NSW Origin five-eighth Josh Reynolds a Bulldog who won't roll over for anyone

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
NSW Origin five-eighth Josh Reynolds a Bulldog who won't roll over for anyone

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...wont-roll-over-for-anyone-20140521-zrkbs.html

When you consider his path to the Origin arena, which included a train-off only to become the bench player who never came off the bench, you know Josh Reynolds won't take his sky-blue jersey for granted.

While some see the Reynolds as a stop-gap while the likes of halves Luke Brooks or Mitchell Pearce grow up - each in their own way - this Bulldog has no intention of rolling over for anyone.

"Obviously many things have happened over the last couple of years and there have been a few different combinations," said one half of a new Blues pairing which includes Bulldogs teammate Trent Hodkinson. "For myself and Trent, it's more about playing our own game. Hopefully we can do the job and I take a lot of confidence in that they put their belief in us. People can have their own [opinion]. I know for a fact I'm not the silkiest player going around and Trent can probably tell you the same.

"I know he's got my back and he's knows I've got his. That goes a long way. You can be the most talented guy in the world and not trust the guy inside you. That's one area where we will never let each other down and that's definitely the culture you're trying to build."

Advertisement
The contrast with the opposition No.6 couldn't be more stark. Johnathan Thurson has any number of signature moves, most notably the show and go, which have fooled the southerners for eight years straight. Reynolds provides an altogether different spark. The opening 10 rounds of the NRL season for his beloved Bulldogs have been the perfect preparation for Origin. Most matches have been tight, even dour, affairs. On most occasions, thanks largely to Reynolds and Hodkinson, they have made the winning play.

Which is why he is excited rather than daunted by marking up on Thurston. "It's awesome, he's one of the best, if not the best, player in the world," he said. "It really excites me that I get to go up against him on the big stage. They're the guys you chase, the guys who have set the benchmark for years now. I can't wait to challenge myself. People say 'are you nervous?'. I'm not nervous, I'm really excited to challenge myself against someone who has done so many things in the game."

Reynolds could well have been a member of Laurie Daley's 17 had it not been for Pearce's Kings Cross bender. But rather than coming off the bench he is expected to control the tempo from the outset in the 100th Origin match. "It's different in the fact I know what my role is," he said. "I'm in the halves, that's what I want to do and Laurie and a few of the boys have said they need to control the team even though it's a bit of a daunting thing. You've got guys like Gal [Paul Gallen], Lewie [Luke Lewis], Haynesy [Jarryd Hayne], who have played so many Origin games already and try to put your stamp on things and run the boys around the park. It's easy for us because they're a great bunch of guys, there are no heads in there that think they're better than anyone else. That will make it a bit easier."

Reynolds' introduction into the Origin arena was one of the more unusual. When selectors couldn't split him and South Sydney counterpart John Sutton, they trained off for a spot. Reynolds won, only to spend the entire 80 minutes of his Origin debut watching helplessly from the interchange bench. "It was definitely disappointing, I'm never shy to say that," he said. "Laurie said to me 'I'd be a bit upset if you weren't disappointed'. I had a look at it and what do you do? If I went away, kicked stones and chucked a tantrum ... the boys won the game and that's what matters. That's the big thing I try to live by. It's definitely not about you, you're not the only player out there. I got to get out there in game II and play footy, which is great. I'm hopefully part of the family now."

Sherwin_7

Shifty Sherwin
Reaction score
I love all these articles on the boys. It makes the wait for Friday's game less boring. We all love the heart that Josh shows. He will fire the boys up next week and will get in the face of the Queenslanders. I give him 7 minutes before he is involved in a confrontation.

Stoofy

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Hodko & Reynolds will obviously work well together but it will be interesting to see if they can gel with Farah.

I will be watching very keenly hoping for a great performance!

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
If passion took up space inside a jersey Reynolds would need a bigger jersey than Kasiano. Like Reynolds says himself, he doesn't have the silky skill set of an in form Marshall or Thurston but he will play with a passion that inspires his team mates from the opening whistle till the fat lady leaves the stage. Great origin teams are built on the spirit of guys like Reynolds. I hope he earns the respect of every NSW fan like he has for the Bulldogs on Wednesday and helps the blues come away with a win.

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Mark my words there will be a stink and the instigator will be reynolds. Hopefully its with thats scumbag hodges.

Ndawai

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wonder if there any exotic bets for who fights in Origin? Hodges has gotta be up there - i havent seen him throw any good punches, is he any good guys?

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
No one will fight thanks to the no punching rule :(

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
The one thing I don't understand about the article.. Why do people see Reynolds (5/8) as a stop gap measure for Pearce and Brooks (both halfbacks)?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Hodko & Reynolds will obviously work well together but it will be interesting to see if they can gel with Farah.

I will be watching very keenly hoping for a great performance!
I dont really think anyone gels with Farah. He does it his way all the time. And that may cause the undoing of the blues.

Powerslide

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I dont really think anyone gels with Farah. He does it his way all the time. And that may cause the undoing of the blues.
Well in the coming years we will have the 5/8, Half and Hooker for NSW SOO with Lichaa replacing Farah. Maybe Daley is looking into his crystal ball and seeing future dominance of SOO. We can dream I guess.....

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
"not the silkiest skilled player " This is not a disadvantage,its the beauty of Josh.

To loosely quote a quote from Aiden Tolman from preseason "he is a fantastic playmaker and unpredictable ,half the time the rest of the team don't know what his up to which is a defensive players nightmare, Des has given Josh free rein to play what's in front of him "

And it has paid off more times than not. I hope Daley takes a tip from Des's coaching.

the Coyote

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
A few years ago I saw Josh playing for the NSW Residents , we were down at the time with not long to go,
Reynolds put on a stink... might have got binned?? ... the boys fired up and we got home..

Timmy Browne also played for the NSW Residents that game...

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It's not the size of the dog that matters, it's the size of the fight in the dog that counts and Josh is our little bull terrier. Our boys have been given a chance to show the rest of the NRL something that us Bulldogs already know, that is that Josh and Trent on their worst days are that much better than Pearce and Maloney on their best days. Our boys don't sit around sipping lattes with their pinkies up in the air or have boys only naked BBQ get together s at Maloney's place. We drink beer eat kebabs chase chicks and with every passing victory the dogs are having a party.

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
It's not the size of the dog that matters, it's the size of the fight in the dog that counts and Josh is our little bull terrier. Our boys have been given a chance to show the rest of the NRL something that us Bulldogs already know, that is that Josh and Trent on their worst days are that much better than Pearce and Maloney on their best days. Our boys don't sit around sipping lattes with their pinkies up in the air or have boys only naked BBQ get together s at Maloney's place. We drink beer eat kebabs chase chicks and with every passing victory the dogs are having a party.
Kebabs and Charcoal Chicken for life!

Also Reynolds bite is huge and thats what makes him effective

Status
Not open for further replies.