Official Oasis? Article: Canterbury Leagues plans development down Canterbury Rd

Fund a new stadium?

• Total voters

Hound Dog

Kennel Established
Reaction score

Hound Dog

Kennel Established
Reaction score

Note the Western Sydney International Airport and developments

The state and local governments want development, it's not uncommon they also help fund projects without expecting return on investments, to promote economy.

Hound Dog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Some more reading

Clubs are not allowed to pay dividends, so they must find other uses for surplus money. Historically, the main beneficiary has been a footy club. Mainly with these Not For Profit clubs, the profit goes back to the community, so a club gives some money to junior clubs a portion of their profits and reinvest in themselves, that is, they renovate, buy other clubs and machines, etc and just try grow bigger (or get milked by their executives).

Hound Dog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Some further reading from old

The top 20 NSW clubs give back 29% of their net profit to the community through the ClubGrants scheme,” the spokesman said.

Mounties, Mount Pritchard
Dooleys Lidcombe Catholic Club, Lidcombe
Bankstown Sports Club, Bankstown
Canterbury League Club, Belmore
Cabra-Vale Ex-Active Servicemen’s Club, Canley Vale

Rooty Hill RSL Club, Rooty Hill
Wentworthville Leagues Club
Revesby Workers’ Club, Revesby
Parramatta Leagues Club, Parramatta
Liverpool Catholic Club, Liverpool

The Top 10 NSW list alone is ridiculous, 7 of those 10 clubs could be approached in the discussion for a Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs stadium in Liverpool, let's say 10% of net profits are given back to the community, the Bulldogs.

Hound Dog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
My understanding and view: The Bulldogs need a long term plan for future generations not just in ours, to ensure the club is relevant for the next 50 years. We don't want to be a museum club like the Dragons or in the discussion of merging or collapsing. Other clubs like Penrith, and Sharks (who not long ago were being talked of relocating but now fast becoming a powerhouse with their stadium and project developments) are improving big time. "The Cronulla-Sutherland Rugby League Club own the stadium and Leagues Club next door, the only club in the NRL to own their own stadium. Local councils usually own sporting venues in Australia." Sharks are going through a phase since the grand final, funding and upgrading their stadium too.

I realise the NRL has become profitable and may eventually consider things like building their own stadium like what the AFL done but this would mean most likely The Bulldogs ground share and profit less, ground sharing doesn't garner the locals like a Penrith stadium for eg.

Bulldogs chief executive Aaron Warbuton seems astute and with the encouragement of Gus, Laundy Hotels, and Co can maybe bandy a consortium of these clubs and state and local governments for a stadium, something to not rival or put their own interests at harm but still "give back to the community". Stadium to be owned and operated by the Bulldogs to be the sole operator and lease out the stadium to teams like Macarthur FC, host WNRL and other tournaments and concerts. Laundy Hotels is a private company, I don't expect them to grant money unless they expect return on investment but they'd probably assist with the process and connections to people in power. Bulldogs can always have 2 home games played,1 "Belmore Round" and 1 "Country Bumpkins" round on a country field a season while having this new fortress.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
My understanding and view: The Bulldogs need a long term plan for future generations not just in ours, to ensure the club is relevant for the next 50 years. We don't want to be a museum club like the Dragons or in the discussion of merging or collapsing. Other clubs like Penrith, and Sharks (who not long ago were being talked of relocating but now fast becoming a powerhouse with their stadium and project developments) are improving big time. "The Cronulla-Sutherland Rugby League Club own the stadium and Leagues Club next door, the only club in the NRL to own their own stadium. Local councils usually own sporting venues in Australia." Sharks are going through a phase since the grand final, funding and upgrading their stadium too.

I realise the NRL has become profitable and may eventually consider things like building their own stadium like what the AFL done but this would mean most likely The Bulldogs ground share and profit less, ground sharing doesn't garner the locals like a Penrith stadium for eg.

