Opinion Off contract hookers 2022

KingBurton

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
If we don’t get Brandon Smith for 2022, should we persist with an average hooker short term and suffer the pain because there’s quality talent coming off contract.

2022 off contract:

1. Api Korisau (has a tremendous relationship with Baz, followed him out the door at Penrith [2015] then to Manly [2016-19] then when he was bound to link up with us Baz convinced him to join Penrith. I think if Baz wants Korisau, he’ll lock him in easily for 2023

2. Brandon smith - we all know his contract situation, very high asking price.

3. Reed Mahoney - has really developed this year selected for starting hooker in origin. Apparently a boyhood dogs fan and even follows them on Instagram.

4. Brayden and Jake Brailey

5. Josh Hodgson

do we play the long game and save cap space for 2023 for the talent that’s going on the market? Even Ryan Papenhuzen is off contract - he was a bulldogs tragic back in the day.

I think the realistic outcome would probably be Api provided his relationship with TBaz and B Smith appearing less keen to come to the Bulldogs.

thoughts?

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If we don’t get Brandon Smith for 2022, should we persist with an average hooker short term and suffer the pain because there’s quality talent coming off contract.

2022 off contract:

1. Api Korisau (has a tremendous relationship with Baz, followed him out the door at Penrith [2015] then to Manly [2016-19] then when he was bound to link up with us Baz convinced him to join Penrith. I think if Baz wants Korisau, he’ll lock him in easily for 2023

3. Reed Mahoney - has really developed this year selected for starting hooker in origin. Apparently a boyhood dogs fan and even follows them on Instagram.

5. Josh Hodgson

do we play the long game and save cap space for 2023 for the talent that’s going on the market? Even Ryan Papenhuzen is off contract - he was a bulldogs tragic back in the day.

I think the realistic outcome would probably be Api provided his relationship with TBaz and B Smith appearing less keen to come to the Bulldogs.

thoughts?
You made be LOL here.
Its Blayke and Jayden.

My take on all of these is Reed Mahoney hands down.
He is very young and has a massive future ahead of him but I cant see the Eels letting him go without a big fight plus half the NRL would be after him too.

I think Api and Hodgson would be getting on a bit by 2023 and if B Smith doesn't want to come here, then really it would have to be one of the Brailey brothers unless someone else pops up.

Jabba

Kennel Participant
Reaction score

2022 off contract:

5. Josh Hodgson

thoughts?
I know a few other clubs where there are off contract hookers

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Out of those hookers

1. Smith
2. Mahoney
3. Koroisau
4. J. Brailey
5. B. Brailey
6. Hodgson

(considering age + ability)

A lot/almost all of them won't come for the same/different reasons.

craigo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
But we signed our rockstar hooker JMK he is our saviour from the play of the ball

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
We missed the boat on Starling last season... I still think Blayke Brailey has alot more to offer we haven't seen yet... However if the rules stay the same we need a running hooker.

Rockdog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Gee Starling scored a good try last night. Reminded me of Damien Cook with that speed.

Greenmachine121

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Reckon there would be a few off contract hookers around …. With lockdowns and all

Bulldog wazza

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Out of those hookers

1. Smith
2. Mahoney
3. Koroisau
4. J. Brailey
5. B. Brailey
6. Hodgson

(considering age + ability)

A lot/almost all of them won't come for the same/different reasons.
Would be great if we nabbed Api 1st option and Hodgson on the cheap. Injuries and SOO covered.
Topine and JMK still there in cover with mentoring to develop them from the new recruits.