News Off-contract Marshall-King chasing more than just wins for Bulldogs

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Is he though? A perfect 14 primarily comes on and provides strike and secondarily covers multiple positions in the case of an injury.

Does JMK offer any strike whatsoever?
I think so.
I’ve never seen a JMK highlight package, but I imagine he would have a good one as he comes off with the odd good play and is extremely fast.
Also can easily cover half (he came into grade as a half). So he has 3 key position covered.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
True especially Mybe, but I remember being concerned that another club was going to poach him because he did look the goods for half a season.

I have always considered Elliot as below average.
I’m not blind to Elliotts fault but he’s the least of our worries.
he has a high ceiling and can rip up on his day.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Lichaa was not only not good enough for a nrl depth contract, he wasn’t good enough for a Canterbury cup contract or an England contract.
Our replacement for cook and Ennis.
That sums up our last few years clustermuck perfectly right there.
You seem to have a poor memory. Lichaa had played for NSW at U20s level & was considered a rising star. The big issue with him is that he was a running hooker & Hasler wanted a tackling machine hooker & tried to change his whole rugby league style. I feel sorry for him. If he'd signed with someone else who knows where he may have been.

Arazern

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
To be honest I’ve watched Blake Brailey last three weekends and I’d put JMK ahead of him yet people on here are calling him an upgrade? Expectation versus reality hooker can only play off a forward pack ours has been rubbish for a while I’m happy to watch JMK over the next 5 games if he can show the same form in 4 of those games he is worth a 250k contract. Even Cook playing last night didn’t do anything that I would say he is head and shoulders ahead and he is NSW and Australian hooker.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
I’m not blind to Elliotts fault but he’s the least of our worries.
he has a high ceiling and can rip up on his day.
Elliott has cost us at least one win this season and his form has been absolute shit.

Yes he can play better like last game but he is way to inconsistent & error prone for one of the more senior players in the team and who is getting paid good money.

piggy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If we can get him cheap as a back up I'm all for it.
If last week's performance becomes his benchmark he'll be an acceptable NRL 9
Na...he can piss off.....we have enough Reggie players

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
We've been bitten by this sort of form and the timing of it in the past... Once bitten, twice shy..
Let’s see what he does the next four Or five games.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Na...he can piss off.....we have enough Reggie players
Player,
Please understand that every nrl squad is a balance of marquee, competent and depth.
it’s why our players either kick on well elsewhere or they don’t.
he’s number 2 and all we need is a number 1 to be there with him.

UndeadShadowMan

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We can just offer most of our off contact players minimum wage for depth because no other clubs will probably want them

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
To be honest I’ve watched Blake Brailey last three weekends and I’d put JMK ahead of him yet people on here are calling him an upgrade? Expectation versus reality hooker can only play off a forward pack ours has been rubbish for a while I’m happy to watch JMK over the next 5 games if he can show the same form in 4 of those games he is worth a 250k contract. Even Cook playing last night didn’t do anything that I would say he is head and shoulders ahead and he is NSW and Australian hooker.
I can't be bothered to publish all the stats right now - but Brailey, at 3 years and 20 games his junior is pretty much better or at worst, comparable to anything JMK dishes up.

The eye test backs this up, the passing is crisp and off the ground, the running game is coherent and effective.

no1bulldog

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
1 good game in 3yrs sorry not good enough, you guys not wanting to let him go I reckon are hoarders I’d hate to see all the crap in your houses

Apex Cedar

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
1 good game in 3yrs sorry not good enough, you guys not wanting to let him go I reckon are hoarders I’d hate to see all the crap in your houses
Mate it would be a disaster if we let him go without signing any 9s before

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Good stuff.. go for it JMK.!!!

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
You seem to have a poor memory. Lichaa had played for NSW at U20s level & was considered a rising star. The big issue with him is that he was a running hooker & Hasler wanted a tackling machine hooker & tried to change his whole rugby league style. I feel sorry for him. If he'd signed with someone else who knows where he may have been.
You are half right and half very very wrong.

He was considered a rising young talent and probably did play origin.

But i bet i could point out players from that team who never saw first grade.

Aaron schoupp also played origin and for Oz in grade, but i dont see anyone moving anyone else on to accomodate him? he has had to prove himself.
Even Suuali whos clearly a superstar was eased in at nobodies expense yet.

And Des may have stifled him as you said, despite adding the defensive string to his bow, but why did he not become some super runner when Pay extended him for 2 years?

Is it Des/Deans fault he couldnt properly pass left to right? and was slow and clunky?
That feels basic to me.

I remember being at Stadium australia in 2019 agaijst souths (i think) and he just keopt getting caufht out of position, he threw the ball to no one once out of psanic and was dropping balls and his teammates were grilling him.
he was clearly hopeless.

And if he is such a misused star, why, in a comp with serious hooker issues, did no one throw him a minimum contract to try realise this amazing talent he apparently has?
Coaches love the unpolished diamond.

Not one coach in the NRL, including the guy that signed him, thought he would be good enough for third string hooker. They looked at him and saw these serious issues and realised he should never have been anywhere near firsts. Despite being still young.

he even publically said he would answer the call to the warriors last year for minimum and they were like 'no thanks'.

So now you need to think.
Who is seeing it wrong here?
Nasheed+3/4 of TK+the entire nrl coaching community, or Chisdog?

MichaelM

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are we possibly missing the point here?

We are currently unable to sign one hooker better than JMK at the moment.

katoa is not even a hooker so forget him.

The question and challenge we face is can we find 2 hookers better than JMK and secondly would that be the best use of our cap.

kmr07

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agree. Blayke Brailey is nothing special. Was hyped up through the juniors but has done nothing at NRL level

Arazern

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I can't be bothered to publish all the stats right now - but Brailey, at 3 years and 20 games his junior is pretty much better or at worst, comparable to anything JMK dishes up.

The eye test backs this up, the passing is crisp and off the ground, the running game is coherent and effective.
As I said Ive watched him closely over the last 3 games and compared to JMK last game he isn’t a better option and would command more dollar so I see him as a backwards step. If JMK can keep that tempo up it’s a waste of cap for no increase. Would like to see him in a pack dominating and see what his game looks like I highly doubt even Grant would look like the star he is if he doesn’t have a forward pack punching the line and quick play the balls.