Bulldogs chief executive Aaron Warbuton seems astute and with the encouragement of Gus, Laundy Hotels, and Co can maybe bandy a consortium of these clubs and state and local governments for a stadium, something to not rival or put their own interests at harm but still "give back to the community". Stadium to be owned and operated by the Bulldogs to be the sole operator and lease out the stadium to teams like Macarthur FC, host WNRL and other tournaments and concerts. Laundy Hotels is a private company, I don't expect them to grant money unless they expect return on investment but they'd probably assist with the process and connections to people in power. Bulldogs can always have 2 home games played,1 "Belmore Round" and 1 "Country Bumpkins" round on a country field a season while having this new fortress.
the problem is alot of the older bulldog fans and thats probably 60% dont live anywhere near belmore or liverpool.
im in north west sydney so accor stadium or parramatta evern more so is better for us.
i would not go to a liverpool home game unless we were in top4 and competing

Hound Dog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
the problem is alot of the older bulldog fans and thats probably 60% dont live anywhere near belmore or liverpool.
im in north west sydney so accor stadium or parramatta evern more so is better for us.
I get you , Liverpool isn't the most convenient for me too but it's not about myself.

We have to realise though that the governments are and have heavily investing infrastructure for that part of town, it's becoming quicker to get to from most parts of Sydney. Traditionalists should realise Liverpool , Milperra has been historically a foothold for Bulldogs, a part of town other clubs like Wests Tigers are slowly taking up with fans and junior base

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
I get you , Liverpool isn't the most convenient for me too but it's not about myself.

We have to realise though that the governments are and have heavily investing infrastructure for that part of town, it's becoming quicker to get to from most parts of Sydney. Traditionalists should realise Liverpool , Milperra has been historically a foothold for Bulldogs, a part of town other clubs like Wests Tigers are slowly taking up with fans and junior base
is Liverpool even part of our boundries? remember that accor pays us huge money, and when we get 20,000 plus the atmosphere is good, not as good as parra tho

Hound Dog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
is Liverpool even part of our boundries? remember that accor pays us huge money, and when we get 20,000 plus the atmosphere is good, not as good as parra tho
This is why the NRL and Clubs need to be transparent in their activities >:(
Referring to the Bulldogs annual statements I think Bulldogs earn a measly $100k or $200 a season from Stadium Australia or Accor playing there and earn the tickets and gate takings ($2-2.5m a season I think), I'm not sure about the other stuff gameday earnings.

It's not too clear yearly, Bulldogs and generally other clubs aren't too clear on this stuff.

I tell you what, Gus helps the fans with this sort of information, Bulldogs and NRL overall were bad providing information to the fans, we could only refer to journalist reports.

Harry Oz

Kennel Established
Reaction score
What about a stadium at Badgerys Creek and the Aerotropolis?
Interstate fans would be able to fly to games convenient to the airport and hotels.
Fast trains and motorways from all over Sydney.
Plus there are going to be a lot of people living out there, plenty of young talent as families move t the region.
Lots of new businesses looking for sponsorship opportunities.
We could change our name to The Jets.
Which club actually has this fast growing catchment at the moment? Panthers I assume? Or Roosters?

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The dream of our own stadium and licensed club near each other is amazing. The reality is very very slim though.

Liverpool isn’t too far. Jump onto the m5 at bexley road which is 10 mins from belmore and it’s another 15-25 mins on the m5 and you are there.

Imagine having a 25k seater with decent parking onsite or street parking. Go to the game then go next door for a $40 schnitzel and a few drinks. Players walk in grab a few photos. Would make a great game day.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Guys... let's just end all the stadium talk. It's never going to happen.

Sydney Olympic Park is good enough for home games. It's out of the way but not too far away, easily accessible by trains.
Belmore, our spiritual kennel, will always be there to host a couple of games per year.

Liverpool. While it's not too far, parking there, like Belmore, is atrocious.

End of story.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, Is our logo on Stadium Australia?

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
I think there is a contingent of older dogs fans as you say in the norwest district but there is a shitload in the southwest also who would fill Liverpool in a heartbeat. There will be no trouble getting people to games if it’s a good stadium. There is a reason why the club was considering this many years ago with the Oasis project.

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I think there is a contingent of older dogs fans as you say in the norwest district but there is a shitload in the southwest also who would fill Liverpool in a heartbeat. There will be no trouble getting people to games if it’s a good stadium. There is a reason why the club was considering this many years ago with the Oasis project.
Nah man. 60% of all dogs fans live in the north west…………………