lee/Blake Ferguson/Tupou/Ikavalu/Pereira/Tualagi @ wing

One or two of Tyrone Peachy/Dale Finucane/Curtis Sironen/Jazz Tevaga/Bryce Cartwright /Capewell /Su’a/Angus Crichton @ L/SR

Connor Watson/Corey Norman @5/8
Seb Kris missed 6 tackles on the weekend... He's average imo.

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Meaney, Ogden, Atoni, and Lewis all keepers.
The players available for recruiting are not much better than our rejects.
B.Smith has agreed to stay in Melbourne.
Agree Lewis is a keeper. His D is legendary and lifts the team. Ask the players if they like playing more when he's on the field. Rudolf would be a good addition and JMK will be fine as hooker...with a better team around him. There doesn't appear to be a ready made hooker....so guess what guys.....shock horror....we look far and wide for the best 18 year old prospect AND DEVELOP HIM.

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't understand why people wanna re-sign some of those guys, they've been bog average for years and thats not gonna change, so we can't have them waste our cap for years to come.
We need to move forward as a club and that means letting go of this era and moving on to a better one.
If we have to spend 95% of our cap the we should use it to rid ourselves of the remaining dead wood on ridiculous contracts.
If only.....it's not simple to swap 8 players in and let 8 leave each year. To be enticed to leave a club you spend so much more than the low wages most of our guys are on. So we let 8 go costing say $2.4m and have to spend $3.2m to entice 8 fg standard players to join us.

Roger the alien

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If only.....it's not simple to swap 8 players in and let 8 leave each year. To be enticed to leave a club you spend so much more than the low wages most of our guys are on. So we let 8 go costing say $2.4m and have to spend $3.2m to entice 8 fg standard players to join us.
Maybe I just don't understand, but when I look at our salary cap negligence and think if we had those contracts off our books that
DWZ + Meaney + Stimson could be Paps and 2 rookies.
Jackson + RFM could be JFH and a rookie.
JMK + Lewis + Elliott could be Taumalolo and 2 rookies.
Or something like that, we could do so much more with that cap space. We need game changers if we wanna challenge the top sides, resigning the same plodders or other average players that are not much better and expecting a different result is insane to me.

Donkey Slayer

Banned
Reaction score
Maybe I just don't understand, but when I look at our salary cap negligence and think if we had those contracts off our books that
DWZ + Meaney + Stimson could be Paps and 2 rookies.
Jackson + RFM could be JFH and a rookie.
JMK + Lewis + Elliott could be Taumalolo and 2 rookies.
Or something like that, we could do so much more with that cap space. We need game changers if we wanna challenge the top sides, resigning the same plodders or other average players that are not much better and expecting a different result is insane to me.
We need to get rfm back coming off bench for impact less time less injuries with him

Keep jacko cuz

Let Elliott and Flanagan go asap hiw much does that free up 900k ? Taumalolo right here
Promote Bailey Boindi Odo